It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien citylights on TITAN

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
PsykoOps:

Yes I am. And the reason for Kari Salmelainen's photo, do we really need one?
He's Kari Salmelainen! (possibly an E.T too)

Napakymppi \,,/

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drol Asharin
PsykoOps:

Yes I am. And the reason for Kari Salmelainen's photo, do we really need one?
He's Kari Salmelainen! (possibly an E.T too)

Napakymppi \,,/

I've always had my suspicions too, this must be the beginning of the end

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by electric
If you reached a planet with intelligent life, like we have here on Earth, you wouldn't even need to look at the surface of the planet to assertain there is/was intelligent life there. We have 1000's of man made satellites in orbit and the ISS in a 90 minute orbit.

I doubt that is accurate. Even here on earth when human civilizations discover other human civilizations, technology and lifestyles between groups can be and usually is vastly different. An alien civilization would likely be even further removed from how we conduct ourselves and create technology.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I doubt that is accurate. Even here on earth when human civilizations discover other human civilizations, technology and lifestyles between groups can be and usually is vastly different. An alien civilization would likely be even further removed from how we conduct ourselves and create technology.

Well, that argument, which I'm not saying is false, would also be a valid argument against the topic of this thread. Why should we expect other civilisations to have artificial lighting sources? I mean, Titan, for example, is already filled with virtual fart gas (methane). How would artificial lighting make this any more bearable for the occupants?

I don't see anything wrong with my statement because I did say ", like we have here on Earth ..." Or, as astrobiologists usually put it "life as we know it."

Of course, there could be, and probably are, civilisations that will differ greatly from what we know and understand. But, a civilisation that has use for artificial lighting sources on the surface of their planet (or moon) is already a great similiarity.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0951

Originally posted by electric
If you reached a planet with intelligent life, like we have here on Earth [...]

Sorry, I was amused by the potential for irony in this bit of the post.

I was referring to Bottlenose Dolphins

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I've read that light on the surface of Titan is pretty dim, owing to that moon's thick atmosphere. It follows that any creatures that evolved on its surface would either not use visual senses or would have extremely heightened visual senses... so why would intelligent life on Titan even need city lights? imgagine, for fun, that some breed of fish at the bottom of the ocean had developed intelligence without our knowing it... do you imagine that they would consider continous lighting a priority? In the same sense, I imagine that real 'Titans' would not put a priority on artificial lighting.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join