It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ANON Has Shut Down My Business--Paypal Related

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
This sucks man, sorry to hear that. I could only imagine how many other people are affected, especially the huge amounts of orders on ebay going on for the holiday seasons.

But should Paypal, a financial institution be susceptible to DDOS attacks?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Wow are people really this confused about what Anonymous is and what Anonymous does? No one was forced to do anything. Anyone that downloaded and used LOIC had no idea who they were getting it from and those that shared links to the software had no idea who they were giving the link to. This software has been around for a long time. It wasn't created specifically for Operation Payback. That is how Anonymous works. That is why it is called Anonymous.

No one is being arrested. The 16 year old kid this morning was just a scare tactic that slightly worked on Anonymous. The IRC servers that were organizing Operation Payback are falling apart and the leadership is faulting.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by janon
Wow are people really this confused about what Anonymous is and what Anonymous does? No one was forced to do anything. Anyone that downloaded and used LOIC had no idea who they were getting it from and those that shared links to the software had no idea who they were giving the link to. This software has been around for a long time. It wasn't created specifically for Operation Payback. That is how Anonymous works. That is why it is called Anonymous.

No one is being arrested. The 16 year old kid this morning was just a scare tactic that slightly worked on Anonymous. The IRC servers that were organizing Operation Payback are falling apart and the leadership is faulting.

Im sure that happened in some cases.. but the scripts were spoken about on an irc channel and then contacts were made. There was not just one script... or just one origin. Some of the snagged conversations off of the IRC channel; were discussing the different ways to do this and also using them to make money.. Anon wasnt just the hidden scripts.. by any means. It was a nice cover story, but was blown out of the water almost immediately. Some of it was slipped into the torrent sites.. is that what you are talking about?
Also, one guy was talking to a parent on the yahoo board and the parent was asking how to figure out where the son who was arrested in WIsconsin had went ( to the kids friends) because he was suing someone over this. Apparently the dad was contacted at work and had NO idea what the "cops" were talking about.

I guess we all have to realize.. there is NO privacy on the net anymore. Things are copied and shared everywhere.

I forgot to add that there were TONS of people out there claiming to be THE anon creator.. and then passing off scripts and all kinds of weird info. Im not too sure what to make of that other than some people really are in a fantasy world on the internet... and play games with real lives.
edit on 9-12-2010 by Advantage because: added someting

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by porschedrifter

it technically should they probably have more bandwidth available than the internet can provide ... who knows maybe it's a false flag to control our internet.. they sure picked a good one... :p

they could have used round robin DNS to a ton of different IPs

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I'm sorry. I'm having a time trying to decipher what you wrote. What "script" are you referring to?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

me calling you names now ?? interesting, i asked a question, funny that you would answer in such a manner. Disinfo you say --> actually, the thought crossed my mind, however, in this situation, it is far too premature to claim such.
Personally, i believe the propaganda machine is blowing smoke in sooo many directions at once that i'll be the next generation that deciphers any of it ... and that's only if they have time to give a rats patuti in between their slave labor and servitude.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Are you "special"? Their mission statement has ZERO to do with anything I have written.

What does it matter what funds they released. Wiki would not have come out and said that the fund had been released, unless it was the funds in question.

Are you under the impression that you are the only intelligent life form on earth? It is exactly the opposite!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GenRadek
I'm just wondering how many of you out there that support WikiLeaks would like it if all of a sudden all of your personal emails, facebook messages, private IMs, myspace info, etc started to come up on a website for all to see? All of your personal messages, notes, private chats, photos became available for all to see? All in the name of "transparency"? And then to have it supported by PayPal or some other money transfer site. Wouldnt you wish to put pressure on that site to stop supporting it? PayPal has a right to deny service to whomever it wishes. Some of the material released by wikileaks should be kept secret. How many of you would jump for joy if our missile launch codes were posted and updated daily? How about our deplyed forces? Military strengths? What about bank accounts? More Top Secret materials that put our national security in jeoparody. Whats to stop WL from posting that if they got their hands on it? Why not China's secret cables? Or Russia's? Why arent they leaking their documents?

What makes you think they would post such things if they got them?

Definitions of 'whistleblowing'.

Why assume they would leak every government document they got their hands on? The whole point is that they are in this to EXPOSE wrongdoing. Think about it rationally. How would posting such information as you describe above fit into that? You're using illogical extremes to make your point.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mari0

it technically should they probably have more bandwidth available than the internet can provide ... who knows maybe it's a false flag to control our internet.. they sure picked a good one... :p

they could have used round robin DNS to a ton of different IPs

This is exactly what I had feared was going on when I read that pathetic manifesto.. and then read the other stuff concerning the operations. It sure seemed a lot like what is described as a false flag to me.Particularly in choosing those places to flood. No one likes money tampered with.. and this was one thing that most people who still buy into the idea that the govt still gives a hoot about us would be in line with. Regardless of how some of us feel here.. I fear the majority of us still give up certain freedoms for the illusion that our money is safe.. or even ours!

Also, with the robin.. consider ttl time.
I doubt it was used.. but then again.. I figure many methods were used and still no major disruption. If people realized this theyd see how impotent this whole thing was and not buy into a false flag deal.. who knows. Lots of rumor though.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I'm sorry. I'm having a time trying to decipher what you wrote. What "script" are you referring to?

Im unsure what Im writing about to be honest.. just trying to figure it all out for myself as well! What Im reading is about a script that was passed around that was part of the operation.. it was between individuals on IRC.. and then other torrent sites. It was a hit not only by flooding the servers to cause a delay in service, but some part of this at one point had tried a certain script that did something with the actual money holdings. People were told that the script was to flood the site.. but it wasnt. Im reading right now and I really cant understand a lot of the technical things that are spoken about.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

a script meaning a program that would run on a computer and use the computer's internet connection to send out all it can to a certain "host" (host being a server or a service) so run this script on many computers and you use all those computers to send data to the "host"

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resurrectio

Are you "special"? Their mission statement has ZERO to do with anything I have written.

What does it matter what funds they released. Wiki would not have come out and said that the fund had been released, unless it was the funds in question.

Are you under the impression that you are the only intelligent life form on earth? It is exactly the opposite!

I have no clue what your problem with me is.. Im sitting on here discussing things and trying to understand them. If you are reading some attitude or whatever into my posts.. its in your own head. No, Im not special.. Im a normal person without all of the pieces just like you. You didnt like it because I would not "concede": and bow to you.. sorry. Youre another poster and I disagree with your opinion. Thats not changing.

Now ignore me. I wont address anything else to you. Do the same.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

STOP BEING A BLIND SHEEP!!!!! the servers affected aren't the same servers that have been DDOS attacked.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   

So basically you have no idea what you are talking about and just making it up as you go along. Gotcha.

Your version sounds like an interesting episode of Law and Order but it's very far from what actually happened.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mari0

a script meaning a program that would run on a computer and use the computer's internet connection to send out all it can to a certain "host" (host being a server or a service) so run this script on many computers and you use all those computers to send data to the "host"

Okay, so what would be the difference between this script that was supposedly hidden and used without the user knowing ( one was out on the torrents and was an EXE file put in with other files to download) and the one thats been passed around now? This means some people knew they were doing this and some didnt, correct? WHat Im understanding is that the hidden script was out there as well.. so they could claim they were anonymous.. but there was a secondary script on IRC that was handed to people within that interest group. This secondary group was also claiming to be associated with Anon or the creator of Anon themselves... as in the guy who wrote the manifesto. Then there was the guy who actually did a face on camera interview that was supposedly with Anon..

all pretty confusing.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

So basically you have no idea what you are talking about and just making it up as you go along. Gotcha.

Your version sounds like an interesting episode of Law and Order but it's very far from what actually happened.

WOW.. people who support this are pretty nasty tonight. Nope.. I have no idea what it all is about, nor do you. Im reading off of an IRC capture right now on another forum. I am asking questions.. and making sur ethat I added in that it was RUMOR.. to take it with a grain of salt. I cant be any more clear that it is not fact than that.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
A basic primer on the concept of DDoS is here.

While there are some variants which are a bit more elegant than this... The basic premise is the same.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked
Errrm, that's a crappy analogy though isn't it? What if a postie delayed your mail or destroyed it because (even though it's from a legitimate organisation), the postie didn't agree with their policies to other organisations? So let's say you receive a cheque from your government/tax centre/whatever, but your postie is opposed to them and burns the cheque...... you happy? Surely that is a closer analogy?

Point was, I used an extreme analogy to show him how ridiculous his extreme analogy was.

2nd line - two by two with hands of blue

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
reply to post by Solasis

You have yet to answer my question: How would 8 hours of disrupted paypal service take food off of small business owners' tables? It denies them revenue, but how is 8 hours' worth of revenue going to make that difference?

it is obvious that you and all the little fan boys and girls have no clue what it means to have others depend on you or run your own business. 8 Hours of revenues could mean weeks or even months worth of food depending on how much revenue is expected. Many small businesses have folded in this economy while others are struggling to survive. 8 hours could be a severe blow and may even be the final nail. For my self my business is a year old and cannot support us yet so I do handyman and odd jobs to try and stay alive, so missing 8 hours of business is a sever blow.

Okay so if 8 hours can mean weeks worth of food, then what about the other 16 hours in a day? You continue not to actually explain anything. Just to assert "THIS IS TRUE." And to just blindly insult me, jerk.

But people like you who have no clue, many supported by thier parents smugly sit back and tell us to just suck it up and make the sacrifice. Remember that when your living under a bridge when it all collapses.

So if we are to make the sacrifice how about spreading out the pain and you donate to us and make some sacrifice yourself so we can dump paypal and afford all the fees for an inferior service? Any takers?

Didn't think so, sacrifice is good as long as your not the one who has to make it.... Mhmmm... And some numbskull called me a hypocrite earlier in the thread

Look you incomprehensible ball of rage and ignorant "sarcasm," I'm not telling you to make a sacrifice or saying that I wouldn't. I'm telling you to explain why this is such a fatal sacrifice, because I don't know how to imagine this being such a problem. I can certainly imagine it being a blow, but I really cannot comprehend how your business is that precarious. Just goddamn EXPLAIN something for once in this miserable thread. If you were just upset over lost revenue, that would be fine! But no, you are accusing Anon of starving people, and I DON'T SEE HOW THAT'S POSSIBLE. Instead of saying how it's possible you're just going "lol ignorant tard."

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Please Google Straw Man Argument.

I know exactly who Anon is and what they are.

Turning the conversation from Anon's actions hurting innocent people to another topic is a classic Straw Man Argument. It's a tactic used by people trying to defend the indefensible, like the Politicians you hate for doing the same thing.

NO. That is not a straw man. Straw Man is what YOU are doing -- building a caricature of people and criticizing that rather than their actual actions.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

A basic primer on the concept of DDoS is here.

While there are some variants which are a bit more elegant than this... The basic premise is the same.

~Heff

Okay.. I get that much in a way. If this was all it was it accomplished nothing. However, since one poster mentioned that it actually did accomplish something I went to one of hubby's links.. and am reading that it was much more than a ddos.. but that part of it was unsuccessful. WHat Im trying to understand is what this second part actually is.. if in fact there was a second part. People who say thet are anon passed it around.. but they may not be. Some are saying they dont believe that anon was doing anything other than a ddos. Its this other thing I described that I dont understand.

FOr me.. Ppal wasnt down more than 30 minutes and then no problems were reported by anyone else on te paypal board. SO I assume that the whole ddos accomplished nothing. It was illegal that Ppal kept the funds they were holding already before their sanction of the account. They released them but are upholding the sanction so no more funds can be sent to wiki through them. SO was this whole thing actually about getting a few grand out of PP that they had to legally release anyway??

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join