It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assange could face espionage trial in US

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
This is not good.

And entirely unexpected...

Assange will never spend a day
in prison. There will be a technicality
somewhere where he will be released
back into the services of the CIA.

Same thing happened to Clay Burtram (spelling)
during the JFK Trial. Scott Free !!!
Clay laughed at the DA.
Julian will too.
Can't touch me

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Anybody out there remember the Watergate Scandal? Wiki Leaks is the Watergate to the Nth degree.

Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein became "hero's" for uncovering, with the help of deep throat (W. Mark Felt) and making public the Nixon crimes...even though Nixon was pardoned by pres. Ford the public was given the
TRUTH.

All Assage is doing is giving the TRUTH to the American public. This should be considered heroic on his part...but then...the government has gotten so cut throat compared to Nixon times and will stop at nothing to hide it's putrid secrets from the rest of the world at any cost.

We the people must stand up to this sham of a government, people such as Assage are the wake up call to do your part before it's too late...because time is running out. Striking when the time is right must be done...no more waiting. He who waits too long looses the chance.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Holly N.R.A.
All Assage is doing is giving the TRUTH to the American public. This should be considered heroic on his part...but then...the government has gotten so cut throat compared to Nixon times and will stop at nothing to hide it's putrid secrets from the rest of the world at any cost.

We the people must stand up to this sham of a government, people such as Assage are the wake up call to do your part before it's too late...because time is running out. Striking when the time is right must be done...no more waiting. He who waits too long looses the chance.

Quoted for the truth, Well said!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by aRogue
Agreed and it's great to see, but Gillard aka the puppet holds the power to act, does she not? And whatever America says, she does. This was blatantly obvious from her previous press conference about Assange.

Yes but she is starting to crack..
Twice she has stated Julian commited a crime and twice she has been asked WHAT crime..

Both times she couldn't answer..
Aussies are awake to the lies..
It's all over the news..

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

This is not good.

Clay laughed at the DA.
Julian will too.
Can't touch me

If Wikileaks has been CIA since the 90's as you have theorised,
then why was it down at times due to lack of funding??
I always thought the CIA had plenty of money, especially with it's Soros/drug connection..

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
The USA might not be able to charge him with espionage.

But i do believe they would have a very good case for copyright violation.

Download and distribute music or movies and you have seen what happens to people that do.

Get arrested for downloading and distributing US government property and get a count for each diplomatic cable.
If the gave him a year for each cable he would have a couple hundred years at least.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

Download and distribute music or movies and you have seen what happens to people that do.

Get arrested for downloading and distributing US government property and get a count for each diplomatic cable.
If the gave him a year for each cable he would have a couple hundred years at least.

I dont see how - we the people OWN them ???

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Hmmm, I wasn't aware the US Government filed copyright applications for every cable they sent..
Nah, I doubt that scenario would work...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Hmmm, I wasn't aware the US Government filed copyright applications for every cable they sent..
Nah, I doubt that scenario would work...

It is not necessary to file for copyright. Filing with the copyright office is merely a formality so that you may take legal action for infringement if necessary.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work.

US Copyright Office

Copyright Secured Automatically upon Creation
The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently misunderstood. No publication or registration or other action in the Copyright Office is required to secure copyright.

However...

Works by the U.S. government are not eligible for U.S. copy­ right protection.

Circular 1 Copyrigt Basics

edit on 12/9/1010 by NoAngel2u because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by nickoli

I know I'm ready to riot over this. I hope more of you are with me. This can't stand because it is almost their final step over the line and then there's no turning back. I have no doubt in my mind Assange will face charges in the U.S. by the end of 2011. However, the leaks will continue until the people behind them are physically taken out. There are many bad things to come from this if they win the fight to suppress the truth; if we don't stand up and face our government now, we will be getting used to the reality of thought crimes by the time 2020 rolls around. It already seems too late for anything to change. The fact that an organization like Wikileaks created a silent war in the first place should give you an idea of what point we are now at. The corruption is painfully obvious, we are now the peasants of modern times. When we lose control of the simplest of freedoms then we are no longer in America, after that point we have been sold out in a country where you have been bought as an investment. I don't care if you agree with Wikileaks agenda or not but, to allow them to be wiped out will allow for them to tighten their grip that much more around you and 99% of the people in this countries throats. In this next year - maybe two - we will really see what the world is made of. Hopefully we can take the time to turn off our televisions, log off, get off our asses, and break from our chains. This isn't funny anymore.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I was watching one of the news channels yesterday & it had an interview with the prosecutors in Sweden saying along the lines of -

"This arrest warrant is due to 2 counts of rape, sexual molestation, this is now a political warrant & we will not be extraditing to America"

As soon as I heard that I said to my wife, as soon as he gets deported to Sweden, he will me extradited to the US.

I'm still in shock that he wasn't granted bail. He turned himself in, the police have known where he has been staying since he arrived in England; these charges being brought against him are paper thin; & imho are just a delaying tactic to keep him in custody, whilst America make some bigger trumped up charges to get him with.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

This is not good.

Clay laughed at the DA.
Julian will too.
Can't touch me

Funny that, he's been stuck in wormword scrubs for the past couple of days.

Second line

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Here's my take on Assange re his arrest.....

Julian Assange is an Australian AND Commonwealth citizen, his head of state is Queen Elizabeth 2. The British judicial system simply does not just hand over any of their "subjects" to a non-British-Commonwealth country except in extreme circumstances and this is not one of them. Swedish and American authorities have absolutely NO power over the British judicial system hence why the judge preceding over the case demanded full closure of what the Swedish prosecutors have and the nature of the "rape" charges. Under British criminal law in regards to sexual offences, the two Swedish women would not have a case based upon what facts are already known of the case.

I'm placing my bets Julian will be set free (in Britain) and Sweden will drop the case based upon it's weakness. The most stupid part of all this is the fact that the American authorities have already admitted they are in meetings with their Swedish counterparts over handing Julian to them (USA) and this won't go down well with any British (or Australian) judge, in fact the Sweds are painting a pretty damaging picture of themselves knowing they are already discussing shipping off Julian to the USA (a REPUBLIC).

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Hear!, Hear!, bluemirage5. Very well said. And since Sweden has now admitted the obvious; that America's grievance against Mr. Assange is political, they could not extradite him to the U.S. Their treaty with America does not permit political extraditions.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
If Wikileaks has been CIA since the 90's as you have theorised,
then why was it down at times due to lack of funding??
I always thought the CIA had plenty of money, especially with it's Soros/drug connection..

Do you know anything about House Appropriations
Committees ????

CIA presents an OP to a panel.
the panel either Ok's it and funds it
or it is scraped. Once it is scraped,
gov funds stop for the program unless
you can find another funding source.
This is how it can dry up from lack
of funding but not quite dead.
Then the CIA can get funding from Soros
and bypass the Panel. Then there is no
gov oversight. It's a rogue black op
funded by Soros. This also helps Obama
cuz he has plausible deniability if the
black op is ever discovered.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
If Assange is convicted of espionage for basically being a media outlet, then that is the end of freedom of the press - the complete and final end. That means that any reporter or news agency that posts anything the government doesn't like could be convicted of espionage.

Madness, I tell you.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bun-G
Funny that, he's been stuck in wormword scrubs for the past couple of days.

there is a huge difference between jail and prison !!!
Jail is where you go BEFORE you are convicted.
Prison is where you go AFTER you are convicted.

Assange is in jail, not prison.

My post stated prison.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Even if some international, illegal chicanery were to send Mr. Assange to the U.S. for trial, which I don't believe will happen, it wouldn't be likely to go anywhere, except to make him more a figure for supporters to rally around. Julian Assange is not an American citizen, nor is he a agent of a foreign power. He is clearly a journalist, not a spy. Any use of the Espionage Act in this case would be absurd.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
if I were wikileaks, I would start releasing the good stuff

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
The US government disgusts me, like filthy maggots they eat away at human rights.
Prosecution lawyers should be exposed (full names) and their lives made hell.
Julia gillard the sock puppet should be forced to stand down over her dealings and comments so far.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join