It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick-Day Bounty Hunters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Sick-Day Bounty Hunters

Playing hooky without getting caught -- as immortalized in the cat-and-mouse skirmish between Ferris Bueller and Principal Rooney in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" -- used to be an adolescent rite of passage. Now it has given rise to a thriving industry, with stern legal precedent to back it up.

In 2008, Raybestos Products, a car parts manufacturer in Crawfordsville, Ind., hired an off-duty police officer to track an employee suspected of abusing her paid medical leave. When the employee, Diana Vail, was fired after the cop produced substantial evidence that she was exploiting her benefits, she sued Raybestos. In what became the landmark case for corporate snooping, the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals dismissed her lawsuit.

A panel of judges declared that while surveillance "may not be preferred employer behavior," it wasn't unlawful. According to Susan W. Kline, a partner at the Baker & Daniels law firm in Indianapolis, the case "encouraged [companies] to consider hiring their own private detectives." It also set a precedent, she says, that "reasonable suspicion" is sufficient justification for employer spying.

finance.yahoo.com...

www.businessweek.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I can't believe companies would actually do this to their employees. Is the bottom line really that important? You would think letting your workers a few days off per year would help morale but maybe not.

Mods: Did a search and didn't find anything before I posted this. If it's already up somewhere or if this is in the wrong forum please move.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Have you ever worked with someone who abused the system??
Well, I have and the fact that they got away with it brought down moral...Or at the least gave us good gossip...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by thov420

I can't believe companies would actually do this to their employees. Is the bottom line really that important? You would think letting your workers a few days off per year would help morale but maybe not.

I took a statistics course with a real nasty character. After he learned to do a Pareto analysis he came back the next class to proudly announce he used the analysis to fire those employees who took more sick leave than others. This was all employees who took more than three days per year!

No consideration was given to prior history or the value of the employee.

Boy do I hate those Harvard Business School Turkeys! They have no soul just a bottom line detector.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I think it is ridiculous, but maybe if I owned a business I would feel differently.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zbeliever

Yes I have worked with people like that, and I'm not afraid to admit I've called in "sick" my fair share of times but I don't think it brought down morale. At least the people I talked to weren't concerned but I'm sure there were some, especially the boss-man.

The only problem I see with this is: Employee earns idk $20/hr for sick leave(if they have/use vacation time instead of just not getting paid). Employer thinks employee is lying so they hire an investigator at $75/hr to find out. That's $95/hr just to find out if the employee is lying about being sick. Doesn't sound good for the bottom line to me but to each their own.

Thanks for the reply.
edit on 12/8/10 by thov420 because: to clarify

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Totally agree. I understand the need to be profitable, obviously or the business wouldn't last, but do you need to put profits above your employees? I don't think so but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for replying.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I agree if it was my business I might feel differently, but then again maybe not. My last employer had a company policy if you miss more than x number of days/year you got a 3 day suspension and 1 more missed day was termination. Unless the employee was at or nearing the company limit, I just can't see spending more money to find out whether or not they really are sick.

Thanks for the reply.

new topics

top topics

join