It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Assange prosecution would raise 1st Amendment issues Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

An Assange prosecution would raise 1st Amendment issues Read more: www.mcclatchydc.com...

www.mcclatchydc.com

WASHINGTON — Angry over the bombardment of leaks of classified material, top Obama administration officials are considering filing an extradition request with Sweden to have WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange face criminal charges, possibly for espionage.
"What we're investigating is a crime under U.S. law," P.J. Crowley, a top State Department spokesman, said Tuesday. "The provision of 250,000 classified documents from someone inside the government to someone outside the government is a crime."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
So answer me this, how does a man with alleged criminal actions from a completely different country, turn suddenly into USG jurisdiction? i know they claim he stole USG files, but what is the evidence?
This keeps getting deeper and deeper.
Which further suggests that this is a coup from start to finish?

www.mcclatchydc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
In the interest of relations the swedish could technically release/extradite Assange into US authority, Most of the time countries would never think of such a thing, however if it is in the interest of a country to do so they can do want they want with a prisoner such as handing him over to the US of A for questioning on crimes he hasnt committed, Then again before doing this The US would need proof of the said "Crimes" in order to approve the extradition order which they dont really have.
But i wouldnt put it past them to try and fiddle the system.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
The ruling of the Supreme Court on the Pentagon Papers issue, states otherwise. Nixon tried to use the Espionage Act to trump the Constitution in that scenario, and the Supreme Court said it does not trump the Constitution which guarantees freedom of the press and no limits on it, Top Secret or not. So no law on the books can override the first amendment, meaning there is no case according to the Supreme Court. Legal precedent FTW.

Now of course they can "interpret" and use their bull# powers to circumvent any American laws to achieve the desired results, it's been done before, but I'm just trying to point out that all hope isn't lost.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Am i missing something? I always thought that the only thing linking him to Sweden was those rape claims? If that is so how can Sweden prosecute him for the wikileaks considering he isn't Swedish? Also I was always under the impression he got them given to him, he didn't do anything illegal to obtain them?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

So the top state department spokesman's last name is Crowley? I wonder if they practice astrology.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
How do you charge Assange without first jailing Bob Woodward and Lennard Bernstein (and deep throat) for the watergate scandle or indeed Monika Lewinski ( the long sort Isreali secret agent code named "mega", short for her oral sex talents with no gag reflex & talents with fine cuban cigars - & appropriately named after the 'mega mouth shark' which will reputedly swallow anything!).

Hmm -

what a woefully tangled
web we do weave
when we deliberately
set out to deceive!.

Cheers!

top topics

join