It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks' Cash Pledge Hasn't Reached Bradley Manning's Support Fund

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

WikiLeaks' Cash Pledge Hasn't Reached Bradley Manning's Support Fund

www.wired.com

WikiLeaks has failed to deliver on a months-old pledge to contribute financially to the defense of Bradley Manning, according to a group raising money for the imprisoned Army private suspected of providing WikiLeaks its most important U.S. releases. Upon learning Tuesday that the money had actually not been paid yet, Hrafnsson told The Washington Post that there was a misunderstanding and that $20,000 would be distributed to Manning’s defense immediately by the nonprofit Wau Holland Foundation
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
cryptome.org

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Just wanted to know what you folks think of this.

Bradley Manning, the purported key whistleblower that Wikileaks has heavily depended on for their newsbreaking media dominance and huge spike in popularity, is being refused adequate funding from Wikileaks after they informally promised to split the $100,000 legal costs. Wikileaks has approved a piecemeal $20,000 (which has still not reached the hands of the Bradley Manning Support Network), but Manning is still $30,000 short of his bill.

Do you think that Wikileaks should dedicate their substantial resources (estimated to be in the millions) to fully protecting their key leaker, or do you think this money is better spent on the "hero" Assange and protecting Wikileaks itself? Is there any benefit for Wikileaks in distancing itself from the information leakers that the site depends on?

I see it as refusing to provide the protection to their sources that they promise, and can paint the Wikileaks organization as moneygrabbers that profit off of the courage of whistleblowers. They should foot the entire legal bill for Manning, since his charges are much more dire than those of Assange.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
im afraid former PFC manning is going to burn alone for this. he aint getting no money from nobody. he's gotta be the patsy.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
But why should he be the patsy and not Assange? Arguably the only reason that Assange is popular is because of this poor guy.

There would be huge benefits for Wikileaks if they fully supported Manning - it would mean that they fully support whistleblowers, transparency, and the individuals that Wikileaks relies on for it's own survival. Instead, they are leaving Manning to rot while the donations come flooding in...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Very Interesting story to say the least.

I wonder if the government is blocking Wikileaks' transactions to Manning because of who they are and what they are doing to our "National Security." It is also possible that because Wikileaks is under a serious, international criminal investigation they have noticed that providing financial relief to someone being tried for Treason could be breaking some weird law, but I doubt it.

It could be that Wikileaks actually is CIA, so why would the CIA finance someone their own government is trying to convict? Dunt Dunt DUHHH!

I have no idea. Maybe, they are just as greedy as the rest of us.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
More info regarding Wikileaks funding and expenditures:

The secret-spilling website Wikileaks appears to be a frugal spender, tapping less than 10 percent of the funds received through two of its three donation methods, according to the third-party foundation that manages those contributions.

Wikileaks has received 400,000 euros (£333,000) through PayPal or bank money transfers since late December (2009), and spent only 30,000 euros (£25,000) from that funding, says Hendrik Fulda, vice president of the Berlin-based Wau Holland Foundation.
SOURCE

The basic expenses incurred by WIKILEAKS such as minor running expenses, paying for the server space that is not donated, and communications costs is approximately $55K per year. This figure excludes Assange's so called promotional expenses, which include international travel in business class, hotel accommodation, taxis, clothing, and personal expenses. For FY 2009 and YTD, these are estimated to be in excess of $225,000.
SOURCE

This is not including private donations. Assange is making a killing exploiting the whistleblowing culture.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Most forms of Wikileaks Funding is suspended Visa, Mastercard, Paypal etc. etc. so its not a case of they haven't come forward with money.....it's a case of the US government stopping any hope of any transaction for both Manning's and Assange.
The real face of US politics again revealed.......

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
when your accounts are freezes ... its hard to do anything right

but really, I wouldnt support manning if I were wikileaks ... its not like you know thats its him that did the leaking

if you leak something, you need to understand the freaking risks

besides, manning is probably just some random guy that the US government choose to be the guilty one

they probably created the whole history with lamo just to sell to the press and show that they are "ahead" of the leakers

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
If he was smart he would of opened up his own wikileaks and published the information he got himself.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DreamerOracle

At present, there are four ways to provide financial support to WikiLeaks. The most important are conventional bank transfers and the online payment system Paypal, which deposits directly to an account administered by Wau Holland Foundation. WikiLeaks staffers are able to recover their costs against this money by submitting invoices. “This account was opened in October 2009, today it has a balance of roughly 700,000 Euros,” says Fulda.
SOURCE

The Wau Holland Foundation hasn't been shutdown or suspended by the gov't, and this is the source that is said to give money to Manning. I'm positive that before Visa, PayPal and Mastercard suspended donations, Wikileaks has accumulated MUCH more money through 2010. Their operating costs are ~$55k/year. What is the rest of the money for? Where does it go? Why isn't it being used to protect Manning?!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by pforkp

It can't be cheap for Assange to stay constantly on the move, having to be mobile and leave behind as few possesions as possible means you pay to have everything as you go, If $225,000 (realise it's pound not $) is accurate and represents his personal expenses then I think he is doing a good job, he is the cheapest politican/freedom fighter/radical what ever you want to call him I know.
While I think wikileaks should be backing manning, could be expenses that take a higher priority in the plan that may be unexpected. These guys are taking on the world's powers and dont need to answer for such low figures of expenditure. I am supprised that more people are not donating though to be honest.
Also like another poster pointed out, it could be unsafe for them to donate or may be being blocked or just maybe they have donated but did not make it obvious it was from them.

new topics

top topics

join