It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think that ATS should take a tougher line on those who ridicule other people's spelling.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu

Originally posted by amc621
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

I respect you have a opinion, however I think poor spelling and grammar need to be pointed out. How hard is it to use a spell check? It takes all of 3 seconds to cut and paste from WORD to your post.

I think it says something about the poster if they can't spell or using proper grammar.

And I think it says something about the poster if they dismiss the opinions of others based on their grammar.

Nurrrgh, that's just my opinion, maaaaaan.

What does "nurrrgh" mean? Is that a junior high thing? Tell me, where did I say "dismiss" a opinion??

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

"Spell checkers can be a mixed blessing, since they cannot always tell the difference between "due" and "do", or "there" and "their" (as can be seen from this thread). They can actually insert mistakes. For example: "criminalized youth" suddenly gets "corrected" to "caramelized youth", and "denialist" becomes "denials". Amazingly "denialist" isn't in the browser dictionary. Sometimes relying on the spell checker can totally destroy the tense and grammar."

yes, yes and yes!

there and their get switched up in the best of posts and THAT urks me to no end!

the spell check does exactly what you say it does.

besides, i don't mind mistakes as i can figure out what was meant, usually.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Wally Hope

The English language is constantly changing. What is considered grammatical errors in one decade might be acceptable the following decade.

There are varying degrees of intellegence. Some people, like Albert Einstein, I have read, was not a smooth talker and had unpolished table manners.

Some people that have very good ideas and can lend a tremendous amount of thought provoking information to ATS posts might be scared off by the "grammar/spelling" police.

ATS should be a place where, yes the posts are readable, but this is suppose to be enjoyable, not a job.

We are scrutinized, evaluated and controlled on almost all levels of society now and you want this policing on ATS as well?

I do agree a post that is totally unreadable or having only text language should be politely commented on if one feels the need.

Why can't we relax a little bit and allow our fellow ATS brothers and sisters a little lee-way, a little understanding?

We are all only human and not perfect.

One last insight, Some great ideas come in the heat of passion and having to check and recheck for fear of upsetting the grammar/spelling police might just lose that great idea that might have enlightened all of us.

Be kind, polite and gentle.

I am so tired of the snippy, snide and mean comments that seem to increase year by year on ATS. Can't ATS be a refuge for ideas where everyone tries to get along vs everyone at each other's throats. There is enough of that already in the outside world.

It's like we are losing our humanity - but that's another conspiracy thread to ponder.

edit on 9-12-2010 by ofhumandescent because: This section irks me, it's another form of tighter control. I had to put ' in other's. Added the last sentence and made sure my spelling was okay and apologize in advance if I missed anything.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
i normaly dont reply this type of thred but i believe im horibal w/ spelling and evan worse w/ grammar

not evrybody has spell check on say are mobile device. or simply thay are not computer "litterete" enough
if a person struggles whith spelling dont even give them the time of day? seriously?
i like to think im open mided enough to at least fathom what an op is trying to convey.
deny ignorance not poor grammar skills

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Meow, Meow, Meow.....Meow, Meow........my goodness people, give it a break. So there's some miss spelled words or inccorect grammer. isnt there bigger things in this world to get your dander up about besides this?? WOW
Good post OP, Im not a fan of the Spelling Grammor NAZI's.........

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patrioitinsheepclothing
Meow, Meow, Meow.....Meow, Meow........my goodness people, give it a break. So there's some miss spelled words or inccorect grammer. isnt there bigger things in this world to get your dander up about besides this?? WOW
Good post OP, Im not a fan of the Spelling Grammor NAZI's.........

Is there bigger things? Absolutely, but your answering the post on ATS. You obviously don't have better things to do.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

your right, Im unemployed, living off "MY" savings, enjoying the down time between jobs, drinking a morning cup of coffee with a shot of Baileys and enjoying a bowl while looking at my stocked pantry and freezer

Get back to work slave, Masa clearly stated your lips aint pressin hard enough against his arse!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Patrioitinsheepclothing

Nice!

How's that Alaskan icky up there? There's been a lot of purple leafs on the trees around here!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

haha.....You crack me up. what's a "masa"? I can see why your unemployed. What's the matter the slurpee machine freeze up there in Alaska? So now your out of work. I'm sure there could be some drive ways you could shovel for some cash in the area.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

It was agreat fall, this first part of winter has been sloppy, snow, melt, rain, freeze, snow, freeze, but seems to finally leveled out. Going to the cabin/Man Cave next week for some hunting back country boarding!
The only purple leaves Ive seen are from a friends White Widow Plant

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by thunderlady
If a post is poorly written, I don't even bother reading it; I assume the person who doesn't care enough to present his/her ideas clearly isn't bright enough to have anything to say worth thinking about or responding to.

That is the same thing that I do. I skip on through the post if it starts out
with ridiculous spelling and sentence structure. It is mostly people from
the US and the UK where I notice it. The young people from the US are
undoubtedly the worst. It is a clear reflection on our society these days.
Anyway, I skip a lot of posts on ATS due to the ignorance of some.
I don't think it is going to get any better though.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I don't fully agree with your post, but I understand the point you're making. I agree that pointing out spelling in a ridiculing manner needs to stop. However, this is ATS. We try to give good information here. And the media already has a hay day with us "wacky" conspiracy theorists as it is. So no need to give them any more fuel.

Bottom line is, it's not difficult to use Firefox's built in spell checker or any other browsers spell checker. How many times have I seen someone type in run on's, entire paragraphs without any form of punctuation or spaces? It's an eye sore for the community and makes us look like idiots.

But to use that to ridicule an opposing view is stupid, I'll agree with you on that.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

Really.....Really, you have no idea what a "Masa" is when refrenced?? You can see why Im unemployed by my refrence to a southern draw when sounding out the word "master"
The you turn around and come at me with a come back a 10 yr old might be proud of.............WOW R-Tard you are!
Your game is weak as well as your concepts when it comes to unemployment, unlike you, when I go on unemployment I dont have to file with the Gov'mnt to get a check and survive. I have whats called a "S E A S O N A L J O B" (let me know if Im going to fast for your slow ass) It makes me very good money!
So this inturn entitles me to sit and do "jack#" if I so desire, but dont worry for me young R-Tard.

Im in no hurt, Im a prepper, I can and smoke fish, meat, and veggies,live off the land as I can, live in a decent home that I rent, have a full retreat off the grid if needed. Ive enjoyed putting ink in my passport and learning about the world instead of serving a "Masa" in a classroom and learning false truth. Ive learned to live,love,enjoy,experince, and be generally impressed with what Ive seen through these unemployed eyes, yep the burden thats on my back with unemployment at my doorstep.
I waste my hard earned money on an electric bill, gas, internet and insurance on my truck and motorcyle. Other then that I spend it wisely on women,booze, boats, and Budz!!!

P.S....... Drive Ways to shovel.....really?????

My spelling is bad and my grammer worse, but it didnt help spilling a glass of ice tea on the laptop, now the buttons stick and its mis spell and gramor hell
edit on 12/9/2010 by Patrioitinsheepclothing because: missed an error

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

hahahha.....nice. How much is it to rent a house there in the winter time? Or do you get paid to live there to make sure the pipes don't burst? Do you have a hole in your floor to fish? Where did you come up with your conclusions about what I do and how old I am?

BTW great excuse for the misspellings, spilling ice tea on your key board.....Really? Ice tea in Alaska in December?????

Come clean, where do you really live and what grade are you in? I own a house in the southeast of the US. I don't work for any Master.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Okay, but why would you equate grammar/punctuation with the "higher common denominator" . That's pure rubbish!

Listen, I was on Duke's gifted/talented list. Scored 99th percentile in mathematics and sciences each year for state examination. Ran circles around most of my teachers, ... but couldn't comprehend the bizarreness of the english language. It's so incredibly illogical, that I outright refused to learn the rules. It doesn't compute with how people use the language in the real world. It's totally outdated!

No, actually, it is not rubbish, "higher common denominator", meaning higher education.

The English language is only bizarre if English is not your first language, usually.

Content, context, and intent are all a part of complexities, which make the nuances important.

You can tell a liar, from someone telling the truth, you can tell a political non-answer from an uneducated answer this way, you can also do within the electronic/online environment, what is done in handwriting analysis, called graphology, when reading a post, e-mail, or thread through using higher common denominators and or higher education.

I would not say that the English language rules are outdated, I would say however teacher's have grown lax, that schools do not teach people to think and that people do not access their brains more due to a lack of learning ethics.

Okay, I was reading thick books at a young age as well. Pretty sure I've got ya stumped there, but not sure what this has to do with anything...

My comment about Tolkein had nothing to do with book thickness.

It had to do with language, complex spellings, grammar.

All on topic with this thread's original intent about people ridiculing people for lack of spelling ability.

Again, my comment originally never ridiculed anyone, I merely pointed out there is a 3rd option.

1st Option : Ignore people and go about spelling however you want and be ridiculed.

2nd Option : Get heated about it and take it personally when someone is an idiot in ridiculing you.

3rd Option : Challenge yourself to increase your spelling proficiency if you do not like being ridiculed.

4th Option : Let it slide off your back like water off a duck's back.

The above 3rd option was where my original post was directing my commentary towards.

OMG!! High school is a JOKE. I'm a drop out. You'll find a fair percentage of dropouts are actually "academically gifted". It's not that we can't do the work, it's that complying with the idiocy they preach would be against our constitution. At least, this was how I felt about it.

To you.

I think the entire education system is a joke.

I was homeschooled during high school due to ignorant and mindless barbarians with drugs.

Within public school.

And I stood my ground against them.

Personally, I survived Public School, I did not pass it.

I only passed it due to my instincts, a thirst for knowledge, and finding the school library for peace.

Well these last bits I will definitely agree with 100%

Glad we agree on something.

Personally, I agree with the original poster, I was only pointing out there is no need to punish.

I believe ATS terms and conditions are far too lax for my liking and not stringent enough.

Then again I actually read them.

The majority of those complaining about them did not read them prior to posting.

Like most legalese and fine print.
edit on 12/9/10 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join