It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dob in terrorists, SIS urges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Dob in terrorists, SIS urges

TVNZ

New Zealanders are being urged to dob in suspected terrorists to the Security Intelligence Service (SIS).

The SIS has urged people to report suspicious activity, or tell it of any anyone they felt might be involved in illegitimate activity, or contributing to the spread or acquisition of weapons of mass destruction.

Well hot on the heels of the NZ governments 'update' to our laws allowing the SIS to hack and snoop on private civilian computers for the safety of foreign leaders coming to watch our rugby world cup, we now have the SIS pulling a slightly similar stunt to the Wal-Mart one the Americans are having with the DHS by announcing for people to be watch full for suspicious activities.

While no where near the brazen level of the DHS and Wal-Mart checkout video, its rather unsettling to have a request like this made in my own country. While we are going to have a major sporting event here soon, it feels all very uncharacteristic since we've hardly had anything similar asked of us in other such previous occasions.

edit on 8-12-2010 by BigfootNZ because: Meep

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I'm not sure what to think of this just yet... First, it's nothing all that new, and second, it makes good sense. I've been told ever since I was a kid to report "suspicious" or "illegal" activity. Although I don't go out patrolling the neighbourhood, if I do happen to see something my kneejerk reaction is to call for help. Since I really don't want to give more tax dollars to the police or to fund the development of hightech spying equipment, the best bet is for the feds to get civilians to police themselves. If they are encouraged to do this, then there will be less of a drive for the government to spy on civilians outside of the public eye. It's all pretty bittersweet, but I'd rather have "suggestions" for self-policing rather than a totalitarian lockdown that is out of civilian control.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pforkp

thats how all police states start
germany
russia
china
we can be expected to do the right thing?
to follow the laws and morals of our country
so now we are all suspects?
the only terrorism new zealand has had was when the french govenmnet
blow up the rainbow warrior
a green peice vessel killing crew members

ats not the people to watch
its the govenmnets we need to watch
false flag world cup to take more freedoms away

this is not new zealand
this is new china

xp

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

this is not new zealand
this is new china

I wouldnt go as far as that, we're still pretty damn well better off compared to alot of other countries and I dont think our government is even remotely on par with the American government or even the Australians in terms of being bad for the citizens. Its just slightly worrying we get a few similar related issues crop up all at once at a time when the international news has a number of similar issues also cropping up along the same vein.

I can almost see where the SIS are coming from, as my older brother points out it was after all regular people noticing suspicious activities that allowed our small little police force to track down and bring to 'justice' those French terrorists that bombed the Rainbow Warrior within our borders. Although that happened without the urging of our Secret Intelligence Services... but im usually pretty hostile towards Intelligence Agencies actions, good or bad.

We'll just have to wait and see what comes about with these changes once all the hubbub of the World Cup is gone, hopefully as with most things in NZ... not much
. One benefit of being a small and benign nation heh.

edit on 8-12-2010 by BigfootNZ because: Meep

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Easy... All the terrorists are in D.C ..

new topics

top topics

join