It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head Of NY Taxi Union Tells Drivers To Racial Profile...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by endlessknowledge

Why would that be the two choices??? How about a choice between a nicely dresses black couple or 2 "gangsta'd out" white guys????

Or are white guys never "gangsta'd out" in your narrow mind????

Who actually takes gangst'd out white guys seriously?

Every time I see one, I cant help but burst into laughter.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater

But you sh!t your pants when you see a black "gangsta"?

Have you heard of the expression; don't judge a book by it's cover?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater

But you sh!t your pants when you see a black "gangsta"?

Have you heard of the expression; don't judge a book by it's cover?

I dont, I judge by fact.

Fact: Blacks are much more likely to commit a violent crime compared to any other race.

If 5 out of 10 little blue aliens kicked me in the balls and only 1out of 10 little green aliens kicked me in the balls, I am more apt to cover up the grapefruits when I see a little blue alien coming towards me compared to a little green alien.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

Fair enough, although I would suggest covering your grapefruits at all times.

Listen I understand where you're coming from as I'm aware of the stats and have seen my fair share of "gangta" violence. However, despite higher crime rates, I think it's fair to say that majority of black people are not criminals. By suggesting that we should profile this group, you're discriminating against many who have done nothing wrong. Does that seem fair to you?

You do also realize that crime rates of males is higher than females? Should we not lets guys on the cab as well?

To me the look in the person's eye and their general demeanor are much more indicative than their skin colour.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I operate a taxi company in NY. I tell all my drivers to be wary of everyone. Anyone who hasn't driven a taxi for a living should not sit on their high horse and preach about how terrible and awful the act of profiling is, it's saved me and my drivers from numerous confrontations.
Profiling extends much further than just race/outward appearance. Being aware of a fares nuances, idiosyncrasies and demeanor play a much larger role than race/appearance. I especially tell my night drivers to be vigilant and trust your intuition, always. It's working out well for them.
Profiling in the transportation/livery industry is nothing new. Ask any black man that lives uptown (Bronx/Harlem) how difficult it is to flag a cab down and they'll probably tell you the same thing, "Damn, I'm glad black people drive taxi's, too"

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Listen I understand where you're coming from as I'm aware of the stats and have seen my fair share of "gangta" violence. However, despite higher crime rates, I think it's fair to say that majority of black people are not criminals.

Well if you know the stats, then your argument that the majority of black people aren't criminals holds no merit?

Among men, blacks (28.5%) are about six times more likely than whites (4.4%)
to be admitted to prison during their life. Among women, 3.6% of blacks and
0.5% of whites will enter prison at least once. (U.S. Department of Justice)
Based on current rates of incarceration, an estimated 7.9% of black males
compared to 0.7% of white males will enter State of Federal prison by the
time they are age 20 and 21.4% of black males versus 1.4% of white males will
be incarcerated by age 30. (U.S. Department of Justice)
Some have noted that more black men are in prison in America than are in
college. (The Black and White of Justice, Freedom Magazine, Volume 128)

source :www.peace.ca...

( previous post from page 1 )

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

wow, I guess comprehension is not your strong suit...

I said that I was aware of the stats, did I not?? Do you enjoy to copy and paste in order to appear smarter than you are???

Anyways, according to your stats 28.5% of black males and 3.6% of black females are likely to be admitted to prison during their life....HOW DOES THAT CONTRADICT WHAT I SAID????

I'm going to go over this slowly so maybe you can try to rap your head around it(but I'm not holding my breath)...Obviously your stats don't show a majority, therefor your indicating that it okay to profile against 96.4% of innocent black women because 3.6% have been convicted at some point. If that seems fair and logical to you then keep it up. Enjoy your narrow-minded approach to life. Next time you see a black woman just run, yes run and don't look back because they are more likely to harm you than a white woman.

There are verity of factors that makes people more susceptible to crime such as, income level, gender, age ect. So here is a question for you; who do you think is more likely to rub a cab driver, A. An elderly black woman in a upscale area who is nicely dressed or B. A young white male that comes out of a nightclub wearing a hoodie, and smelling like alcohol?

The fact is if you want to use stats to justify your actions, then you might as well look at all the stats not just the one that suits your agenda.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I was going to say, maybe they're just tired of getting shot and robbed....sadly the news report explained this is why it was said to profile cab fares. My point is made. Yeah, I think for their safety something has to be done...I don't beleive it is racist at all. There is a reason that Mateo, both hispanic and black himself, is doing this.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I can assure you that the majority of blacks aren't criminals, much less violent criminals. Statistics can be interpreted in a plethora of different ways, though they are generally only reliable when you can see them for what they are only for what they are. Just because more blacks tend to commit violent acts (or get caught for those acts), certainly doesn't mean that the majority of blacks are violent or criminals, nor does it mean that they are automatically predisposed to violence or criminal acts. There is a whole range of variables that need to be considered before leaping to such a conclusion, such as culture, economics and societal expectations, just to name a few.

--airspoon

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Your whole post was quite long, and I do agree more whites are using, the difference is 1.) they have the expendable moneys to buy it, so won't be robbing anybody soon, 2.) the women (white) using that are most likely to be arrested for prostitution, they whore themselves for their drugs or they are welfare recipients and use that money. and 3.) They both get better attorneys. However like I stated they are the least likely to rob and kill for money for their drugs. And yes, they sell, too they just happen to have the money to Have "fronts" for their sales. In the end though you said nothing of violent crimes...which is what this thread is about.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I guess legitimate stats fall on deaf ears? No matter how one interprets statistics, the numbers will never be good enough for those whom disagree.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I thought cab drivers did this anyway? When I am in downtown Detroit, I can get a cab in 10 seconds, while the black guy right next to me may not get a cab to stop at all.

I thought it was just standard practice.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

It certainly is standard practice in NY, it just took a person in the upper echelon of the T&LC commission in NY to come out and say it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join