It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hacktivism damages wiki in public opinion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
i have been asking people who are not computer savy what they think
and the hacktivists are damaging public opinion.
some of my friends now Associate wiki journalulism with ILLEGAL HACKING
its not wiki leaks that is doing damage, its the people hacking and attacking, banks and interpol ect.
while Wikileaks is wanted by most people i have talked to
HACKING IS NOT
and death by association for wikileaks is occouring within the non internet community
my mum now thinks wikileaks are the people writing viruses, (not her fault)
or that wiki has asked for these attacks.

this is the real danger here that some radical hacktivists are making wikileaks look bad
REAL BAD
any ground wiki has made has been destroyed by hacktivism
acording to my friends mum
"they are attacking banks"
yes the one sided media dosnt help
but being associated with an illegal group of hackers has made most people
THIS ONLY PLAYS INTO THE HANDS OF THE CENSORS

please PLEASE
stop hacktivism
start legal protest
before wiki loses all respect with the "average" joe
this is a media battle and wiki is now smeared with the same brush as
annon

stop the hactivism it is hurting the cause
the companys that are being hit
HAVE NO CHOICE but to act as the govenment wants
so you are missplacing your anger
and its really hurting the companys who are forced
BY THE GOVENMENT
to block wiki funding ect

so in the public opinion the "perception war" is being won over wiki
because of a rouge group that WILL bring about sensorship

please stop we are losing support in the larger comunity
protest legally, orginize protests,
illegal acts only gives the enemy an excuse to censor

we are losing the media war for opinion and i beleve the attacks are being perpertrated by the same group
who will be the new sensors of the net....................................

xploder

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
And your evidence is what? Poorly formatted rambling is not evidence. Hate to tell you this but guess who's controlling the media? We already lost "the media war" before it started. At least this is a way of standing up and costing the pigs money and embarrassment. It's a way of pushing back in the 21st century. Of course most of you would like to sit there and do nothing hoping this all goes away by itself, but it won't. And even though this won't do much if anything, it's at least a way to show we're angry and we're unified and we're not afraid to take down their online business and cost them money.
edit on 8-12-2010 by Joehio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

What's really sad is that they don't see WHY these 'hacktavists' are doing it. I mean, SINCE WHEN! do the banks decide what I do with my money? REALLY!? I Guess, contrary to popular belief, what little money we are allowed to keep after taxes isn't even ours to use as we please! As far as I'm concerned, these hackers are doing a great job at actively protesting against this bull.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Joehio

i have no problem standing up and being counted
but this attacking is counter productive
the non online comunity
is being feed conections between wiki and annon by the news media
this is destrying credability for wiki

we need to protest legally

these attacks only justify a responce

god speed wiki

xploder

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by arrus75

we are being manipulated
we are misplacing our outrage
this is being USED by the people who wish to censor
and we are losing the right to have a free internet
this is the cybercommands wet dream
and these hactivists are giving it too them
the perfect excuse

xploder

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I think your premise may have a flaw...or maybe more than one.

Who were the people? How many were consulted? Were they sufficient in number and diverse enough to represent a valid poll of mainstream public opinion?

From what I have seen here on ATS, many people are still strongly in the grips of the mind-conditioning of the MSM, etc. They like to talk, but freak out when the truth is exposed. They like to talk, but want change to come wrapped in a nice package which causes no disruption or distress to themselves.

IMO a large majority here, under stress, fell back into a pavlovian conditioned response' which was to fully support the Government they have so criticized, ignore what was being exposed about them and attack WL,

These views/conditioned responses are not going to bring about change, and musn't be allowed to stop those who are actually taking action to fight back and stand up for our freedoms.

TPTB don't listen and don't care about the views or wishes of the people. They people leave few options. I wonder if those you spoke to had any constructive suggestions as to how they intend to bring this system down?

FEAR is the greatest enemy, and I wonder if you may have just slipped into it. It's not a criticism, we all do at times, but it's not really what's going to help us get these bums out.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I have to completely disagree with you xplodr. Most people don't even know this is happening. Probably more than 50% of Americans couldn't name Assange for you. All the general populace knows is "wikileaks is unpatriotic, and maybe they are terrorists". That's it, and it's because the msm has already been bought by the banksters and ptb who are the ones against truth.

Hackers aren't making one flip of a difference regarding how the public perceives wikileaks. That war has already been lost due to the msm portraying the truth as a terrorist.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
reply to post by arrus75

we are being manipulated
we are misplacing our outrage
this is being USED by the people who wish to censor
and we are losing the right to have a free internet
this is the cybercommands wet dream
and these hactivists are giving it too them
the perfect excuse

xploder

If TPTB wanted to create a false flag as an excuse for shutting down the internet, they would not choose one which exposes their crimes, their deceit, their disregard for democracy and which causes them huge embarrassment.

If TPTB want to shut down the internet they will. They didn't need to cause this huge humiliation and embarrassment to themselves to do so.

A few days ago it was WL who people were accusing of endangering the internet. Now it's the hackers. Next what will it be?

What is the alternative. Suppress any dissent on the internet, be obedient slaves? If so, what does the internet become but one more propaganda tool for TPTB?

US can't just shut down the internet, general thinking on this is incredibly naive. What would be the consequences on other countries? On commerce worldwide? In terms of the reactions of the masses worldwide?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
FEAR = False Evidence Appearing Real.

second

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

the people i speak of are the everyday folks
the people who dont know a modem from a phone
the people who watch the msm and think its unbias
i agree something needs to be done
but illegal acts will only be seen by these people as a good reason to accept censorship
and "protect them from the evil wiki
we are being minipulated into reacting
these leaks can stand up on their own and expose the truth
protest outside washington
dont give them ammo to take our net away

one person i spoke to said this
these attacks are not democratic
and they fear the hackers more than the govenments

xploder

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

i do not fear
the msm is spreading fear
the battle is the public opinion
and hacking is seen as a dangerous illegal activity

what can we do?
we can all legally stand together
and protest legally
this isnt the only way
we can create online poles
we can petetion our politicians
we can shape public opinion to get the masses to help
legally

i hold out hope its not to late for large scale protests
to effect change
to think the system is so broken
that we cannot be effective
is to admit we have no power

we have power as a group standing up
not as a bunch of hacktivists

xploder

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

i do think you are correct
but i dont think we should give up on democracy
we are powerful only when we band together
not when we are devided into
the informed
and the sheep

we need all to get together a say enough
in a legal way

xploder

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
So surely you educate her and them so they no longer remain ignorant, right?

After reading this thread that looks like a big fat "no". Which makes sense cause it looks to me like you have a problem with hacktivism and is just using your mom and old people as an excuse for why it's wrong.

The whole, "lets only complain the way the establishment allows us to!" is cowardice. I think you are standing up to be counted and it is to counted as a business as usual clean shirt.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
To the OP:-

So 'hacking' by govts to pry into the private lives of the masses is ok, but when private citizens hack into those perpetrators are wrong and performing illegal acts?

Give up your passport and go live under dictatorships please. Freedom and the blood shed by the founding fathers are wasted on you.
edit on 8-12-2010 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

i support wikileaks because we have a right to know and journalism is legal
this truth will spur public debate and the truth will come out
i do not condone illegal activity
it just makes people think wiki is involved and there for illegal too
i have set the record straight with many people
but the hackers are hated by the sheep
and wiki is now being "seen" as a activist group of illegal hackers
insteed of legal journalists

i think we need a change and time is running out to do something
to provide that change
but hacktivists are clouding public opinion

this is an info war yes
but the hearts and minds of the under informed is the key to victory
the hackers have split us into two camps

the people who are hacking
and the people who have no idea of the truth
this further splits us into groups to fight amounst ourselves

we need to educate the population
not turn them off with illegal activity

this is about public opinion
when the public get the cables changes will come from opinion
not punishment of third party companys
WHO HAVE TO FOLLOW GOVENMENTS ORDERS

this misplaced anger is deviding public opinion
and does us no good

xploder

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Originally posted by XPLodER

But, if you need to rely on public support, and only do what people who still believe the MSM think is acceptable, we will never every get these bums out.

I'm not saying I agree with the hackers, or I don't. But the people with the kind of views you express are actually part of the problem, because of their belief if what they are being told.

Wikileaks didn't cause the codex act which stops people having the right to choose what they eat and grow veg in their garden.

WL didn't cause the TSA sexual molestation.

WL didn't cause Obama to give his government the right to assassinate US citizens at will.

They do what they want, when they want. I see your point about the hackers providing an excuse, but my feeling is that if it isn;t the hackers, it will be something else.

I don't believe public opinion can be relied on to change things...there is widespread apathy and defeatism and in any case, the Government don't give a damn about public opionion. TSA?

edit on 9-12-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

all of the points you make are valid
and i dont dipute the vile way politicians are conforming to the one world order
will remove democracy and choice
the writings on the wall i have seen it and spoken out
to try to educate
most people cant even bear to think what i am presenting might be true
its too scary for the people i try to educate
to even investigate

but how can these people ignore wiki?
they cant and public opinion is already starting to promote discusion
and the sea change is happening in the apathetic minds who were to scared
but they are now horifyed with what wiki has released
but the hacking gives them an excuse
to switch off again and claim ignorence because

"its those evil hackers" or
those bastards create the computer viruses i am so scared of

the public is waking up thanks to wiki
and being given an excuse to go back to sleep by the hackers and msn

what we need is activist juornolism
because hactivism is seen as worse than the govenments actions in some peoples eyes

you want change ?
some of the most important change comes when a well though out piece
gets repeated and blogged and reported on and people go
"that is the truth plain and simple"
the idea is the truth can stand on its own
and legal protests will gain more support
than hactivism

where are the marches?
america has started a illegal proxy war in yeman
where are the protests?
everyone is being distracted with this hacking instead of arranging mass protests

the power is dirived from the people
hacking splits us into two camps

the computer literate online news types and
the people who use the net for email watch msn

this hacking has split us down those lines

we need to unite to effect change
hacking wont help it will split us into factions

all im trying to do is make people aware of what the public opinion is saying

god speed wiki

xploder

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Over the past few years, there seems to have been an increase in embarrassing corporate secrets, government corruption exposed, blatant misuse of tax money,.often times covered by the MSM!.

...and now Wikileaks, Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy Theory, Tea party'ers, as well as a boom of Documentaries about everything that would make you hate the Government, banks, and large global corporations

- obviously TPTB could have stopped all this long ago and no one would be the wiser!

More and more I'm of the opinion that the TPTB either;
A) Want us to riot....maybe to make it easier to justify the purchase of those FEMA camps and coffins, an excuse to clamp down the police state, and/or "thin the herd"
or
B) Or it's just a HUGE cash/power grab and they don't care who knows it because they know ' the end is neigh!'
and soon there won't be anyone left to fight. no not because of the Mayan Calendar...But the recent (last few years) attention to possible Meteor strikes, super solar flares, crazy weather, super volcanoes overdue to burst, Doomsday seed vault, possible pandemic, increase in underground military installations......like their getting ready for something

ARGG! what could it be?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Either way as alot of us called it to begin with, these useless tools have already moved on to other things as I don't recall them attacking any other sites as of lately. I could and probably am wrong though as I have to admit I don't keep up with the their activity. And I do believe alot of us were also saying that their actions were hurting the wikileaks cause even if we didn't agree with wikileaks, looks like we were right.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Do look beyond the length of your nose with your rather myopic eyes, even if you cannot comprehend what had happened.

Wikileaks had done more than many realized. WL is not about Julian. It's the message that matters more, and the action to do what needs to be done by govts around the world responsible for their own actions. They had been proven hypocritical, talking like eunarchs in public while acknowledging the half truths and lies they had themselves spoken.

Their fear to speak up publically, honestly and sincerely had only caused more harm than good to mankind. Such fears must be eradicated if we are to progress as a race, to speak up, to honestly and rationally debate about it so that a course and direction may be set with the majority's support, winning THE HEARTS AND MINDS of the masses, and not just buttcrack licking some rich selfish fool with too much money and wants more.

This was what had been revealed so far, and it is up to the masses to do what they have to do to regain their direction of progress and evolution.

As for hacking or DOS activities, they are but reactions to the action or inactions by the govts to respond to the leaks and charges, and choose instead to silence the messenger. Under the 1949 UN Declaration of Universal Human Rights, they have the fullest freedom to do so.

They had not destroy, but only to send warnings, in response to unconstitutional and anti DUHR.acts that curtails one's freedom. Humans will never live under the yoke, and best TPTB comprehends it. There is so much they can push, but when one's limit is reach, and who are the real terrorists of intimidation and fear becomes clear, push will come to shove and fights will erupt. Humans will never go quietly into the night, even down to the 2nd last man...as events around the world had proven.

top topics

join