It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What melee weapons would you choose for when the SHTF?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by whatevername

Heh that's why you have to be more practical, I'm proficient with a splitting axe and a sludge hammer... I'll go with those.

2nd line.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by amc621

A machete on a farm? I grew up on a farm in Arkansas, and we always had 3 or 4 on hand, for cutting corn stalks to feed to our cattle. Some weeds grew tall, with a thick base. A machete is better than a hoe for cutting them.
Machetes are good for close work.
I have a cople of k-bars, a recurve bow and plenty of arrows. I am quite proficient with the staff, which also serves a walking stick. These, I think, would serve me well in melee.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Just bought that Cheness ninja sword... wow thank you for the link.... Im a small sword collector-no homo- and that was the piece I needed... thanks again

reply to post by Deebo

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Amusing thread I must say…

Fighting/practicing with swords, machetes, axes, spears etc. is not only extremely tiresome (you’d be surprised if you haven’t tried) but also outright dangerous if you lack the proper skills necessary. You may even end up hurting yourself more than the “enemy” in the frenzy of combat. To fight effectively with melee weapons you need a very good physique (physical strength and endurance) and the proper skills. Most weapons probably won’t even be properly balanced and would be extremely fatiguing to use.

If not, consider using a melee weapon that requires almost zero skill and physique, like a good old sharp knife or a brass knuckle with spikes. In fact, a knife would probably be your most effective close combat weapon. You can strike with it so fast and so quick that your target will probably not know what just happened… speaking in ideal conditions of course.

If you are going to prepare for an event like this, then get yourself a couple of different knives and keep them sharp, VERY sharp. Also knives can easily be concealed on your body. They are your ideal melee weapons. And get a machete, good for chopping through wood and stuff.

Because knife combat is extremely unpredictable and utterly dangerous, I would suggest arming yourself with anything that will distract/disrupt/blind by going for the eyes, like a spray can, small objects like coins and pebbles (or shurikens), etc. The moment your opponent is disrupted/blinded go for the kill or run like hell.

I would also recommend making yourself body armor or perhaps even a lightweight but sturdy shield capable of sustaining heavy damage without breaking. Good body armor should be really simple and practical, nothing fancy. I’d advise against making full body armor unless, as with the weapons, you know how to fight in armor. Anything padded or made of leather/kevlar would be good to cushion hits to your body. Consider making at least leather bracers/greaves reinforced with strong but lightweight metal bars could defend your arms and legs.

Lastly, I recommend the Animals No Nonsense Self Defense

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I'd say the man who would survive the longest is "the man of many sorrows" Kenshiro of FOTNS aka known as "the man with the seven scars" www.youtube.com...

reply to post by NoJoker13

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Accidentally? nah dude those innocents are practice, dying in the name of protecting one's family, mine, is an honor well worth the effort; and agonizing moans of despair.

Originally posted by whatevername
I hope when SHTF I don't run into any of you guys.
I'm not entirely confident that you are able to handle those samoerai swords and axes without accidentally killing some innocent people.
Heck, I can imagine an army of barbarians with kevlar and katanas roaming the street.
God help us all!

Edit: I'd be probably using this:

edit on 9-12-2010 by whatevername because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Guilp

Yeah.....I guess you got me there! But I would still cut the net with my concealed weapon ....or die trying hehe....if you got to me first though, I would be in deep ****

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
A handful of dirt on the face always does the trick. Otherwise, marbles or ball bearings spilled on the floor make for great entertainment!

-rrr

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

'the thing is, LUCK !
What if i or what if you. step in an unexpected hole, so i throw my net wrong, and you trip over a thing you didn't see, you've thrown you're machete my way an the net is laying next to you.

we both be looking at each other, like, ...
edit on 9-12-2010 by Guilp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
What I am wondering is, why the heck would we all be fighting each other? Assuming the majority on here are adults or people with some money, we all live in our own house and have our own food and stuff, so why exactly would we be fighting? There is a vast amount of food in the stores and stuff, unless people stop using their brains and just get all that they can not considering the possibility that they wont eat it at all and it will get spoiled. If this scenario does unfortunately happen, I can just see it all now. The weak mindedness of humanity peaking out its ugly head and the powers that be laughing there butts off at humanity. They dont need to worry bout humanity, considering their concealed technology I'm sure they can make a new one.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Most people are not trained in any type of hand to hand combat utilizing weapons. With that in mind the best types would be common things people are familiar with.

Stuff the average person could use effectively would likely be a machete and baseball bat (I prefer the little league aluminum ones, not too long, light and inexpensive ... buy 10). Also most of the cheap decorative swords sold in malls and through mail order catalogs are crap. I have a few as well as a few quality ones intended for actual use. The good ones would break the cheapos in two in short order.

Ideally you want range between you and your opponent so things like bows and slings would be preferable to hand to hand melee weapons.

The last thing you want to do is get into a close quarters knife fight. I don't care who you are, you will most likely get all cut up... even if you win. Post SHTF medical help will not be easy to come by.

But run out out of ammo? I could see being caught somewhere without but to actually run out? Get a 22lr rifle. You can buy bricks of 500 rounds for like 20 - 30 bucks. Buy one or two a week and you will quickly have enough to last you the rest of you life. Sure 22lr is not the 'best' round but it can kill just like any other, it just takes practice to be accurate.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I highly doubt the apocalypse will happen any time soon.

But if it does, the only melee "weapons" I need are my fists, elbows, knees and feet.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I had a SHTF dream. Aliens were invading and harvesting us. TASER GUNS! They couldn't handle the electrical shock to they're system the way we do. It killed em dead ;-) lol

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by fonenyc
True but then again in the event of a nuclear war. Technology will be rendered obsolete and most of it that remains will be hoarded quickly by rogue gangs. You will need something to protect yourself from animals and zombies( basically people infected or driven to insanity by the horror). So just for arguments sake why not join in on the BS known as this thread.

A baseball seems to be the fave so far. Hey OP can we get a poll or something here?

reply to post by amc621

If you put it that way.

I would look to have a small sledge hammer and my ginzu knife collection. The hammer could be used for many things and those knives never dull. I could stab someone in the skull, then filet a fish right after.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Ok, I couldn't resist not posting. I don't think I'll ever be in this type of situation but I wanna play too

Thinking about what's around my house, how bout a nice shovel or maybe the old cast iron skillet; the sound either one of those would make smackin' someone upside the noggin would be epic. Baseball bat seems appropriate. Seemed to work well in "Left 4 Dead"

But no melee arsenal would be complete without a fine fingernail file. According to the folks with the TSA, those things are the worst!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
10 inch chef knife and extendable truncheon/kosh if we are being realistic like this is going to happen tomorrow.
if we are being a bit silly then i would have to go for a short sword and a bladed spear and if we are being very silly then i would go for two green lightsabers and start doing some damage to the bad guys.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Make your own weapons!

The best weapons to use in a WCS are the ones made for you personally. For example when i get bored (ok really bored) i make small weapons that are very usefull if you are a bit agile and in another example i succeeded to make a weapon from 3 plastic knives and a lighter during one of my classes and believe me in a hand to hand combat even if the guy has a sword, katana or anything with a blade you would stop him in one strike.

You can combine everything from your house to make a weapon.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Truth is always the best weapon.
It has no competition.
It Is and tends to put things in the Right perspective.

On the 'other' hand, 'left' one, I'd have to go with This

It's little cousin, the SAWgun was my personal favorite though wished to use it sparingly and only when absolutely necessary. It appears to be coming more necessary for the times though I would rather choose the 'Love and Understanding' option when it can be Found. Has a certain 'Vibe' to it.
edit on 49am371056121031201012 by Perseus Apex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Perseus Apex

Say that to a cannibal, maybe your truth will persuade him not to eat you... not impossible but highly unlikely.

2nd line.
edit on 9-12-2010 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join