It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What melee weapons would you choose for when the SHTF?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by fonenyc

the only thing that would make this dudes posts any better is a bronx accent...

you know wu Im sayin?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
As silly as it might look, if all other weapons failed I would resort to the Night Stalker:

For starters though as someone mentioned, a bow would be good for both hunting and if your assailant reaches you before you can fire, the arrows are sharper than your fists. Unless you have the Night Stalker.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I took a simple disposable camera flash circuit and made it bigger.

It zaps 7 bulbs at once and can fire every other second. It's so bright and emits so much X-ray's without the protection glass/plastic over the lens....I think it would permanently damage someones eyes. I mounted it under the rifle where a grenade launcher would typically go. Blind the bad guy then whack his head with the butt of the rifle.

Currently I'm working on a plasma weapon. Plasma cutters for cutting steel used to be a pain in the butt to start cutting metal. Then they created a circuit which would fire the plasma, before you even touch the torch tip to the grounded metal. This made it easier to start cutting metal. I've been working with that circuit and experimenting with different gases to see what gets me the longest plasma "light saber". My goal is a 5 second long burn time...1 foot length plasma "light saber". Make it ultra simple and light weight. After another year of refining I'll expand it to 30 seconds of burn time and try to get a 2 foot long "light saber". I've been having luck using a hollowed out speaker and using it's magnetic field to "stretch" the plasma flame. If I can get the frequencies just right....

Body armor would be irrelevant. I honestly believe firearms are no longer going to be self defense weapons in this century. If we don't get working on post-firearm weapons...the Chinese will overcome our technological superiority. I think the Government cracking down on firearms is trying to get us to use our good ole American Ingenuity and make the next big thing.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Useless. I am just going to blow my brains out instead.
edit:

Originally posted by Big Trouble in Little Chi
As silly as it might look, if all other weapons failed I would resort to the Night Stalker:.....

You will be the nerdiest Road Warrior around.
edit on 9-12-2010 by jetflock because: (no reason given)

Originally posted by Pervius

God, I hope your careful. Don't let anyone over to mess with it. Lol.
edit on 9-12-2010 by jetflock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I would prefer using a hardwood walking stick/staff. They are very useful in many different situations, They don't stand out or attract attention the way a katana would. Mine is made of Ironwood or hophornbeam very tough and hard. I keep it by my bed side in case of evil doers
I also have a Kershaw Outcast bush knife that I like. Cross between a machete and large fixed blade knife. I also have a roofing hammer/hatchet on a longer handle, like a tomahawk. I would feel pretty safe with this trio on my person.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sparrowstail

This will never happen. This country will never get to the point where these weapons will be in use as this thread has indicated.

It's fantasy stuff.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Recognize the accent?

2nd line
I am from the BX all day everyday !!!!

Originally posted by open_eyeballs
reply to post by fonenyc

the only thing that would make this dudes posts any better is a bronx accent...

you know wu Im sayin?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This had me thinking for a while, and i could not come up with a satisfying piece of equipment.
So far i came up with a very light weight small axe, a good hunting knife, simple to craft blunt weapon so i wont have to carry it when that situation comes.
than for defence a light wait throwing net, and 2 weights on a rope, easy to always carry with you.
And for the sake of the 20th century a very powerful led hand light, to stun, frighten, look where the f.. that darn sound is coming from.

edit oh and with the brains ill surely will only carry the defence, axe hunting knife, LED flash light cos the warriors would rather not see me go head on into battle

edit on 9-12-2010 by Guilp because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2010 by Guilp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Since you are so perceptive I will join in on the camaraderie... 2 edged armor piercing sword, a Katana for beheadings and setting an example on my block, rusty axe, nail gun Im gonna get a chainsaw to prune my leaves lol, machete

With the shottie and the 38. plus a machete and and axe hanging off the tool belt I guess safety will depend on my skillz at hand 2 hand and overall will plus survival skillz. Organization skillz would be the most important thing for anyone living in an urban community.

10 block radius zones must quickly be set up and expanding has to be itinerary. The most gruesome example made will win the admiration of people in fear. So cut off a head and set it on a pike in front of your house without vomiting and you can sleep easy with 1 eye open.

LOL I really hope it doesnt come down 2 this BS really. But it would be fun times

reply to post by open_eyeballs

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

I think I would use the machete as my primary, because in a knife or even sword fight, all it takes is a good chop to the arms of your enemy, and you render them incapable of using their knife or sword....then off with the head! Of course, this is assuming you are faster than your opponent, and can get a good chop on their arms as they raise the sword.... OMG I'm scaring myself!

edit on 9-12-2010 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
True but then again in the event of a nuclear war. Technology will be rendered obsolete and most of it that remains will be hoarded quickly by rogue gangs. You will need something to protect yourself from animals and zombies( basically people infected or driven to insanity by the horror). So just for arguments sake why not join in on the BS known as this thread.

A baseball seems to be the fave so far. Hey OP can we get a poll or something here?

reply to post by amc621

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

A good thrown net would render that machete rather useless for a while, so i can get a few good stabs in you're back! or the arm hand holding the machete .

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Simple answer, when you run out of ammo: "FIX BAYONETS!" Use the buttstock as well.

Wrist-rocket with the extra-strong orange colored tubing and .36 cal lead balls will definitely serve as a backup like the girl from N.E. Louisiana said.
edit on 9-12-2010 by 1SawSomeThings because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Guilp

LOL! True.....assuming you could get the net on me....I'm pretty quick!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Guilp

And don't forget I have my "tiger claws" which are razor sharp concealed in my hand, which could quickly cut the net enough for me to get a swipe at you LOL!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jaden_x

The fact of the matter is the value has nothing to do with it, necessities in a post apocalyptic scenario would be what someone would just kill you for and not ask another question about it. Shelter, food, medicine, and weapons would be things that are on a very high "value" list if all went crazy. I'd like to see how long someone like you would survive in such a vicious scenario as this, I'd say you'd probably try to run and hide from everyone but that'll only get you so far. You asked who could survive the longest, I'd say the answer to that would be the man without a soul.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

that is the trick, use the right size strength to weight ratio, maybe carry 2 versions light and medium, with practice you must be really good to dodge an open thrown net , with the thrower setting you off to entangle a bit more or just full out attack when its opened.

still it is surely a weaker muscled man choice XD

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

kuch, kevlar or nanotube kuch

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I hope when SHTF I don't run into any of you guys.
I'm not entirely confident that you are able to handle those samoerai swords and axes without accidentally killing some innocent people.
Heck, I can imagine an army of barbarians with kevlar and katanas roaming the street.
God help us all!

Edit: I'd be probably using this:

edit on 9-12-2010 by whatevername because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Lol I felt I had to join in on this.

Left hand: Heavy short sword
Right hand: Heavy duel edged axe

Chest plate armor with bulletproof vest underneath
9mm pistol back pocket for oh # situations
2 mini knives near my shoulders

Composite bow for ranged with Handmade short bow for unlim ammo supply

If its a free for all world, I board up my house with metal plates in my windows, heavy metal reinforced door, a series of traps setup that can be remotely activated like ear shattering noise makers and flashing lights, baricades setup throughout the house to have a defense advantage wherever an attack is made

Outside the front door there is a 20 ft wall, my house is positioned in a way where a wall would be possible to make, with posts and cameras setup in them with microphones. Behind that wall I could have a very small farm for any food i can grow and small windmills for electricity

Ofcourse this is completely out of reality, which is why its fun

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join