It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kilroy Silk was right

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
couldnt resist so here you go...some americans who are arab descent.

Arab Americans: Making a Difference

Paula Abdul -- Singer/dancer
Spencer Abraham -- U.S. Secretary of Energy
Elias Corey -- 1960 Nobel Prize Winner
Shannon Elizabeth -- Actress in "American Pie"
Doug Flutie -- 1984 Heisman Trophy Winner
Jeff George -- Football player
Dr. Michael De Bakey -- Pioneer heart surgeon
George Mitchell -- Former Senate Majority Leader
Danny & Marlo Thomas -- Actors
John Sununu -- Former White House Chief of Staff
Helen Thomas -- Former Dean of White House Press Corps
Bobby Rahal -- Indy 500 Race Car Champion
Current Congressmen -- Darrell Issa and Nick Rahall
Casey Kasem �- Radio personality
Lucie Salhany -- First woman to head a TV Network (FOX)
Jaime Farr -- Actor from M*A*S*H
Kathy Najimy -- Award winning actress
Ralph Nader -- Consumer advocate
Christa McAuliffe -- Teacher & space shuttle astronaut
Joseph Abboud -- Designer
F. Murray Abraham -- Oscar Winning Actor
Michael Nouri -- Actor in Flashdance

[edit on 3/7/04 by agent]

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo
Whilst i do not agree with 1ting4surewearenotalone l do believe that the UKIP are not in any way racist as the BNP.

Do you mean "not in any way rascist, unlike the BNP" or the more accurate "not in any way as rascist as the BNP"?

Are you aware, perhaps, that three of the UKIP candidates who stood during the recent european elections are former BNP members? Are you aware of the rumours of clandestine meetings between UKIP and BNP leaders to avoid "possible policy clashes"? Were you aware that several BNP websites carried the following touching message during the last election:

From the BNP...
"The Committee of [in this case] the Bristol & Western Counties Region send fraternal greetings to their UKIP colleagues in the SW and their sincere best wishes for success at the polls on May 1st."

A strange way to show the yawning chasm between their policies, isn't it? The simple truth is that the UKIP is BNP-Lite, scrubbed up and put in a nice suit so that they can get a seat on Newsnight. That is why they fail, time and again, to engage in debate on any genuine euroscpetic policies - instead, they prefer to declaim from a distance and return to the streets, where bigots can bluster until the sun goes down.

I am not a racist but

Careful, thosed words usually signify the end of sanity...

l believe that when other nationals of every religion and backround enter this country a mutual undersanding and respect must be shown on both sides with regards laws and religion.

True, though I have stated in the past my opposition to faith schools of any denomination. I fail to see how rascist name-calling, not to mention the kind of disgusting generalisations which dribble forth from Kilroy-Silk and 1Ting, improve relations between different communities and make Britain a better place. Are there rascist nuts on both sides? Of course there are.

As for Kilroy Silk his comments have been investigated by crown prosecution service and no charges will be made.

Right... and your point? Because he didn't go far enough to say anything that was actually illegal, his words are valid and unbiased? What Kilroy-Silk said in his newspaper article, and in a great many statements since his oily admission to UKIP, was factually incorrect, woefully ignorant and utterly repellant to anyone with the faintest idea of the history of science, literature and medicine. Period.

In a recent survey by the UKIP 25% of Britains questioned admitted that they are unhappy with Britain and are actively looking into relocating abroad.

Hang on, let me get this straight - a survey by the UKIP found out that Britons agreed with the UKIP. Isn't that interesting? Unfortunately, it doesn't explain why they struggled to a pitiful 16% share in the last election. Pay more attention to the figures than the polls, weirdo - this is the path to true wisdom.

While I accept that some people voted UKIP out of healthy, rational euroscepticism, the majority of it's votes - as the majority of it's members - were motivated by xenophobia and rascism. I have, during my time here at ATS, learned a respect for the minority of eurosceptics who put forward informed, rational arguments (hello to muppet and UK Wizard
) but that has just shown me how sadly lacking in real policies the UKIP is.

For a more balanced look at everyone's favourite pseudo-political bigots, click here, and here.

TPL

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
To those who belive the Visigoths were barbarians, who couldnt read and were warmongers read the following:

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Visigothic Code (Lat. Forum Judicum) are a set of laws that the Visigoth kings of Iberia codified in a legal body around 654 A.D.

Also read whatthe 'civilised' Romans did to them:
However, a famine broke out in the lands settled by the Visigoths a year later, and Rome was able to supply them with neither the land they were promised--they herded the Goths into a temporary holding area; it is often compared to a World War II concentration camp--nor the food. There was only enough grain left for the Roman garrison, and so they simply let the Visigoths starve. However, the Romans provided a grim alternative: the trade of a child for dog meat.

[edit on 3-7-2004 by TPL]

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
By that l mean that we celebrate our culture and our history.That we remain the majority and we do not allow it to become the minority.Most afro caribean people settle into British culture.This is not a race or colour issue it is against one religion and ideology defending itself from another.Britain has a strong Jewish community but they settle in and mix.At the moment the large number that we accept are higher than other European countries.My partner in non British and her country that is part of the EU they will not tolerate there culture being threatened.It is very dangerous situation just look at Americas race issue.History has proved that no matter how understanding and sympathetic we are mixed cultures will not live peacfully side by side.I believe it is in Britains interests to learn from the past to prevent race hate.I don`t want riots and muslims being threatened but there are real indications that Britain could become a breeding ground of racial hatred towards the Muslim community.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TPL

If you provide evidence then i shall agree with you.

Though many of the fighting nomads who followed them were to prove more bloody, the Goths were feared because the captives they took in battle were sacrificed to their god of war (who was likely to have been either Tiu or Wodan), and the captured arms hung in trees as a token-offering. Their kings and priests came from a separate aristocracy, according to Cassiodorus/Jordanes, and their mythic kings of ancient times were honored as gods. Their mythic lawgiver, named Dicineus, traditionally dated about the 1st century BCE, ordered their laws, which they possessed by the 6th century in written form and called belagines. - Taken from en.wikipedia.org...

Good start, eh?

After peace was secured a few years later, Honorius granted the Visigoths control of Aquitaine, which connoted a larger area than the modern region of Aquitainev in France, and the Visigothic kings expanded into Spain as well. At first, they shared Spain with the Vandals and Alans, but soon crushed the latter and made life so difficult for the Vandals that they moved on to North Africa in search of easier conquests.

The Visigoths' second great king, Euric, unified the various quarreling factions of the Visigoths, and in 475, forced the Roman government to grant them full independence. At his death, the Visigoths were the most powerful of the successor states to the Western Empire.

At its greatest extent, before the Battle of Vouill� 507, the Visigothic kingdom included all of the Iberian peninsula except for small areas in the north (belonging to the Basques) and in the northwest (the Suevi kingdom), plus Aquitaine.- taken from en.wikipedia.org...

Oh, and Here. By about 800, the Visigoths were again a minor power. Raiders at best.

DE

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx

Hmm...99% of them couldn't read, couldn't do math, and spent their lives wreaking havoc and plundering. Really, is it a far leap?

DE

without the visigoths and ostrogoths much of arabic control of former roman lands might not have been gained, it put much pressure on byzantine and rome and allowed many arab nations to conquer the byzantine empire and rome because the goths and others weakened them and arabs took advantage of the situation.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
without the visigoths and ostrogoths much of arabic control of former roman lands might not have been gained, it put much pressure on byzantine and rome and allowed many arab nations to conquer the byzantine empire and rome because the goths and others weakened them and arabs took advantage of the situation.

Yes, since the capacity to raid targets of opportunity and slay innocents is SUCH a valued cultural contribution. Oh yeah, did you forget the part where the goths stole those lands from teh Romans in the first place? Really, I tire of debating conflicting views of history. How about the here? Now?

DE

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Stranglands.

As you no in previous post about this subject l don`t completly believe the UKIP are snow white and pure.My main concern for Brtain is the fact that the large Muslim communities are causing many people to become resentful.Just travel down to Bradford and Luton.I believe this is bad for Britain.I am not prepared to see our culture disappear, l also don`t want the Muslim community to become a target for the extremists.I believe we have accepted enough economic migrants into this country.I didn`t vote recently for the UKIP because of there questionable ideas,but they are gaining ground and the BNP because of there radical ideas are joining and l believe they could become one organisation.I believe that they can only be defeated by our main political parties changing our immagration laws and introduce local goverment controls to prevent the Muslim and British community from segregating.

[edit on 3-7-2004 by weirdo]

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusExYes, since the capacity to raid targets of opportunity and slay innocents is SUCH a valued cultural contribution. Oh yeah, did you forget the part where the goths stole those lands from teh Romans in the first place? Really, I tire of debating conflicting views of history. How about the here? Now?

DE

no, the romans took over their lands and treated them as barbarians, ps: the arabs were just as violent and conquered other arab nations, the hittities are one example and others that dominated northern africa, the byzantine empire, babylon, persia, sumeria, assyria, etc.

[edit on 3-7-2004 by namehere]

LL1

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   

By that l mean that we celebrate
------>>>>>> our culture and our history.

------>>>>>>That we remain the majority

------>>>>>>> and we do not allow it to become the minority.

----->>>>>>>Most afro caribean people settle into British culture.
------>>>>>>>>This is not a race or colour issue it is against one religion and ideology defending itself from another.

TPL

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
OK i agree to an extent, in comparision with most cultures though at the time, they were by no means the exception.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere

no, the romans took over their lands and treated them as barbarians, ps: the arabs were just as violent and conquered other arab nations, the hittities are one example and others that dominated northern africa, the byzantine empire, babylon, persia, sumeria, assyria, etc.

A force of Goths launched one of the first major "barbarian" invasions of the Roman Empire in 267 CE. A year later, they suffered a devastating defeat at the Battle of Naissus and were driven back across the Danube River by 271. This group then settled on the other side of the Danube from Roman territory and established an independent kingdom centered on the abandoned Roman province of Dacia, as the Visigoths.- taken from en.wikipedia.org...

Well, this seems to disagree, don't it?

For the record, Sumeria, Babylon, Persia, and the Hittites were empire that more or less either came to power in different areas, or sprugn the remains of the previous occupying force.

DE

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
LL1

You live in Britain?

LL1

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
No, I don't. But living, being educated in NY and working here. Has allowed me to meet people from all cultural backgrounds and walks of life.
I do have family and neighbors that are British.

[edit on 4-7-2004 by LL1]

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LL1

LL1

You live in Britain?

No, I don't. But living, being educated in NY and working here. Has allowed me to meet people from all cultural backgrounds and walks of life.
I do have family and neighbors that are British.

Britain has for decades welcome nationals from all over the world.Most people living in Britain can trace there families all round the world.But there has become a distinct change in the way we are accepting people.Muslims are being targeted because of there numbers in the country.I visited Luton on business recently and found myself telling my wife that when l went for lunch l didn`t see one White person in one and a half hours.I couldn`t believe l was saying this and when l was there l felt like a visiter.This didn`t make me want to attack them or join the BNP and l don`t think l felt threatened it just was noticable for the first time.I have visited my wifes country several times a year and in a large city l have not seen a single african,asian or indian person.When my wifes family have visited they cannot believe how many none whites there are.There views are very near to racism as they are less tolerante and ignorant towards non whites.This is not a view l support but l can bet thousands that they will not have riots in there streets.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by eirdo
I visited Luton on business recently and found myself telling my wife that when l went for lunch l didn`t see one White person in one and a half hours.

Some communities are unfortunately segregated, due to extremism and violent stupidity on both sides of the community. It's tempting to see this as evidence that different cultures never mix, but that's just not true.

And I notice you say you didn't see one white person - not that you didn't see one British person. When exactly did the colour of your skin become your nationality? The fact is, weirdo, that these "non-whites" you saw were probably just as British as you or me - and without them, Britain wouldn't be the country it is today.

If you love Britain, you love it - at least in part - because of these small ethnic communities.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Strangelands

I agree totally that most of the people that were not white were British.I like alot of people enjoy indian,chinese,japanese,morrocan cuisine.And to have differant cultures are not a bad thing.But when there are extremes it can cause a reaction from people and at the moment immagration policy in this country is going to cause a reaction as it has in other countries around the world.It does not help when Muslim countries are involved in terrorism and l don`t want this to sound as if l am saying Muslims are terrorist.It is a touchy subject when the incidants of western people being targeted in Muslim countries.If America had the large Muslim communities we have do you believe that Americans would be so understanding.I think not since they have a serious racial problem in the past.

LL1

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
It's happening globally. NY has "changed". Populations of the new "races" are growing. The U.S. has also accepted large numbers. But you have to look at who has allowed it all to happen, and why. (in-sourcing)
Here in the U.S., including NY, it's for dirt cheap labor the flow has been allowed in. To do jobs Americans will no longer do.
Here in NY you won't see too many Whites or Black Americans working in McDonald's, or doing day labor work. They won't. In fact I have a friend from the one of the Carolina's, they expressed/noticed the same thing.
Go to the exclusive stores in Manhattan, you will see Asians in Gucci's.
Those that we both see in large numbers, are generally poor. They work as labours, no benefits.

[edit on 4-7-2004 by LL1]

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
i think its all out of hand now days,someone says something about arabs and its really innews an person gets a good telling off, but if an arab said something about us uk whites born an bred english uk they would get away with it an more.............

all political correctness so annoys me now days, its like we cant say what we want through FREEDOM OF SPEECH suspossedly anyway seems like its not freedom for us uk born an bred but it sure is freedom for non uk's living in uk, they get every handed to them before we english who lived here all out lives, just look at how they get houses ahead of normal born an bred uk's........

its true, it is so true, just stateing the truth from what i see an have read in papers.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LL1
We should never use a blanket statement for what some may
do to cover an entire group of people.
Who do you think translates for gov't. agencies the terrorists messages????

www.arabicnews.com...

Did anybody look at this link? By the way, I am Arab/Muslim. It's been interesting reading this thread.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join