It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks: US Senator Joe Lieberman suggests New York Times could be investigated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

WikiLeaks: US Senator Joe Lieberman suggests New York Times could be investigated

www.guardian.co.uk

www.guardian.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Having the Mainstream media up on possible esponage charges..
What the hell!
I thought you guys in USA had the your Freedom of speech.
SO what has changed in times past papers and media outlets have reported on classified event and i have never seen any harm come of it.
I thought it was an integral part of a demorcratic society, to publish material. Since when has america become china? The liones are sure getting blurred these days.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Maybe Mr. Lieberman (Mr. "Nice man" in my language) had some adrenaline too much about the latest events.

It surely was a mistake to ponder in the media about actions against the old media, too. Things like that could change some people's mind. Who would cheer to a guy, who wants to put you on a black list?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Siddharta

At least now we know why the media in this country has become an absolute joke since 9/11.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Jail Woodward and Bernstein for the watergate scandal!

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander!

The New York Times - published the watergate scandle didn't they, the one that brought down a US govt?

Who won in that skirmish - the US public or Nixon?

Seems to me like the corrupt cabal in the USA is on the verge of teetering...

Just my opinion - but I think the USA could be better off for the experience, despite any short term pain.

Cheers& viva the revolution comrades!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Correct me if I have read it wrong, but Is this why they got leaks of leaks as opposed to directly receiving the documents from Wikileaks?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Seems that the magician pulling the strings lost a hold of one of their puppets, and is not doing a very good job at playing it cool.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Lieberman needs to be ejected into space.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by thunderlady

The aliens would probably consider it rude.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
USA 2010 .

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

YES. Good movie. I almost have to wonder if it was law of attraction that landed that movie in my lap the other day. Definitely going to pick up the book, provided that they haven't all been burned yet.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
The politicians of the United States from time to time, will make gestures and political grandstanding, even at the point of taking on a major news outlet, such as the New York Times. There has been 2 times in which the New York Times has been on the chopping block when it comes to the federal government, the first is the Pentagon Papers, where classified information was given to the New York Times, that were then published, embarrassing to the current federal government. Here the US congress, tried to get an injunction to prevent them from publishing such, having it argued all of the way up to the Supreme Court, which then decided, that the paper, was not liable, and could not be touched, rather it would have to go after the person who initially took the documents from the source and gave them to the New York Times. The second times, as a poster pointed out, was during the entire Watergate investigation, in which a sitting US president, was brought down because of those actions. This is nothing more than political grandstanding, by a representative of congress, in an attempts to try to gather political favor, and boost his standing. He will try to do all sorts of things, but knows that in the long run, the freedom of the press and the freedom of speech will prevail in the courts of law. All he can do is go after the people who are providing the documents to Wikileaks, as they are ultimately the criminals in this case, not the outlet that publishes them. The leaks are considered of public interest and thus can also be fair game for the new organizations to report and print in their day to day operations.

top topics

join