It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Captured US Marine Hassoun Reportedly Beheaded

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Early reports are coming in that the US Marine who was captured in Iraq has been beheaded.
A statement was carried on at least two Islamist websites today purportedly by the Army of Ansar al-Sunna (Jaish Ansar al-Sunna), a group thought to be a branch of Al Qaeda. The statement also claimed they were holding another hostage.
Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun has been missing from his Marine unit since June 21st. He was officially listed as "captured" on July 1st after Al Jazeera broadcast a video of the blindfolded man and a statement indicating his capture on June 27th.
No photos or video related to the group's claim have been released at this time.
Nearly 24 hours after the original claim on what is described as the group's website, Jaish Ansar al-Sunna are denying that they killed Cpl. Hassoun. His fate currently remains unknown.

Reuters
The same website that posted footage of Paul Johnson's beheading last month is carrying the claim of Cpl. Hassoun's death.

The statement, in part, read:
"We tell your leadership that we beheaded the Marine of Lebanese origin [named] Hassoun and you will see the film with your own eyes soon ... Your soldier had romantic relations with an Arab girl and he was lured away from his base ... And we will soon issue a new tape showing a new infidel hostage."
The statement was signed by Abu Abdullah al-Hassan bin Mahmoud.

The statement was addressed to President Bush, and in addition to the claim, the statement also advised Bush to remove US troops from Iraq.

There has been no way to confirm this report at this time. The US military in Baghdad is investigating the claim.

The Army of Ansar al-Sunna claimed responsibility for suicide bombings in February which killed more than 100 people in Abril.

Details to follow . . .

More Information:
Encyclopedia: Jaish Ansar al-Sunna
Middle East Intelligence Bulletin

Related ATSNN Stories:
American Marine Taken Hostage in Iraq, Tape Shows Threats of Beheading

Related News Stories:
WashingtonPost.com
Sky.com
WTOP.com
FoxNews.com

[edit on 4-7-2004 by Banshee]

[edit on 4-7-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Not again. If this is true..........

Damn CIA/ Al-Quieda bastards.....

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
OH oh there's gonna be hell on earth on earth now!

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Hope they are lying. I feel bad for the family of the marine. When will this damn war be over!!!!?!?!?

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Ha, this war won't be over for quite some time. War is War. People die. Get over it. Is the world going to stop turning because of this man's death? NO.

Sure, I am sorry to hear this news, but people die in war. War is war. I do feel bad for this man, and his family, however, with war comes sacrifices. The civilian deaths were worse than this, for one reason. This man was a Marine. They enlisted knowing they were going to harms way. They should be prepared for death, like the ancient Samurai.

"This damn war" won't be over for a while, get used to hearing these sorts of news reports. More will come most likely.

-wD

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The thing is...

You cannot be swayed by these beheadings. Yes, they are atrocious. Yes, they are heinous. If we allow the terrorists to sway us by these actions, however, then we are playing directly into their hands. The more they see the outrage caused and the voices saying "get out of there", the more they will continue to do this.

Think about it: How long have these gone on? Since Nicholas Berg, the militants saw that they could spawn outrage and hatred from this; thus, they saw a means to affect the thoughts and emotions of their opponents. They will continue, and will try to find more heinous things to do to affect more.

Don't be surprised if you see a persoon tortured to death soon. I know it's terrible, but we cannot allow them to change our thoughts and minds. I just wish we would fight them on the same grounds.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Moral of this story folks is DON'T GET CAPTURED! Iagree with earlier post that stated "war is war". The BS that these animals are seeking Iraqie prissoners is just that BS, this is all for the "shock value" PERIOD

We don't Nuke because that would open a new genie, well treating prissoners such does the same thing. If I was in charge I would unlease a chit storm on those we hold that they specifically asked released.

Then I would go out and capture some more, we know basically who, where, and how. It's just been political up to now.

I would make ONE statement that these act stop NOW, OR ELSE.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Hassoun Hassoun, 24, of Salt Lake City, was last seen on June 19 in Al Anbar Province and was initially reported as missing when he failed to show up for duty on June 20.

"The circumstances regarding his capture remain under investigation."

Hassoun may have deserted the military in Iraq because he was emotionally traumatized and was abducted by his captors while trying to make his way to his native Lebanon.

Reuters: Marine Declared Captured in Iraq by Pentagon

[edit on 3-7-2004 by Riwka]

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
....and should be treated like ones. They should be castrated and tortured continuously, then shown images of their families and friends being tortured and executed then they'll know what it feels like.

Maybe if it happens to you Webdevil, we can just say yeah just another death it doesn't matter it's war. Yes he signed up for the marines but did he deserve to die like that?

Another thing they could do to the terrorists is put them in a room full of mustard gas then maybe throw in some napalm and show the the real meaning of pain.

Sorry just these people sicken me, they're a bunch of hypocrites they'll live in the west and then cry out at our way of life and how we are 'infidels' AND then they'll sponge off the western government milking all they can get. That's what's been happening in the UK and it just shows how false their own beliefs are. They're making things worse for Muslims, Islam is a peaceful and conservative religion what they're preaching is something else.

They've killed a muslim Lebanese man, they're continuously killing Iraqi muslims with their attacks. I think something is very wrong with them, don't you think?

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
These people don't know what they want they just want to kill people no matter theist race religion just last week I heard on the news that the terrorist were going to go after female soldiers I hope the military in Iraq doesn't let the female soldiers go out there but keeps them inside and don't let them see any field action. Seeing a female getting beheaded is far worst.

And Islam is not a peaceful religion where are the protest where are the outcries when they behead people but when the Iraqis were mistreated omg they started protesting going on the news doing everything they can to talk down to the US but now nothing zero not even a word from the Muslim community.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I'm sure the muslim community as a majority are disgusted and appalled at what's happening. From what i understand Islam is a peaceful religion, the Qu'ran is meant to preach peace and similar kind of rules as to the 10 commandments.

Maybe they're afraid of speaking out because they may be targeted by the terrorists. I think this whole 'Jihad' of theirs has gone out of control and isn't about religion anymore but purely hatred of anything that doesn't fit into their view of what is right or wrong.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I agree with you Westpoint on them not going after women. To see that done to a woman would just underline what barbaric and vicious animals they are.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
i have to say that the whole thing is awful. what is the new gov. over there going to do when they decide to kidnap some of their own political parties and do to them what they are doing to our soldiers? do they ever plan to take action to stop these acts of terror or are we to just sit by and watch out soldiers captured and die one at a time?

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Because Iraq is occupied by United States Forces, there is bound to be a lot of pissed-off people there.

The beheadings all seem to be coming from "home-made" videos and posted on internet websites. Obviously, these people have knowledge and access to current technology. Maybe they have a whole group of IT Professionals. Up to this far, I can't fathom why the United States Government hasn't at least been able to get a lead on where these beheadings are originating from. Some say it's because the CIA is involved, which may be a possibility.

As the article says, we should be expecting a new video of another "infidel".

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
On my way home from work yesterday (Friday about 6:15pm PST) I heard on the radio that this man had been released by his captors. I was relieved and surprised. Now this report comes out. Why doesn't the media confirm the facts before they broadcast "news"? How can any of us believe anything heard or read in the news when th only thing the media outlets are trying to do is be the first one to report breaking news?

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I'm not usually for violence to solve violence, but if I had access to these prisoners we have, I would hang them upside down (spread eagle), and lacerate their legs and let them bleed out slowly. If you keep them upside down, the brain gets blood continuously until the heart stops. And if they start to go into shock or try to meditate? Slap their faces with split bamboo. Screw this beheading crap! Yeah, war is war, but it seems anymore that the only ones who want this war are the ones controlling it. Our government WILL NOT STOP just because the entire nation is screaming at them to. We are peons and we get walked all over. Our opinion doesn't matter... we are just consumers. The spineless weenies who make the higher-ups fat and rich, and they know it. The terrorists know it, and that is part of the pain... not only seeing an innocent getting their head chopped off with a knife, but facing the fact that there is absolutly nothing you can do about it no matter WHAT side you are on! I say America form a mass suicide pact... if there is no more Americans, then the terrorists lose... about the most rational thing any of us could do right now.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Don't get me started on the media hehe

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Anyone got some Media of this.?

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Yeah, war is war, people get killed.

wHY ARENT WE KILLING THEM? tHEY ARENT THAT HARD TO FIND.

This is sick though. They dont care. They kill thier own fellow Muslim. They will kill anyone.

Animals. savages.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I'm concerned that, if the group's claim is true, they're holding off any photos/video until tomorrow US-time.
What bigger kick in the proverbial jewels than to flash the photos and/or video on Independence Day?

*sighs*

The poor family.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join