It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive dark object lurking on edge of solar system?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Massive dark object

www.dailymail.co.uk

A massive dark object may be lurking on the edge of our solar system, according to scientists.

Most comets that fly into the inner solar system seem to come from the outer region of the Oort cloud - a region of icy dust and debris left over from the birth of the solar system.

Now new calculations suggest a large object that is up to four times as big as Jupiter could be responsible for sending them in our direction.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8-12-2010 by infinite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Nibiru theorists on ATS will be going wild on this news.

The "Nemesis" theory, or a companion to our Sun is located a light year away - which is the mysterious dark object. I very much doubt it is "Nibiru" with an intelligent race on it (the annunaki) returning to Earth.

However, we've had numerous probes that have done past this region of the solar system and detected nothing - so it makes you wonder why on Earth it came from

www.dailymail.co.uk

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
S&F sir!
Cant wait for the screams of OMGzz nibiru end of world 2012 man!!!!, we shall have to wait and see what the team will find out. Very interesting

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

A massive dark object may be lurking on the edge of our solar system

Yeah right..If you call the edge 3 light years away...

Why they say on the edge I have no idea....
We would see a body that big from much further...

link   
Why do you pose a question on ATS. Go find out and let us know. This is not Yahoo Answers. Quit being lazy.

link   
reply to post by midlandslad

This is still only a theory though...

It's quite funny when you think about it.

Scientist- "We think there is a planet on the edge of our solar system hurling comets at earth!"

Journalist- "Holy crap!, How do you know this?"

Scientist- "We don't, we can't even see it''

Journalist- "*Facepalm* Sod it, sounds good, We'll print it anyway!"

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I vote for Cybertron.

Hmm, more than meets the eye.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
From way back in the day there have been theories that our system is actually a Binary system, and somewhere a brown dwarf star is lurking. Recently these theories have been revived, mainly because of the oort cloud study, in addition to the issues our probes have when travdeling through our solar system (there is a gravity tug we cannot explain as of yet).

I forget the name of the newest satellite launched, but its specifically designed to look for temperature among other things.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
what I want to know - are other solar systems surrounded by something like this oort cloud?

does anyone know?

is this unique to our solar system or do other solar systems have these comets?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Already a thread on this from yesterday.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Why not add to that members post??

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by megabyte

The Oort cloud is theoretical, a widely accepted theory but a theory none the less, so we can't even prove we have one.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
How can something located 1 light year away be a "companion" to our sun? I don't even think that would even qualify us as a binary star system.

I believe the Oort Cloud is located half a light year away right? Even Voyager 1 which was launched in the 70's and, got a great speed boost from Jupiter hasn't gone past it.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
It is the planet Mongol and it is Ming the Merciless that is throwing comets at us.
Where is Flash Gordon when you need him?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

A seemingly very eccentric orbit could do it. Take a look at the obit relationship of Sirius A and B (Celestiais free if you do not already have it). Something up to 3 Saturn masses could remain in a very strange orbit for a long time. And we should not confuse 'binary' with star system. The earth moon system can be considered a binary system, the term is used simply to imply that most celestial objects tend to be found in pairs (or groups of pairs) .

A couple of oddities to consider: asteroid 2002AA29, an object that shares the earths orbit

and

Epimetheus and Janus
moons that share an orbit

upload.wikimedia.org...

Two faced gods indeed, though proving that orbital mechanics are a far cry from looping a bunch of warped hula hoops on a a wobbly pole.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The edge of our solar system is MUCH less than a light year away so whatever "companion" is a light year away from the sun is not this.

Originally posted by infinite

Nibiru theorists on ATS will be going wild on this news.

The "Nemesis" theory, or a companion to our Sun is located a light year away - which is the mysterious dark object. I very much doubt it is "Nibiru" with an intelligent race on it (the annunaki) returning to Earth.

However, we've had numerous probes that have done past this region of the solar system and detected nothing - so it makes you wonder why on Earth it came from

www.dailymail.co.uk

new topics

top topics

join