It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghost in the Basement????? story + Pics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I have been reluctant to post this. The main reason being that I am pretty convinced, it contains nothing more than an interesting looking dust spec. However, I showed it to a buddy of mine, and he thought it was pretty cool.

So heres a little backstory.... The pics was taken in the basement of what used to be my grandmothers house. My dad grew up here, and my grandmother has since passed. Both my sister and i have both lived in this house from time to time. My sister moved in with a boyfriend and the house became available to me. My sister told me that she was convinced that the house was haunted. Now, she is pretty gullible, and would believe almost anything, so I just laughed it off. The story she told me, I know only to be partly factual. She told me that my dad had a younger sister when he was a kid(true). I only found out about this when I was about twelve years old, when on a nice family drive, my dad pulled the car into a small cemetary. Only he got out, and my mom told us that his little sister who had died from rhematic fever(spelling), was buried there. My dad never ever talked about this. It seemed like something we werent supposed to bring up. And that is all I know to be true.

My sister, had supposedly heard that the young girl had died in the basement At that time it was being used as a living area. I do not know this to be true. She said that she was convinced the place was haunted because sometimes she would hear a kids voice coming from the basement. Once again, I was totally unmoved by this story. I moved in, and it take take long for strange things to happen. The first was being awoken by beeping sounds coming from the kitchen. When I went into the kitchen I could hear the microwave going like it was cooking something. As I got closer, I could see that the timer kept going up, as if someone was pressing buttons. I turned it off and went back to bed. This happened for two consecutive nights, before I finally just unplugged the damn thing.

Then more things would happen. I would wake up in the morning and walk into the kitchen to find that a locked door leaded to a screened in porch was wide open. This freaked me out big time. I didnt know if someone had got in or not. After this happend on several random occasions, I bought a deadbolt for it, and never had the problem again.

The one that really rattled me happend when I was in bed one night and heard some strange noise in the basement. It grabbed my attention, but I went on watching tv. But then I clearly heard a door open. I jumped up and grabbed a golf club, and headed towards the basement door. The door is around the corner in the dining room and as soon I turned the corner I could see the door had been opened. The light in the stairway did not work, and I was reluctant to stick my head in the doorway in case someone had gotten in. I reached around and shut the door. I listened to hear any movement on the stairs, but it was silent. I stood there for a few minutes as quiet as I could be before I finally decided that maybe it was all in my head. I turned around, and headed back for the bedroom when I heard it again. I am getting chills even thinking about. At this point I was convinced someone was in the house. I went around the corner and the door was wide open this time. I said to myself, enough is enough, and grabbed a flashlight. During this time, things were totally silent. I jumped around in front of the doorway and shined the flashlight downstairs only to find nothing. I knew I would have heard a person moving on the stairs because they make a ton of noise. After calming down a little bit, I closed the door and propped a chair up to keep it shut. I dont think I slept at all that night.

There are a few other instances of strange occurences, but those are the ones that really got to me.

To the pics. I was recently back in the house. My dad has a small wood shop setup in the basement and he wanted me to take some pictures of a few of his projects. I did, and then I wandered to the back of the basement. The lights were out. I had just got a new camera, and wanted to see what the flash would do to a pitch black room. I took the first pic, and immediatley looked at the camera to see it. Something caught my eye right away. It looked like a round shape with a face in it. I moved closer to the area where I saw it, and took another picture. This one looked normal. I really thought I had something in the first picture. I went home and blew it up on the computer, and was not so convinced. However, I showed it to a friend of mine and he thought it was really cool. So here we go.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6c8c11280e86.jpg[/atsimg]
zoomed 300%
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9908372aa50b.jpg[/atsimg]
another with my horrible MS paint outline lol
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7b5e417930d4.jpg[/atsimg]
the second pic without the orb/dustspeck
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4e30ca617382.jpg[/atsimg]

Yeah, Im not so sure either. It looked alot more defined on the screen of my camera. I would like to hear what other people think about it and if anything, maybe you enjoyed the story. Thanks for reading!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
We used to do this on ogrish - find the face in the blood splattered body. Oh what crazy times..

Sadly, it's a stain on the wall dude.

It even looks like it

If you can prove me wrong, I will eat my own fingers so as to never type again...

edit

Second photo shows a very similar outline, with a slightly different light cast upon it...

edit on 8/12/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/12/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Cheesefacedogbone

Good read, thank you for taking the effort to relay this. My left brain is going to keep me from saying a few things right now, but I'm sure you are already on that page. - I would suggest that you spent the night in the basement, if you are feeling courageous. This is your young aunt after all, and if it is her - then you shouldn't have anything to fear. You've got every right to be there, as does her spirit. Horror movies and demon-talk have warped the way we percieve these things. You might learn something if you were to spend some extra time down there, I would say without the camera.

Maybe talk to your pops about this, after all you deserve to know more in any case.

Just my two wooden cents, for whatever it's worth. Star and flag, thank you again.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I you read my post, Thats pretty much what I think of it. I really dont think its anything. But the dude I work thinks its a ghost face.

I cant really see it in the second pic. Thats why I took it though, to see if I could see it without the speck of dust on it.
edit on 8-12-2010 by Cheesefacedogbone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

True, fair call to do it for a mate - I won't ever dispute that!!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Thanks for taking the time to read it.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
clearly the wall has a sad face and is crying "paint me"

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
It's strange, when I was a kid I could of sworn in my Nana's toilet there were the faces of Bob Hawke and Gorbachev on the wall. I think it's still there to this day.
So you may be right, sometimes a familiar pattern can arise from the most mundane of things.
Still if the Virgin Mary shows up on my toast to hell with common sense, that baby is hitting ebay.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
hi there... I wish MM was still a member here, she could have explained it very well (a lot better than me)

I will try... the scientific reason for 'seeing' things like this is that our brain automatically pre-constructs a shape to be an image/or something we can recognize.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaosMagician
clearly the wall has a sad face and is crying "paint me"

I think you just solved it!!! LOL

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Sorry, but what you're seeing is nothing but matrixing.. Not a ghost.

It's the reason why we see faces in everyday objects, from the front of a car to the clouds in the sky for example. It's simply the brain fooling the eyes by filling in the gaps.

These links may be helpful:

Pareidolia

Matrixing - Did you see what you think you saw?

EDIT: A great example of matrixing. It's absolutely nothing but 3 circles and a straight line but 100% of people see and recognize it as a face.

edit on 8-12-2010 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
To be honest buddy, i think anyone could look at a stained wall and pic out many different faces and outlines of objects if they wanted too! If you look there's many more faces aswell with different patches of mould and damp put together. Sorry bud!

Great story though!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

that is the scientific explanation. Well done... I am feeling lazy tonight and could not be bothered to expand.

star for you
and I agree with the scientific explanation, it is very interesting what the mind does

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

lol, thanks. I thought I should've gone into more detail instead of just adding those links though tbh but hey, I'm feeling kinda lazy too.

And yeah, I couldn't agree more, it's truly fascinating what the mind can do.

In regards to the OP, Btw, just so you know, I'm not claiming I know all the answers here and I'm not claiming I have debunked your pics or anything, I'm merely giving my opinion on what is happening in those pictures, and I hope you take it into consideration.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

OK, I think I should restate this, I have said this at least three times already... I dont think there is anything to the pics!!. This post was more about the story about the strange things that happened in the house. The pics are just there because a coworker thought he saw a ghost face.

I will admit when I first saw it on the 2 inch screen on my camera, it kind of looked like something, but upon see it full size. I pretty much ruled it out.

I just wanted to share my ghost story

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
good story, but i'm not convinced that the face in the wall is a ghost. i have a metal table with a marble effect on the top and it looks exactly like the devil off of the tenacious D movie. our eyes like to play tricks... sometimes creepy ones.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I have many stories

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I loved hearing your story - especially the part of the door being wide open as that happened to me on numerous occasions when I lived in a haunted flat. As for the pic - sure it is just a stain on the wall but interesting that it looks like a woman with long hair. Thank you so much for sharing - a night in the basement would be cool if you find a buddy to share the time there with you.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I don't think your sig is true. I think it's more common to fear and resist what you don't understand.

Sorry if that's off topic but I don't understand what would drive anyone to put that in their sig, so I thought I'd mention it. Not a big deal but what the hell, I feel like stirring the pot today. everyone seems to stir MY pot so why not start stirring other pots I come across.

I even have people sending me weird messages like they are trying to extract some kind of information from me which i don't have and they really suck at it! ...either that or they are trying to make some kind of point and if so, they really suck at that too!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I'm not sure what to tell you about the weird experiences, they certainly sound unexplained though I would try to look for rational explanations. Get the microwave looked at, for instance, it sounds like there's something wrong with it which I doubt has anything to do with a ghost trying to nuke a hot pocket.

I've had some weird experiences myself and yours certainly fit the bill of what is typically interpreted as ghostly activity however looking for rational alternative explanations is important before leaping to the supernatural.

As for the photo it looks like a classic case of Pareidolia, which is where the brain interprets "random" data has having a meaningful pattern (a classic example being the face on Mars, or finding shapes in clouds).

Pareidolia

Edit to add: Looks like Rising Against beat me too it... oh well

edit on 8-12-2010 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join