It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous are attacking INTERPOL / Mastercard / post finance / pay pal / advbyra.se (CURRENT)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Well as much fun as im having watching these sites drop like files, I have to go to bed.

Who knows what I am going to wake up to!

Goodnight all

edit - just thoguht id add clicked refresh one more time and it came back on.
I will try to put up the screen shot tomorrow if I can.
edit on 8/12/2010 by LestatG because: bbc bloody works

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

No kidding!

I kept trying to refresh some of the pages and then thought about what I was doing and realized its the same thing but smaller scale on my part.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Depending upon one's country, applicable laws, and all that jazz,

is there anything us non-hackers can do to support these efforts, but without breaking any applicable laws?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by abaddon6
reply to post by mr-lizard

Their website works like a charm, in fact the load time was excellent.

Lol, I thought the same thing. I don't believe any site has ever loaded so quick and successfully as INTERPOL's site.

Hack attack = FAIL.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
So these class A losers have proven they can bring one site at a time down. Bravo, impressive. Someone referenced wack a mole the other day, it's almost comical they take down one site, then shift their attention to another site then the original pops back up, really achieving a lot there..

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Tried to get access onto the visa and mastercard websites to make some payments... I think these hackers are targeting them as well. Both site won't load at all, the page shows up blank in my firefox browser.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

To be fair, they're just making a point. It's no different to the DOS attacks on WikiLeaks.

DOS attacks on either 'side' of the argument are ultimately pointless, but they're still happening. The perpetrators on both sides obviously think they're valid and worthwhile, otherwise they wouldn't be doing them?

imo it's more of a statement than anything really damaging. It all quite entertaining.
edit on 8-12-2010 by eightfold because: speeeling err0rz

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
If all they have hacked and brought down is their websites, but you can still use your MasterCard, then who cares?

Wow, whole lotta system crashing damage that is... Maybe if they brought down the MasterCard system and disabled all MasterCard user's cards I'd be impressed

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Just some thoughts;

This whole wiki leaks thing strikes me as typical government inspired problem-reaction-solution.

PROBLEM: people hacking and stealing secret and 'damaging' (o'rly?) government files.

REACTION: outrage by the public that wikileaks or others can do such a thing. (however this seems to have backfired on TPTB as people are surprisingly sympathetic (not a surprise to us mind)). So then they have to send a more chilling message by having banks and civilian services affected by anonymous evil networks of hackers. Eventually the people turn on wikileaks and beg for the government to sort these bar-stewards out.

SOLUTION: governments provide a solution that limits/controls the current freedom of the internet, to protect its people.

The mass herd breathes a sigh of relief and thanks their powerful benevolent masters for removing some more of their freedom and civil rights. Computer security companies begin to reap mass profits in the aftermath.

Having said all this I would like the above scenario to be wrong and hope that we are witnessing genuine people trying to revolt peacefully in their own way against a group of powerful and corrupt criminals and organisations who are attempting to stop the disclosure of damning information.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
All i see happening with all these Anon attacks is that there will be a lot more learned about how to control DoS attacks..

With attacking interpol i will bet they are recording all the IP addresses of the attackers.

This could at a later date be used to punish the people that contributed to these DoS attacks.

It would not suprise me that in the future people that knowingly contribute to DoS attacks don't get a letter in the mail from a law firm just like the people that get caught illegaly downloading music or movies get asking for money or they will be sued.

In the Police and Justice Act 2006, the United Kingdom specifically outlawed denial-of-service attacks.

In the US, DoS can be a serious federal crime under the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act of 1996

Many other countries have similar laws.

And you can bet that Interpol is keeping records of who is attacking them.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

Disrupting the payment systems won't be on the DOSers agenda - anyone with the knowledge to take part in such an attack would know the public facing mastercard.com domain will have nothing to do with the payment systems. Assuming otherwise would be like trying to bring down the ISS by DOSing nasa.com. It's a ridiculous idea, and I think you possibly misunderstand what they're trying to achieve.

It's more of a 'fly-buzzing-round-your-head' annoyance tactic than an attempt to nuke mastercards payment systems. I guess it's a show of force, a show of support of wikileaks, and an attempt on the part of the DOSers to be part of what's turned into a major international incident.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by eightfold

Well ddos attacks on wikileaks is wrong no doubt but that hardly makes attacking the public anything but irresponsible and immature. All the more reason I personally would have nothing to do with wikileaks and their partners in crime. Which is really sad because not to long ago I thought they really stood for something and could impact the world in a positive manner. But judging by their recent actions and the people they surround themselves with I'd have to say they go against the way I was raised and the morals that were instilled in me. But by all means if it gives you positive enjoyment and fulfills a void in your life then maybe they did something right for you.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Off the Anonymous twitter feed

"There are Some Things Money Can't Buy. For Everything Else, there's HTTP Error 408 Request Timeout"

I love these guys.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by digit78
Yes, they actually ddos www.mastercard.com and the website is still down, or very slow, right now

Their method is pretty basic and don't require high hacker skills :

- they ask people on twitter, facebook and other social networking, to join their irc server (irc.anonops.net channel #operationpayback)
- they ask these people to read for example, this web page that explain how to install a software named LOIC on their computer
- Once they have installed the software and launch it, the client computer joined the botnet. They named it "the Hive"
- After, the owner of the Hive, a member of the "Anonymous" group tell the botnet which website is the target.

So it is a new kind of "Voluntary" botnet.

Anyway, many things surprise me :

- their Irc channel is "open" for everyone, so everyone can join it and watch the show.
So the chan is probably or will be monitored by law enforcement.
The irc server mask the real ip of the client connexion, so they must feel secure on Irc.
But the client computer IP adress who attack the web servers is not masked, so they can be traced quite easily.
(not so easily on big websites that handle a lot of connexion, and so get many normal clients ip on their logs)

- Actually, from the irc channel : " .: There are currently 616 LOICs in the hivemind. :."
So with just "616 clients computers", they have succeded to take down postfinance.ch, mastercard.com & others web site.
I think it will be more difficult .. Maybe these website were not so much protected that we can imagine.

They already have tried to take down paypal.com but don't succeded. This website is more secured, with a lot of more bandwitch than the others.
They said they need around 1000 to 5000 clients computers to take down paypal.com. If the botnet continue to grow, they will maybe try again.

The PandaLabs Blog is monitoring the recent news on this matter : here

edit on 8/12/10 by digit78 because: mispeeling

Could you explain in VERY simple terms what this will accomplish if I install it on my pc.
Thank you!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
people saying that you can be traced

so what

its not like they can prove you actually downloaded and wanted to take down that website

a lot of people uses this same principle to "hijack" computers and add to their network, so they can attack

so, you can at this moment be attacking some place and you dont even know

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
lol Anon_operation seems to have been kicked off twitter
edit on 8-12-2010 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Ha, patronising much? No, it doesn't fill a void in my life, but I am enjoying the theatre of it all. You should try and avoid thinly veiled personal insults if you can, this isn't the place for them.

DOSing mastercard.com isn't 'attacking the public' - it's attacking the face of an international corporate entity that has publicly disowned WikiLeaks, allegedly because they were put under pressure to do so. What the DOSers are doing is no more right or wrong than the equivalent attacks on WikiLeaks. It's making a statement and showing support rather than an attempt to achieve anything tangible. It's a bit like going on a protest march?

If the US gov was more honest, less agressive and more diplomatically transparent then none of this would have been necessary. Personally, I'm of the view that what you say in private should be the same as what you say in public. It's far easier said than done, but the recent cables show that the Scottish gov did exactly that, and so are unembarrassed about their part in the leaks.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Fortunately, the basement dwellers must have decided to switch back to finish installing WoW Cataclysm , as the whole thing seems to have fizzled out. At least all of the linked sites loaded for me.

For the Horde, anon!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

Yes, www.bbc.co.uk.

Still working and fast.

Visa is not working.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join