It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media outlets may be probed over WikiLeaks stories, Sen. Lieberman claims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Media outlets may be probed over WikiLeaks stories, Sen. Lieberman claims

www.rawstory.com

Can the US government prosecute media outlets that reported on the WikiLeaks cables? According to Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT), the answer is maybe.

Following the release of thousands of documents by government watchdog WikiLeaks, Lieberman told the The New York Times that he wanted to use "all legal means" against the website.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

"But then what about the news organizations, including the Times, that accepted it and distributed it? I know they say they deleted some of it, but I'm not here to make a final judgment on that," Lieberman continued.

"But to me New York Times has committed at least an act of bad citizenship. And whether they've committed a crime, I think that bears very intensive inquiry by the Justice Department."

This is absolutely incredible. Now Sen. Joe Liebermann the dual American-Israeli Neocon Democrat has decided to add this to his list of attacks upon our Constitutional rights. Just earlier this year he proposed stripping citizenship from Americans whom the government might deem a ‘terrorist’ or a ‘threat’. Now he wants to launch investigations into media outlets which have done extensive reporting on WikiLeaks material and possibly have them punished by law.

This violates the first amendment very blatantly and obviously Liebermann has no regard for the Constitution or the provisions within which clearly state no restricting the freedom of the press, which is exactly what he wants to do.

There is no way that we can allow this to occur. Now we will have Janet Napolitano, big sister, on television in Wal-Mart’s telling people to report their fellow citizens for possible threatening activity. The TSA doing invasive pat downs and saving pictures on their computers of our nude bodies which has now extended beyond just the airports to bus stations and train stations. Assassination of Americans with the authorization of the President’s consent and now we have Liebermann wanting an investigation into media outlets such as the New York Times for exercising their freedom of the press rights.

Welcome to United States, 1984.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
This is insanely out of control. I find it sadly ironic that 10-15 years ago I was saying this would happen and people laughed at me. I would say "who's laughing now" but I'm not. We should all be VERY concerned. Seriously, where did those video screens telling you to spy on the other shoppers, and neighbors come from. I think most of you know. And as if the media wasn't already walking the thin line of what's allowed -- they will finish off the media.

Even China doesn't have spy on your fellow shopper videos. SERIOUSLY. I don't know what can be done. But something has to be. This is insanity.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

Portable EMP, destroy the technology that allows them to mess with our rights.

2nd line

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I agree this is disturbing to say the least, perhaps as the many folks who have vented here and there, "is this the cause we the People are to take up" and stay the course no matter the outcome. Many folks such as myself have waited for a defining point that the average citizen can say to their Governement "enough is enough" with tooth and nail and how would we proceed from here? I am no student of law, is this a blatant violation to the First Ammendment without question, meaning are there any legal decisions that support Lieberman and others? Although the First Ammendant appears to say what it says far too many times the courts have ruled what reasonable and prudent people would not agree with.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

S&F

The anti-WikiLeaks campaign is truly... concerted. Vicious. BS.

More proof that democracy needs WikiLeaks to survive. We're headed to global corporate government, and not much else stands in the way.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I'd like to see Senator Lieberman PROBED over some of the crap he pulls.

I can't stand that man. Can anyone stand him? I really don't know, I don't know a soul that likes him.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I agree, this is like a vicious madman on steroids, out of control. One more brilliant, and perhaps unexpected spin-off, is that the leaks are really exposing these people for who they are. I'm thinking of keeping a list, because some of them are really exposing themselves. It's not all completely hidden behind the fine external veneer any more.

The veil is being pulled back a little bit more.
edit on 7-12-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Nope.

End of story.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
As far as I am aware they haven't yet been able to find a crime which Assange has committed. A lot of this is also an attempt to terrorize future potential whistleblowers. Psyops in full swing by psychpaths!

And what this is also telling me is that they are terrified, absolutely terrified of the bank info being leaked. He, he! Strife in the vipers nest.
edit on 7-12-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Nope.

End of story.

You cannot contribute anything more than 4 words to this thread?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Toss this together with the World Press Freedom Day announcement , and you have a wonderfully spicy bowl of irony soup!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is all just so crazy, you have to take a step back and laugh. Or cry.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
I'd like to see Senator Lieberman PROBED over some of the crap he pulls.

This is actually a sound idea simply because an anal probe of Mr. Lieberman might reveal who's hand is up there actually doing the talking ... it's called the Jim Henson conspiracy and would literally reveal said very stinky 'hidden hand.'

Apologies for the graphic nature of the metaphor but it is apt on so many levels.

Btw, there's no way this is happening, like most everything else to do with WL it is based on intimidation.
edit on 7 Dec 2010 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
You cannot contribute anything more than 4 words to this thread?

'Cannot' and able are two different things.

I have been hearing stuff like this for awhile...the Cass Sunstien story rings a bell...

Reactive legislation is just that...reactive. While there will likely be some sites that will feel the effect, communication will still occur.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Fortunately, Senator Lieberman is merely one out of 100 in the Senate. He is in no position to impose his will on the whole of the United States government, singlehandedly. The matter of allowing the publication of leaked documents, even ones embarrassing or troublesome to the federal government has already been decided in journalist's favor, many years ago, all the way up to the Supreme Court. Also-- this business of changing laws to make Wikileaks and Mr. Assange prosecutable is patently illegal and unconstitutional. Ex post facto laws can not be applied to criminal cases. Ross

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Liebermensch sure is a pushy little creep.
How anyone could mistake him for a liberal is beyond me.
He's a moron to boot. thinking there is anything to be prosecuting news outlets over.
Dream your little fascist dreams creamypuffz

top topics

join