It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Dark Object Lurking On The Edge Of Solar System

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

"...Some sources postulate that remnants of the Oort Cloud extend as far as THREE Light..." you assume the Oort cloud is real, but to date IT STILL remains an unproven theory, so your theory carries little or no more credence than the 'dark drifter' theory

In fact current solar formation theories (and stellar observations) favor binary formations, even ones with very odd proper motions like Sirius A and B (and possibly c?), plus the Oort theory has a bit of trouble when it comes to a)redshift measurements and b)how interstellar space got and remains so populous with mass. And as the voyager space craft are now telling us: solar radiation pressure gets canceled out (possibly by galactic or other extra solar radiations) at a distance far before predicted and well before anything like the Oort cloud, so it's existence and formation have some significant challenges.

If I were you I wouldn't set much weight on it's backbone.

Alternatively a number of calculations and simulations done on Neptune and Pluto find ALL the data for the relationship orientation and orbital oddities of these bodies to be unexplainable except by a rogue body crossing their orbits. The calculation (given the wide range of 'start postion' possibilities for the current orbital conditions)over a wide range of parameters(distance speed vector etc)show the mass of the object cannot be less than 3 to five earth masses ( density unknown )

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
"It's absolutely true because I read it in the Daily Mail" www.youtube.com...

Nothing's been discovered so far. Just because a couple of astronomers made a suggestion doesnt make it true. We need observational proof!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Well its march 4th. All the nibiru/comet elenin crazies believe that it crosses the ecliptic today, bringing about the start of a polar shift which is supposed to finish on march 15th.lol

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

I am neither condoning or condemning the "dark planet"/"dark drifter" theory and personally my favorite two bedtime stories are from the national inquirer. Those being "scientists plan to blow up the moon" (now almost ten years behind schedule), and "Wisconsin farmers start a 23+ pound grasshopper hunting league" ( I live in wisconsin and even without the actual existence of 23 pound grasshoppers some of the farmers here might still form a league to hunt them ;-)

but...

"...for every ten thousand idiots a genius, it's a statistical fact..."

So to steal a line from the watchmen '...as you well know bias journalism sells more magazines...', and Halloween wouldn't exist if humans, as part of their very nature, didn't like a bit of scary excitement and mystery now and again , so as with so many things a dozen idiot cranks being totally wrong does absolutely nothing for any science other than psychology,

Whereas priori and then observational support can do quite a lot. Mostly we still have a lot to learn. Observation then sometimes painstaking and embarrassing theorization hunts up true knowledge. The problem is stalwart entrenched academics have a certain vested interest in most cases, and given that SPACE IS HUGE good theories are critical in not only knowing where to look but how the "exceptions" often times need mountains of evidence before they are even grudgingly considered.

For example some eccentricities that I posted on the one of the other 'dark planet' threads:

(In regard to orbital oddness that may help in understanding the possibility of a dark object

A seemingly very eccentric orbit could do it. Take a look at the obit relationship of Sirius A and B (Celestia is free if you do not already have it). Something up to 3 Saturn masses could remain in a very strange orbit for a long time. And we should not confuse 'binary' with star system. The earth moon system can be considered a binary system, the term is used simply to imply that most celestial objects tend to be found in pairs (or groups of pairs) .

A couple of oddities to consider: asteroid 2002 AA29, an object that shares the earths orbit

and
Epimetheus and Janus
moons that share an orbit

Epimetheus and Janus orbit

Two faced gods indeed, though proving that orbital mechanics are a far cry from looping a bunch of warped hula hoops on a a wobbly pole.

I personally think that given the orbits, rotation, moons, inclination and proper motions of Neptune and Pluto relative to each other and the sun evidence strongly suggests a large body crossed their orbits (traveling away from the sun ) in the past, is it possible that something even stranger than a "horseshoe" orbit could exist for a larger body Object ?

Although I personally think that any 'dark body" disruptors in the solar system need not be an actual mass, but instead an alignment of conditions wherein positions and motions of sun, planets and moons allow a 'balance' point for the resonance structure of the gravity wherein a normally insignificant (still could be 3 or four earth masses) mass (or really insignificant mass of high angular momentum), could cause perturbations to critical points of phase...much like LaGrange points, but instead of being located in space they are located at various points in time.

The practical upshot would be that gravity resonance (or wave if you prefer) cancellation or multiplication couid at times create phantom ("dark") "mass" that could tip or otherwise effect orbital mechanics with very small motivators.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join