It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whilst the Winter Chills Your Bones (US/Britain/Europe) Remember YOUR Homeless lest They DIE...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Apathy has no place in other's decisions. They made their proverbial bed, now let them lay in it.

Should it be the citizens responsibility and there expense for these wrong decisions?
edit on 7-12-2010 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded

Apathy has no place in other's decisions. They made their proverbial bed, now let them lay in it.

Should it be the citizens responsibility and there expense for these wrong decisions?
edit on 7-12-2010 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

Yes

Society has a duty to EVERYONE.

NOT just those deemed "worthy" .

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

So with that logic, its ok to redistribute someone else's labor, just so someone else can acquire the fruits of that labor? Where in the Constitution does it say that we as a society are responsible for someones bad decisions or judgments?

Hint: It doesn't!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

Maybe in your little fantasy world, but in reality, it doesnt.

For those who are homeless due to their own choices, society owes them nothing.

They deserve each and every ounce of pain they feel.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater

Maybe in your little fantasy world, but in reality, it doesnt.

For those who are homeless due to their own choices, society owes them nothing.

They deserve each and every ounce of pain they feel.

what about the ones that are homeless through no fault of their own? and why do the ones who made mistakes deserve pain?

they deserve a way back if they so choose, a way to be able to rebuild their lives, not be left in the gutter with no hope and no ability to get out of the situation. if people who commit actual crimes can turn their lives around and help others, then what has somebody who is homeless done to you that they do not deserve the same chance?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
In canada where I live there is one homeless man who makes enough from people giving him change to fly south for the winter, we also have 3 men's shelters and a soup kitchen as well as many women's shelters. For children we have the snowsuit drive and there are again the shelters which accept children. There is also a family shelter somewhere I'm just not sure where. In addition to these we have the breakfast program for all children. So I'm not too too worried. Its the ones that sell their childrens snowsuits for alcohol or drug money that deserve to freeze. If you want to make a difference donate money or petition your government to do something. Don't argue with people here. If they think the homeless all want to be then there is no changing their minds.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Walking to work this morning the ambient air temprature was -9°C, which is ok if you step out of a nice warm house wearing clean clothes that were designed for this weather and filled with a cold beating breakfast.

But imagine if your bedroom was a doorway, your pillows was frost covered concrete, and there is no breakfast or escape from the cold... Ever..

In the U.S., homeless people have access to various resources for housing that they turn down except on the coldest nights when they may opt for a homeless shelter. The department of human services in all U.S. states will work to provide shelter and other assistance to persons who are homeless. Community mental health services in states also perform some of these services for persons with severe mental illness who need treatment and eventual placement in a home. In addition, there are a variety of private organizations that will help a homeless person move into a stable home. In other words, the homeless that you see on the streets are that way either out of conscious choice or because their mental illness interferes with it.

It seems you are from the U.K., but is it not the same there?
edit on 7-12-2010 by IamCorrect because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

Of course the homeless due to a bad economy etc etc deserve help, just not from the federal government. There is no Constitutional authority for the feds to act in such a manner.

If states want to help, they are more than free to do so, as are private charities.

The ones who made poor choices shouldve seen the writing on the wall. There is not any circumstance in which drinking yourself stumbling drunk every day is a good idea, or a wise choice.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Apathy.

People never are thankful for what they have and always moan what they do not have.

Your post is right.

You know, I get upset sometimes when I hear that we should be
thankful for what we have and I will tell you why. I am thankful
for what I have however I am not thankful that theives in the form
of corrupt politicians, bankster and down right criminal organizations
steal everything the people have such as 401k's, savings through
banking fee's, taxes, our homes when the greedy have stolen to much
from the people so they have to harrass, mock. setup so that we lose
our jobs and the banks repo houses. They use the same things plus
technologies to get us to divorce and steal our children by being on
(welfare). Then someone comes along and say's "be thankful for what
you have or you are ungrateful".

Can you Imagine what I really want to say?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
i thought i would just post this, as it is the words of a homeless man.

just to show not all homeless people are the same, and they are human beings with feelings, just like everybody else.

o.k. here's the link www.youtube.com...
i am going to have to find out how to link youtube video's it was not as staright forward as i thought.

and www.youtube.com...

edit on 7-12-2010 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-12-2010 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

Shame, shame, shame...Man, thats one of the most cold hearted, nasty ass things I've heard in a long time. You should be ashamed of yourself but I'm sure you're not. Hunger and cold hurt no matter the circumstances on how someone got there. A lot of these ppl are veterans that've been pushed aside by society, forgotten. Some drink just to kill the pain of loneliness. Some do it to dull the memories of the horrors they've endured in Vietnam. Who are u to judge who's worthy of help or being saved? Everyday more and more people are losing their homes. By the grace of god or dumb luck u happen to sitting in your nice warm home eating you nice warm food. It could very well be u one day and I hope that those who pass u don't have the same outlook on you as you do on others in the same situation.
When I got out of work the other day there was a gentlemen across the street sitting in a wheelchair. It was freeeeezing. My ears hurt from the cold and wind. He was in a sweater. His pants were rolled up to where his knees should be and his little stubs were sticking out. I was silly enough to ask 'Hi, how are you'. He said he was cold, so very cold. How could u pass someone like this and not feel your heart wrench or your eyes well up with tears. Earlier that wk I'd bought one of my kids another (another) jacket, keeping it in the van until I could take it in and wrap it. My kids don't need 3 different coats, one for roughing around in, one for school and one for dress. I took that big blue, down filled jacket and wrapped it around his little stumps. Do u know that the gratefulness in this gentle mans eyes were worth every single $$ and more that I spent on that coat.
It doesn't have to be a coat or $$. Buy an extra coffee or hot chocolate when ur filling up on gas. You may not be able to change the situation they're in but u can make their day just a little more bearable. I can't say this enough. I feel were obligated to one another. That if were evr to be judged it will be in direct relation as to how we treat our fellow man.
Kim

edit on 12/7/10 by Demetre because: Spelling...I'm sure there are more....

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I use to donate my time to an organization I will not name here.
The organization is good, the people even better however there
are always some that mess it up for everyone else. I used to cook
hamurgers and sell them to people at functions such as Festivals.
The profits were donated to a orphanage. Every years we had a
few of these cook outs and the money would go to buy Christmas
presents for orphans. Well needless to say, some always wanted
the recognition and would stand up and make lofty speeches and
often not even give credit where credit was due. Though I am still a
life member, I really don't attend this organization anymore because
it has become so political. Who ends up getting hurt? The orphans.
I think may people who try and help the homeless are in the same boat.
Lesson learned. Since then I will give them some change or a couple of
bucks even though I have none and am almost homeless myself. Moral
of the story? Help those who need help directly and not through middlemen.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Demetre

As individuals, we have no obligation to help others.

Some are deserving of help (recession hit someone hard and they are only experiencing a rough patch in life), while others (degenerate alcoholics or other morons who are irresponsible) do not deserve anything whatsoever.

The help for that first group needs to come from private individuals or charities, but not the government.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I say, chap, this is a bad thing. If only we could force people to pay the government to give out free homes to any and all people...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

In the ilegal immigration threads I often bring up how many of our citizens make like two bucks over the poverty limit therefore cannot recieve the benefits they so desperately need. Homelessness is devestating especially in the colder climates. Even if you are unemployed, you can give a coat that you no longer wear, a hat, a scarf, boots, blanket, etc. Never ever lose your compassion. You don't know these people or how they ended up in such a situation. I doubt anyone would wish this on themselves or anyone else.
edit on 8-12-2010 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
My personal opinion is the homeless situation will never be "fixed" for the simple fact there really are some homeless who prefer that lifestyle.

I live in the country close to a small town and even here we get homeless people coming thru or staying because there are more places to "hole up". Each and every one I have talked to I have offered my home to. Several turn it down due to fear of motives and I understand that, several have said no as soon as I said they could not not do drugs or drink excessively (we do not drink but are not opposed to someone having a beer after work or to relax etc - but the drink till you fall down stupid doesnt cut it), and several have turned down the offer as soon as they found out they would have to work!

However, those we have taken in, the offer has always been the same, they can stay as long as they need to, but the ultimate goal was to get them their own place, or whatever stability they need(ed). We would house them, feed them, give them rides to and from work (or job hunting), doctors, etc. And being realistic, up to and until they got a job, they would have to help around the house and yard (not "slavery" type work, but general maintenance - cut yard etc). No drugs, no excessive drinking. They had/have their own room and tv and the kitchen is always "open".

It has not always worked out, drugs and drink usually win out, BUT I can honestly say we have tried, and sometimes succeed as in the process I have new "family"
one calls me at least every other week and calls me mom and we consider him our son. We took him in when he was 14. His grandparent knew where he was - I personally talked with them. They did not care as they still recieved their checks for having him. We took care of him until he was 17 and had to move to AZ. Tho he has had a few bumps along the way, he is doing well and is now in his own place, a job, a car, and looking at returning to school. And when money is "available" he comes to see us.

Unfortunately we could not save his brother. The brother came to us at 21. He is one who returned to drugs and that lifestyle, it hurts even worse as he has a family and a beautiful little boy. But they know where they can go if want a new life and help. All who have moved on are welcome back anytime. If I remember correctly in total 7 people (memory is an issue with me), and certainly not the last. Our home is always open to any who need it...

edit - I should point out that the above are for those who stay at the house. For those who just need a night or two, the "work" part wasnt even discussed and for those who were trying to get home or to another "safe" location we would either find the money for a bus ticket, or if within a 12 hour radius, drive them ourselves.

edit on 8-12-2010 by Casing because: clarification

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I'm reminded of some creepy things I've heard -

I'm in Chicago and I met this guy once who's workplace had a dock on the Chicago River. He said they'd sit out on the dock and smoke and watch the dead bums float down the river......

I also spoke to a fireman once, diver for the fire department, and he said this river is so filthy that you literally can't see your hand in front of you. He had to retrieve a dead bum once - and the foot came off in his hand......

What a horrible life these people have, as well as often ignoble deaths. Many are mentally ill. We have a HUGE homeless population here. These people MUST be helped and deserve our care. If they are sick, they need help. Many are normal who have fallen on hard times who also need our help.

On an uplifting note - I'd see one guy downtown, he was at the end of one bridge every day - no legs. In a wheel chair, war vet, I believe. This one woman - she brought him breakfast and coffee every day - from a nearby restaurant.

Homeless people, or those "down on their luck" - are not all bums. And even if they are, they deserve our compassion and help.

I have to wonder about too - for my general area - there are so many homeless yet vast areas of homes stand empty in Detroit, Gary, even here in Chi.

It's all broken. All the "systems". And what's worse is - those of us who are fortunate are encouraged to sneer at those who are not.

edit on 8-12-2010 by Whiffer Nippets because: typos.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by pilot70

For once an important thread

All of you go DO something .... buy the homeless guy in front of your shopping centre a pack of bread and some butter a knife and something to put on the bread ... give him your old sleeping bag ... make a difference

DON'T pay 50$ to some charity .. they'll use it all on "administration" - fat bosses getting fatter - support directly instead = 100% goes to those in need
edit on 7-12-2010 by pilot70 because: add last paragraph

I don't know where the heck you're from, but giving a homeless man a knife in Boston, MA? Yeah you're asking to be robbed and or killed regardless of the fact you were "trying" to help them.
edit on 8-12-2010 by Gakus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread. I've been trying to think of clever things to write, decided instead I'm just going to go out and give some tents and sleeping bags to the homeless.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join