It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MasterCard, Visa Europe Halting Payments to WikiLeaks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

MasterCard, Visa Europe Halting Payments to WikiLeaks

www.businessweek.com

Dec. 7 (Bloomberg) -- MasterCard Inc., the world’s second- biggest payments network, and Visa Europe Ltd. are suspending use of their brands by WikiLeaks, which released thousands of secret U.S. military and State Department documents.

MasterCard and London-based Visa Europe, operator of the largest card network in the European Union, are following EBay Inc. unit PayPal, which recently cut access to WikiLeaks for violating the online payment processor’s acceptable use policy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Here we go. I personally pay for everything with my Visa Check Card and have, at times, used pay pal. Wikileaks has now been effectively been cut-off from everyone who uses Mastercard or Visa check cards and credit cards. This is an enormous source of funding from everyday people. Wikileaks has made some powerful enemies and it distresses me that free speech and press can be so effectively attacked by corporate powers. Most people aren't going to send out a personal check or cash to some organization via the Internet for security purposes. How many are going to walk a briefcase of money over to wikileaks? I wouldn't even know where to take it.

We know wikileaks is about to release bad info about a major banking power. If all the banks followed the credit card companies, you would not even be able to send a check to wikileaks. Information itself is under attack and those with the money seem to be winning. Technology has taken away our ability to spend to our own money on what we want. This is bad.

www.businessweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7-12-2010 by andrewh7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This just shows how all encompassing and powerful TPTB truly are. They control your very means of subsistence. They control your movement, your trade, your religious ideas. And when they want, they can isolate you like you were just sent to the moon.

They own us all. It's terribly sad but that's the truth.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Disgusting as each day goes now we see so much more than corruption against a man who wants to hold goverments accountable . Whats wrong with that? ,we vote for them we should expect nothing less!!
edit on 7-12-2010 by TREASONFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
SNIP Visa, Mastercard, and Paypal.

I don't use them, and especially after this, why should anyone else? Pay with cash.

I think Wikileaks, aside from exposing imperial ambitions of the US, was a project designed to test just how far the powers that be can really intrude into our lives. This was a test to show that the more things that we take for granted, like convenient credit cards over cash, the less control we really have over ourselves.

So I ask this: Now that it is proven that credit companies will control your spending habits, will all of you continue to use credit cards like sheep being herded through a gate?
edit on 7-12-2010 by burdman30ott6 because: DO NOT EVADE THE AUTOMATIC CENSORS.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
There are still many very easy ways around this temporary problem. There are many different prepaid payment services around the globe that would welcome the new customers with open arms! I think once they realize they have done nothing to stop or slow down Wikileaks they will give them back the ability to do business with them. Hell they should keep doing business with them just to keep track of where their donations originate from if anything. But these types of people are just distancing themselves from the "bad guys" to stay in the good graces of the world leaders I am sure.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Feeling somein spiration to rite about this Julian AssAnge situation. The ties are Hai and the Sea sons are low, let us move swiftly now, all sy stems are "Goe"

MASTERcard

Red and Gold
Blood and Gold
Conquests of Old

Master is the Way to Go, unless The Roman has your Sole.

I smell a weekness caving in.
Someone lost their Alchemist Djinn.

What's in your wallet?
What card do you carry?
Now witch one is it, that pays The Ferry?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Wau Holland Foundation published a press release.
They say, they don't have any access to about € 10 000 which were collected for Wikileaks through PayPal.
The public statement, the Foundation would support "illegal activities" is a direct diffamation. Their lawyers already wrote to PayPal, to delete such statements from their blog and to unlock access to their account again.

Press release in German

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by andrewh7

Someone should charge these companies..
They have no right to say what you can do with your money and in the case of Paypal actually holding money, isn't that theft???

Wikileaks has NOT been charged with a crime in ANY COUNTRY,
So on what basis are these companies freezing accounts???

Is this the future run by Corporations?
Where they may decide someone is guilty BEFORE a court does and act on their own????
I find that a very scary thought....

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Innocent until proven guilty... Right.
So, im not up to date with Legal matters and what-a-not but, surely its kind-of victimising to the wikileaks group in someway..?
Assange has been charged/acused with rape. Not Wikileaks, An Orginisation.

Yes, they've released private documents. (which where given to them by another source)

Bemusingly, Assange is now being called a rapist. For NOT using a comdom. And for apparently having Sex with a sleeping woman.

Now the case was dropped over a month ago by one Swedish Judge, yet picked up again by ANOTHER who has issued two warrents.. One was not done correctly, so was Void. Whilst the second was issued and recived on Monday, leading to Assange being detained at a Police station at 9.30am on Tuesday (today) morning.
He has since been refused bail, on the fear that he will attempt to flee the country (even though he handed himself in) and whats his apparent charges?

How many people in the UK have been charged with rape but have been given bail? Obviouslly depending on the seriousness of the matter they'd be detained until sentance.

Now, since he's going to fight the 'BIG SUPRISE' suspected extradition to Sweden who'll somehow put him on a plane to USA, what implications would come to light from his side on his treatment by the ever so pride-full and politically correct Police service of Great Britain?

Im sure that'll be his next leak.

Plus, now he's in prison, isnt he exposing Goverment Lap-dogs who bend over to 'please'...? ...in their VERY VAIN attempts to Break Wikileaks?? (maybe theres a file on these credit companys?)

And, when-ever a normal person Verbally suggests murdering someone, and its heard. Dont they get charged with incitement or something?

I like the way it works both ways... (sarcasm).
Talk about double standerds.

eee.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
This whole thing is very strange.

You've got Assange stating he'll release dirt on a certain financial firm in early 2011. Many people speculate that this is going to be Bank of America.

We also just heard of the Fed having problems printing the new "counterfeit-proof" $100 bill.
www.cnbc.com...

A significant production problem with new high-tech $100 bills has caused government printers to shut down production of the new notes and to quarantine more than one billion of the bills in huge vaults in Fort Worth, Texas and Washington, DC, CNBC has learned.
Initially scheduled for release in February of 2011, the new bills were announced with great fanfare by officials at the Treasury Department and the Federal Reserve in April.

So, right when Wikileaks will be releasing data about BoA corruption and a potential bank run necessitating hard cash, we have a potential physical cash crunch at the Fed. Coincidence?
To me, this is the Problem/ Solution paradigm:

"Problem": "we can't print these bills! What can we do?"

"Solution": "we've got to go to all digital currency, it's the only way!"

Wikileaks looks more like controlled opposition every day.

How MasterCard and Visa fits into this I have no idea, but something seems to be brewing with the digital currency movement.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
So you can use your mastercard and visa to give money to the Ku Klux Klan and Stormfront, but not wikileaks..

Fantastic!

Right now I wish everyone would just turn in their plastic and go to the bank to get all their money in cash, I think it wouldn't take long to get wikileaks back since they don't have that kind of cash.

edit on 7-12-2010 by SkurkNilsen because: spellomatic2010 V.2.0

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The way to stop this is to but a charity in front of them. So that the charity, with several destinations for money, can accept monies for, and provide it to wikileaks indirectly

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
The way to stop this is to but a charity in front of them. So that the charity, with several destinations for money, can accept monies for, and provide it to wikileaks indirectly

The problem is that any organization that can accept paypal, visa, or mastercards risks losing that capacity if they're found to be a front for wikileaks. They'll all claim "term of use violations" and kick the intermediary to the curb. These organizations have control over most of the money - credit or checking accounts.

The co-founder of torrent site Pirate Bay and fellow champion of free information recently reminded his Twitter followers that they could still donate money to WikiLeaks through his micro-donation site, known as Flattr.

Flattr also needs to be careful that it doesn’t too widely promote its financial support of WikiLeaks, beyond Sunde’s Tweet earlier this week. There’s always the risk that PayPal, which is not shy of shutting down users’ accounts when it sees a red flag, could do the same to Flattr.

Source< br />

edit on 7-12-2010 by andrewh7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by andrewh7

then have a lot of charities...

school yourself on how labor eventually threw off the oppression of industry ... its all in there, and its all about numbers...

new topics

top topics

join