It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC push to 'regulate news' draws fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

FCC push to 'regulate news' draws fire

thehill.com

Copps had suggested that the test would make a broadcaster's license renewal contingent upon proof that they meet a prospective set of federal criteria.

He said outlets should be mandated to do the following:prove they have made a meaningful commitment to public affairs and news programming, prove they are committed to diversity programming(for instance,by showing that they depict women and minorities), report more to the government about which shows they plan to air, require greater disclosure about who funds political ads and devote 25 percent of their prime-time coverage to local news
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 7-12-2010 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
LOL

I'm not sure why this would 'draw fire' when literally anybody with two brain cells in their head knows the news is ALREADY controlled by the gov and their corporate masters.

This appears to be just more dog-and-pony, fluff-and-filler, song-and-dance, staged acting from our puppet 'leaders'.

But perhaps the FCC wants even MORE control in recent light of the wikileak stuff. Cant have the plebians having too much data, outside of what Hollywood scandal is taking place, who our latest 'enemies' are, and how the economy is continually growing, and to keep cooperating, consuming and conforming like good little obedient tax-payers.

thehill.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This is a case of "damned if we do, damned if we don't".

I'm leaning towards a totally free press however.

Rev.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Looks like Alex Jones is piping in about this today as well.

Love him or hate him, he's not far off in what a completely fascist country we are becoming.

"1984" coming to life.

FCC Push to Sovietize Broadcast Media in America

In short, the FCC is moving toward a state-run media no different than the one in the Soviet Union and any number of crackpot dictatorships around the world.

Rep. Joe Barton of Texas asked Copps whether “five commissioners can do a better job of ensuring that Americans have access to a wide diversity of content and viewpoints than Americans can themselves by expressing their preferences … in the vigorously competitive marketplace.”

Full Article:

www.infowars.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
It seems to me like they're looking to push this law so that it's easier for them to label rogue news agencies and media as terroriste.

Personally I'm pretty disheartened by the way the U.S. is turning out. Our forefathers who founded this nation are probably turning in their graves at the moment. And those who are implementing these laws are purposely skirting the Constitutional laws and creating "gray areas" so the laws can exist.

I'm thinking they are going to try and clutch down on our 1st amendment, then go after many others if they don't just burn the Constitution soon. That will be a VERY sad day for those responsible because I think that there are at least 80,000,000 Americans who still believe in their Constitutional rights and would defend it to the death. I'm one of them.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stryker Ops

Personally I'm pretty disheartened by the way the U.S. is turning out. Our forefathers who founded this nation are probably turning in their graves at the moment.

We ARE our country. Those forefathers fought with their lives to create the nation WE are sitting on our bottoms complaining is slipping a way.

Maybe the ones they would be mad at are US... not TPTB which are always trying to take away our liberties.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianoprazeMaybe the ones they would be mad at are US... not TPTB which are always trying to take away our liberties.

This times infinity.

It's like we're sitting on our butts, often complaining about what to do online without doing anything at all. I realize that it feels a little out of reach for an armed uprising, but it probably felt the same way when U.S. gained it's freedom? I'm not advocating violence however, I would like to see country wide demonstration against the governments way of handling (and treating) it's citizens. Easier said then done though, I know.

The OP's story is just a sign of things to come. First TV news, then internet news, then tv shows which "make fun of" the government will be denied air time because they don't meet the governments requirements. Then internet blogs due to the same reason, then general websites which discuss anything that puts the government in a bad light (ATS) will be shut down.

Next thing you know, we're all screwed world over.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

......he's not far off in what a completely fascist country we are becoming....

Correction. We have BECAME.

Nobody believes Propaganda Newspapers anymore and isn't buying their newspapers. So the newspapers are all insolvent.

Of course the Propaganda folks would want to end where everyone has turned. The FCC push to "regulate news" is laughable. The American people have allowed Congress to give authority to the President to shut down the internet or single out websites to shut down.

We ARE a fascist country.

The highways in America were built for DOD. So was the internet. They are about to take THEIR realm back us sheep graciously funded for them. What we need to be working on is the next alternative.

I theorize someone could get a T1 line, set up a server that will only allow dial up access from local numbers. Hence STATENET's will be born. Networks within States that the Federal Government would have ZERO authority over.

This will be the next big boom. States will embrace it and protect it from the Fed. Why? They would be able to collect sales tax on sales on the StateNET's. It would support LOCAL jobs.

The Fed's may attack States if this ever happens. Can you imagine?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

I theorize someone could get a T1 line, set up a server that will only allow dial up access from local numbers. Hence STATENET's will be born. Networks within States that the Federal Government would have ZERO authority over.

Do not forget the all purpose COMMERCE CLAUSE

After President Roosevelt threatened to pack the Court to dilute the influence of the uncooperative "nine old men," a majority of the justices took to the most expansive definition of the commerce clause like a drunk to drink....

Enter Roscoe Filburn, an Ohio dairy and poultry farmer, who raised a small quantity of winter wheat — some to sell, some to feed his livestock, and some to consume....

...the Agricultural Adjustment Act, the central government told Mr. Filburn that for the next year he would be limited to planting 11 acres of wheat and harvesting 20 bushels per acre. He harvested 12 acres over his allotment for consumption on his own property. When the government fined him, Mr. Filburn refused to pay.

Wickard v. Filburn got to the Supreme Court, and in 1942, the justices unanimously ruled against the farmer....

The Court's opinion must be quoted to be believed:

[The wheat] supplies a need of the man who grew it which would otherwise be reflected by purchases in the open market. Home-grown wheat in this sense competes with wheat in commerce.

As Epstein commented, "Could anyone say with a straight face that the consumption of home-grown wheat is 'commerce among the several states?'"....

After Wickard , everything is mere detail. The entire edifice of civil rights legislation stands on the commerce power. Under this maximum commerce power, the government has been free to regulate nearly everything, including a restaurant owner's bigotry. The Court has held that if Congress sees a connection to interstate commerce, it is not its role to second guess.

www.fff.org...

We can thank FDR for an incredible amount of tromping on the Constitution and the American people.

FDR is the one who confiscated gold from the general public and gave it to the bankers to be turned over to the Rothchild's Bank of England. www.wakeupfromyourslumber.com...

FDR is the one who was president, when Harry Dexter White, a soviet spy was a senior U.S. Treasury department official. He [Dexter] was a primary mover behind the Bretton Woods Conference, the formations of the World Bank and the IMF (International Monetary Fund).

The IMF/World Bank siphons money from the US people and uses it to oppress third world countries using SAPs

FDR instead of being considered one of the "great Presidents" should be called what he was - a traitor to the American people and to the United States.

Dall, who was married to Franklin Roosevelt's daughter Anna, spent many nights at the White House and often guided FDR around in his wheelchair. He was also a partner at a Wall Street brokerage.

Dall maintained a family loyalty but could not avoid several disheartening conclusions in his book. He portrays the legendary president not as a leader but as a "quarterback" with little actual power. The "coaching staff" consisted of a coterie of handlers ("advisers" like Louis Howe, Bernard Baruch and Harry Hopkins) who represented the international banking cartel. For Dall, FDR ultimately was a traitor manipulated by "World Money" and motivated by conceit and personal ambition. hubpages.com...

Dall just confirms what his own actions tell us.

FDR instead of being considered one of the "great Presidents" should be called what he was - a traitor to the American people and to the United States.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
You are likely correct crimvelvet.

Even if the network was only local phone numbers the Fed's would likely demand authority over it thru the Commerce Clause....even if nothing crossed State lines.

State's aren't sovereign anymore. Why we still have separate States is a farce, they have no sovereignty over their areas anymore.

new topics

top topics

join