It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So are you a FLAG seeker -STAR seeker OR A TRUTH SEEKER.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Just asking due to the copied threads and some of the interesting topics I see. Are some ATS members here for the FAME AND NAME. Me I come here to learn and sometime share what I can to advance the many as best as I can. It is nice to see flags and stars because you feel you have tapped into a potentially valid point that others can relate to. But when I see threads that do numbers and then there is another 2 or 3 simular threads like the original I somtimes wonder if this is because of multi members researching the same topic or is someone trying to steal flags and stars from an original poster..... It happens alot so I am asking. Why do YOU make threads?

1 liners answers are welcome. Eternal Peace! Free of Darkness and Sin.....

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Stars and flags ultimatly mean nothing. OK, they may get a thread more/less attention if it's been/not been flagged to hell and back. I sort of liken them to something I saw on TV last night (as it happens) A show about computer game addiction. The makers of addictive games, put little trinkets in, little mini prizes. (extra lives/stuff for your characture ect) These are very powerful, as they give you the same little type of pleasure, that a drug addict gets when he has a hit. This is how i (now) view the Flag and Star system. Another little hook, to keep us on the line

(I won't flag your thread, I don;t want to be resposible to making you even more addicted
)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Thank you for you input my friend. And I know what you mean when I play them video games getting more ammo or a better weapon always makes you get a real rush. So you liken that type of psycology interaction to the Flag and Star system. lol notice you cannot star me
Valid point the S&F can become addictive to some members and force them to make threads to feed their addiction. Makes alot of sense.
Peace friend
edit on 12/7/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
Why do YOU make threads?

Because I'm bored and the subject is potentially of interest to either myself or others here. Stars and flags don't mean that the poster is any better or worse than anyone else. It just means that a lot of people - right or wrong - agree with what you said. And being part of the majority or the group think doesn't mean you are right ...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I like getting post starred (and have developed a personal rule that if I get to a point where I have more than twice as many posts as stars, I'll stop posting until the ratio is corrected), but mostly my ATS addiction is about arguing - bringing people with radically different viewpoints to the same "location" is one of the best things about the internet, as it provides opportunies for people who (for whatever twisted reason) like to tell other people that they are wrong.

edit on 7/12/2010 by TheWill because: wrong conjunction.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I don't know if flags mean much, really...
I have seen hugely flagged OP's that were out to lunch- like the Simpsons's clock prophecy.

And I have seen really good OP's that die a quick death because they aren't sensationalist...

...Like the Simpson's Clock Prophecy is sensationalist.

It's a pity... there are some really great reads in the Land of Misfit Threads.

Stars are different. People will star posts that they agree with.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

OMGZ all 3, Because with the flags and stars, people know others are resonating with what your saying... So in a sense the flags and stars our important... Almost as important as the truth...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
And being part of the majority or the group think doesn't mean you are right ...

I totally agree and mabey if some members caught on to this the content on ATS will be upgraded some instead of copied.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

Interesting, somewhat a vent for some to tear into others with different belief systems. I can see that as a reason to post for some.
thanks

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
i don't have that many flags. i don't start many threads because someone will always beat you to it.

i don't have that many stars, either. I think i have a little more than 1 star per post.

I pay little to no attention to that stuff. i am here to gain information.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

have developed a personal rule that if I get to a point where I have more than twice as many posts as stars, I'll stop posting until the ratio is corrected

And if the ratio is not corrected, are you going to go on a Star-Strike..? Not eat or post until it is corrected..?

This could get interesting...I'm gonna follow your ATS career and intervene (via stars) when I deem it necessary.

edit on 7-12-2010 by facelift because: mmaarrg idte!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I'm just here for a chat and debate about topics I find interesting, flags don't interest me, although stars do, as you can use them in the shop (I think, i'm still to go and look at whats on offer to spruce up my profile), and it's always nice to know you have made a worthwhile contribution.

If I see some interesting news i usually wait an hour to see if someone else posts it first, I hate feeling the pressure of needing to keep going back and forward to respond to peoples comments, especially as I work odd hours.
edit on 7/12/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/12/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I should add that there remains a hope that someone will convincingly tear a hole in my belief system.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoodearth
I don't know if flags mean much, really...
I have seen hugely flagged OP's that were out to lunch- like the Simpsons's clock prophecy.

Me as well friend.

Originally posted by thegoodearth

And I have seen really good OP's that die a quick death because they aren't sensationalist...

...Like the Simpson's Clock Prophecy is sensationalist.

It's a pity... there are some really great reads in the Land of Misfit Threads.

There are and I seen a few of mine make it there lol but hey majority rules basically so you gotta roll with the punches. I wont try and make threads that seem trendy just for the sake of S&F usually my threads come from deep thought in relation to humanity and GOD. These topics either piss some off or totally cause disbelief within some to erupt, but to me they are important so I share.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I simply like to participate and learn. I do like the extra pleasure I get.

I can't help it I'm an ATS junky....

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I was told there was a Golden AK-47 with extended cliips and genade launcher attachment at the final level completion. I haven't stopped working for it yet.

I like to post to get out the topic I find to be interesting. As you can see, many of my threads don't get a lot of attention but they get replys etc (and some don't).

But the topic is there. I can't help it that it doesn't stike a cord and get a ton of S&F's etc. Doesn't matter. I can't help what people say/type and/or do. Only what I do. If they like it-great.

Example. I feel this thread I did on a American US Solider from WWII is a great story and demostrates the ability of Russian and the US to work together and not against. To me, the true comspriacy-keep the sides at odds etc. But it really did die. I think the other 3 flags came later as there were no comments. Anyway, back then, I thought I had a winner. Everyone would fall all over......

It died quickly but for me, the story and research I did on it was a turning point. I decide to stay with posting what I like and want to see discussed and not worry about pleasing etc.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Im telling you. A movie in waiting....
edit on 12/7/2010 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I pay little to no attention to that stuff. i am here to gain information.

Exactly my friend
as this site does provide information surrounded by intentional bull to keep us digging.
thanks for your input friend

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

If it happens, I will probably sit at my computer, whine to myself for a bit, change my profile and then (somehow) get a life... checking my computer regularly to see if the ratio has returned to a better one (NB: ratio of 1/2:1 looks, on the page, like Mendel's 1:2:1 in offspring genotype for single locus heterozygote crosses, hence its significance)
edit on 7/12/2010 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

You seem like a pretty level minded poster from what I have read and this is a more less healthy approach to this issue. Its nice to debate topics that everyone may not agree upon and actually get to the bottom of the discussion content and find truth. Thats what I liked about ATS since I joined. Me i I notice a potential topic I will also look first befor creating a simular thread because sometimes the multi threads just get confusing. You try and keep track of some you may have interacted with just to find they are in another thread.

Thanks for your comment

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join