It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: A 3-D Tour of All the Known Galaxies, In 90 Seconds! (amazing)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

This little video, brought to us by NASA Goddard, shows off all of the galaxies we're currently aware of, in one swirling, fluid shot. It's like the visualizer your freshman college roommate used to stare at on his laptop while listening to Sigur Ros, under the influence of who knows what--but for real.

Apparently the video was created by taking images from the Hubble telescope and several other sources and placing them in a virtual 3-D space, corresponding to our viewing vantage point. Basically, it's a 3-D video tour of the universe as we know it at the moment.

Source: www.popsci.com...

It is these kinds of videos/articles that I find easiest to understand. Just watching this video put me in another realm of discovery mode.

Simple amzining but yet breath-taking and mind altering. For me at least.

This think really puts the universe in a better perspective for me. Just how big is this thing!!!!!

As I have said many of time, if we are the first race (only race) capalbe space travel then we must do it-for the betterment of man.

If we aren't the first race to be able to head out into Space, then we must strive to advance and get in the game with the other players.

May, if we are the first and/or only one able to go into Space, we have a big job ahead of us. Capt Kirk stuff is a WAY WAY off in the future. But hey, gotta to start somewhere.

Enjoy.
This is the link from the article to the big video but I couldn't get it to open. Good luck. The Youtube one is pretty darn good in itself.
svs.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I appreciate your f&s's but please, leave your thoughts too.

Honestly, this one just blows my mind. How can a person, after seeing this video etc, not give some credit to the argument that there is the possibility or there is an extremly high chance there is another life form out there close to-or alike-humans.

At least something with a brain that can resemble human activity etc. Yes, Star Trek type stuff.

And if not. Well, as I said-we got a lot of work to do and we better start expanding our race off this planet in case there is some doomsday event that wipes this one planet (Earth) out. If we are the only ones, that would suck.

So, our priority really should be colonization off this planet ASAP. Maybe re-think how we are doing things now-in my opinion-NO FAST ENOUGH.

And, if in the event we do currently have the ability/technology to leave this planet and travel to the Moon or Mars etc. Then time to let us in on it. I believe the nation would be able to be mobiliized to build whatever we need to accomplish any mission we set out to do-IF we believe in it. Example WW!!.

We have plants all over American-empty. People out of work etc etc. Imagine the power of all the people-committed to a common goal. So, great, we got the tech. Now we need to make a boat load NOW. Some like the Pyramids and how they must have been built (if you believe the concept of the Egyptians as we know them and are taught to believe how they constructed the pyramids
)

Sorry, got a little ahead of myself. You got the picture I think.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I emailed a link to your thread home, since I cannot view youtube videos from work. I've been looking forward to checking it out all day.

The first thing that struck me as it was panning out and around was how egotistical man must be to place himself at the "center" of the universe.

Then it dawned on me, of course we're at the center of our "observable" universe. Our sphere of observability, beyond which we cannot see because not enough time has passed.

But then I thought about how we're seeing so far into the past now, that we're very close to observing "the beginning" as it were, so, say an alien race much closer to the location of "the beginning" is looking in the same direction as us, can they see beyond "the beginning", since they are the center of their observable universe?

Thinking about the universe makes my head something something. Thanks for the awesome post!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Thinking about the universe makes my head something something.

I completely agree. If you sit down and ponder on this video and what makes it up, it boggles the mind. Expand it to the area I referenced earlier about if we are the first race to achive Space travel/exploration or one of the newest races etc.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by tjack

Thinking about the universe makes my head something something.

I completely agree. If you sit down and ponder on this video and what makes it up, it boggles the mind. Expand it to the area I referenced earlier about if we are the first race to achive Space travel/exploration or one of the newest races etc.

It's also interesting to note that presentation was only in a hypothetical "3-D," but the actual universe also has a number of other more difficult to comprehend dimensions, like time, zooming back and forth and in and out of each other, making it practically incomprehensible. And why does it exist like this? Because that's the way we perceive it.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tjack
Then it dawned on me, of course we're at the center of our "observable" universe. Our sphere of observability, beyond which we cannot see because not enough time has passed.

It's not just that. We actually are at the center of the universe. The paradox is that everywhere is the center of the universe, particularly if you consider that when it was very small, before the expansion forward and backward into time, the entire universe was compressed into the very spot where you are sitting now. But if you move to any other place it the universe, at one time, it too was the center, and still is.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

This video is great! The 3Dness really spiced things up.
Thanks for posting. Here area a couple of similar videos...

edit on 7-12-2010 by drkid because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by drkid

Not bad, not bad at all. good vids.

I think it is on a lot of peoples minds.

Man, I wish we could have unlimited access to any and all files of NASA.

top topics

join