It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grammar Lessons For ATS Members: Join in.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

that is one i see all of the time... also atleast... incorrect, it is at least... i see that a lot as well

dictionary.cambridge.org...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
a lot = two words!

"alot" does not exist, it's not a word.

I get that one wrong alot........

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

In grade school, the teacher had a huge letter "A" on one side of the chalkboard and on the other was the "LOT"
It was her pet-peeve and it worked. I've not forgotten!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

I dun went to the zoo like a day ago, n da animals were there pingwins an the lions were cool to. i dint get 2 feed them cuz they were like no u cant feed them tho. but i went n gave a monkey sum piza n it was real happy cuz i think they just give em banananas wwhich sux cuz they r real cool animals n r probly hungry 4 sumthin wayy beter like piza. uh this is off topic but i jus wanted 2 say thx ur grammer tricks r really sumthin il luk in2.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Hey, you - perhaps you should start with this podcast, I think it would help...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdb51
Another common mistake on ATS is "lose" and "loose". When you lose something, it is gone until you find it again. When you loose something, you are setting it free, or making something less tight.

Example: If the collar you put on your dog is too loose, you could lose your dog.

I think most posters just get in too big a hurry.

Thank you for this post. This is one of my biggest pet peeves, grammatically speaking, and it irks me to no end that so few people understand the difference between the two words. And this issue is not isolated to ATS but all over the web from what I have seen.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I before E except after C fellow ATSers, and make sure you check spelling in the thread title or you will get the grammer nazis after you

don't make me misunderestimate you guys

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
is a podcast lyke a haiku??

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Trouble with haiku
Is that you just get started
And then you have to

edit on 7-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: fixed haiku... Lol

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I actually won my 4th grade spelling bee with "a lot".

I thought it was common knowledge ha ha.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrDesolate
Now, here's a question: If you're introducing one of Frankie Valli's backup singers to a friend, do you say, "This is Tommy. He's a Season."

It would still be better than being a backup singer for Gladys Knight.

"Johnny, what does your dad do for a living?"

"He's a Pip."

My grammar pet peeve is ending a sentence with a preposition, although I am occasionally guilty of it.

"What word should I end this question with?"

Still, I wouldn't resort to correcting anyone's grammar on ATS. Although correct grammar and spelling make for a more coherent presentation, I am more interested in the ideas being presented. Besides, not everyone had my 9th grade English teacher. Thank you, Mrs. Perrenout, for being so rough on me, and forgive me for forgetting how to spell your name.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

If I couldn't end my spoken sentences in prepositions, I would probably never be able to speak. My wife can't stand it when I ask
"Where did I leave my keys at?"
I'm pretty sure she will shank me the next time I do it.

I'm surprised nobody has talked about there/their/they're.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

I would like to add another set.

Their and there are very commonly misused.

Their shows ownership or possession.
People should correct their grammar mistakes.
There shows direction.
There it is! Right there! Do you see the alien right there?

I would also like to thank the op for this thread. It is a service to everyone who may not know, and a gentle reminder to those who do.
edit on 7-12-2010 by Nephalim because: fun with grammar

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
apostrophe,

apostrophe,

apostrophe!

I have heard there is an impending worldwide shortage of the lowly [ ' ]. due to the overuse here on ATS...

Whilst not grammar, per se ( there's another one!!
Latin, and other foreign words and phrases, can be dicey....a moment to check on the InterWebz is usually a polite touch....)

So, as punctuation, the apostrophe, and its** cousin, the comma....both rather important:

**(BTW..."its" is a bit of an exception. The word "its", by itself, is its own 'neuter' pronoun. Just as "hers" and "his" are gender-specific).

"The Panda eats, shoots and leaves." (Very funny book, that is part of the title, on the subject of punctuation. Useful, because of the lighthearted approach):

Sample Introduction page, courtesy Amazon.

Now, back to....the apostrophe?? Except in some VERY rare instances, does NOT denote a plural. (Exception, and it's to taste...some cases ofter ALL caps acronyms, or numerals). Personally, not to my taste, and thus I eschew them (apostrophes) whenever possible.

Remember, simple....if there's an " ,,,'s " after a word, it is either noting a possessive, or a contraction....shortening the words "is" and "has", mostly, when those verbs follow a subject. It is a colloquial speech pattern, that can be translated to written form.

Other contractions make English a "devilish" language, to non-native speakers/writers, as well.
Such as "is not" (isn't), "have not" (haven't), etc (et cetera). (Last one? That tricky Latin again!

All the above are by no means inclusive......

Of course. AND, since this is a multi-national, multi-cultural Board, well....allowance's can...... (tee hee!! Did it there, hope you noticed!!)....allowance's, allowances can be made, and some discretion applied. Still, the Web is a rich resource of reference, so...no (or minimal) excuses?

I hunted the wild and woolly Internetzzzzz.....a bit, and this one seemed fairly simple and easy:

lilt.ilstu.edu...

BTW...we ALL have to rely on the occasional dictionary/spellcheck reference....my biggest problem lately is an affliction of what I now call "DTS" --- (Dyslexic Typing Syndrome). Fingers too fast for their own good.

"I just washed my hands, and can't do a thing with them!"

edit on 7 December 2010 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

I love you soooo much for this.
I've been thinking about making a similar post for a while.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
This is an epic thread.

edit on 7-12-2010 by beholdblight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

There's a handy utility for blocking, and it's easily accessible by any and all: your mind. You do not have to click a link. You do not have to read a post by a person that you find distasteful...and you most certainly do not have to respond to something that you find to be an annoyance.

edit on 7-12-2010 by MzMorbid because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

I to am a Grammer Nazi as I think it's bad that people who's languige is English cannot get there sentances right. Marshall Law is used to make a rouge behave proper but its not the job of the Government to spend it's time sorting there problems out. If your wanting too loose several pounds of course then you could take there advice and stay in side and tighten up all the lose screws and this will have a good affect on the quiet in the building but if their is alot of them your going too find it may take some time.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Oh, that was so mentally painful to read

English is such a bear (not bare) of a language to master.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join