It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grammar Lessons For ATS Members: Join in.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
ATS Members!

So how about a grammar lesson every once in a while? You're not adverse to learning something new are you? All of you open minded folks? Here are a few pointers for today:

The use of to and too: (I see this mistake everywhere on ATS)

TOO means" in addition"---as in, "I like ATS and the Drudge Report TOO." It means "also."

The regular old "to" is easy, right? This word can express a direction or a destination, as in "He walked to the shoe store," or "We read from left to right." It can indicate a recipient: "He gave the slimy frog to her." To can express time: "Ten minutes to seven," or something that goes with or is a part of another object: "Where is the top to this jar?"

And one more for today: (another common mistake around here)

You're and Your

YOUR is posessive, as in..... "Your beer is flat." It describes ownership. "Your post was great!"

YOU'RE is a contraction..."You're crazy for thinking Assange is a CIA operative." Whenever you can say "you are" you can contract it into "you're."

INCORRECT: You're zipper is open.
CORRECT: Your zipper is open.

INCORRECT: You're spelling is horrible.
CORRECT: Your spelling is horrible.

Learn something new everyday, right?

I

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Another common mistake on ATS is "lose" and "loose". When you lose something, it is gone until you find it again. When you loose something, you are setting it free, or making something less tight.

Example: If the collar you put on your dog is too loose, you could lose your dog.

I think most posters just get in too big a hurry.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Hey, as long you can understand the meaning of my words.. I will always make mistakes.

When you are as good to danish grammar I will look at your grammar help

Here are some pointers how you get started.. just say when you master it

# Substantiver * ord der betegner levende væsener, ting og begreber f.eks. menneske, hund, skovl, følelse, udvikling

# Verber * ord der udtrykker en handling, en tilstand eller en forandring, f.eks. løber, føler, bliver

# Pronominer * ord, der står i stedet for ting, person(er) eller en sætning, f.eks. Hvem har set min bog? Jeg kan ikke finde den

# Adjektiver * ord der beskriver eller karakteriserer substantiver eller tilsvarende udtryk, f.eks. høj, lav, grøn, sød, hurtig, økonomisk, abstrakt

# Adverbier * ord der beskriver verber, adjektiver, andre adverbier eller hele sætninger. De betegner sted, tid, måde eller grad

# Præpositioner * ord der placerer handlingen i tid og rum, ud fra noget givet, som altid står efter præpositionen, f.eks. på jorden, under uret, i tiden, gennem det

# Konjunktioner * ord der forbinder to (eller flere) ord, led eller sætninger, f.eks. og, men, eller, da, når, hvis

# Numeralier * ord der angiver antal eller nummer i rækken, f.eks. syv, femten, første, tyvende

# Interjektioner * ord (ofte opfattet blot som lyde) der udtrykker fobavselse, glæde, ærgrelse osv. f.eks. hov, jah, øv

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

I'm not sure how you took that so personally?

Anyway I like to have good grammar myself OP, it's my thing though, it doesn't bother me if other people are into it. I think it boils down to a bit of OCD on my part.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

To & too, your & you're, and lose & loose, are often typos. If they occur more than twice in a post in the same context THEN you can go nazi on them.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

You're not adverse to learning something new are you?

I am not averse to proper grammar; proper grammar does seem to be a cause of adversity for some.

We should have some grammar classes!
edit on 7-12-2010 by MzMorbid because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Thank you for posting the grammar reminders. It's and its are the ones I have to catch myself as I'm flying.

Keep in mind that there is another side to some bad spelling and grammar mistakes. My son is genius and dyslexic. I have to decipher his letters and look past phonetic spelling and those simple grammar mistakes to take in the truly amazing thoughts that he shares on paper. As long as the content is there, it's sometimes worth it to over look the errors.

So thank you again for the OP... but remember not to throw a perfectly good baby out with the bath water

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
My grammar is very terrible and I'm from the United States of America! Please someone help me before it's to late!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
I speak for ATS

No. You do not.
--------------------------
Who and Whom:

Use 'whom' when the answer is 'him':
WHOM do you love? I love HIM. (You wouldn't say, "I love HE.")

Use 'who' when the answer is 'he':
WHO is at the door? HE is at the door. (You wouldn't say, "HIM is at the door.")

Then and Than (Most of the time, for me, this is a typo)

THEN refers to time or the order of things:
I knew that girl in High School. She was really pretty THEN.
First you select the text, THEN you copy it.

THAN refers to a comparison between things:
My dog is much bigger THAN yours.
I like him more THAN her.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Pardon the off topic but I must add:

MARTIAL LAW, not "Marshall" law.

A majority of the time I see that spelled incorrectly.

Drives me nuts!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Thanks man !

I've been using to for both your examples forever. I'll try and think of this the next time I need the words.

I think I got the other one covered. I for one am glad you posted your grammar lesson..

Thanks again !

~ Sinter

I very much like the other examples too. Really how am I supposed to get it right when nobody tells me I'm not doing it right ?

There is another thing why I think it is important to be as correct as possible. I've noticed in my own language that whenever grammar gets neglected, a sentence or word can end up multi interpretable, or even mean something else all together.
Without any form of attention to correct grammar, people will eventually not be able to understand what another man is saying.
That can only lead to trouble of you would ask me.

edit on 12/7/2010 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
youure nAtzi grammmer poliiice , nazit germonty felll lnog time ago ! Go bak to hatler youre jessiwh

really stfu troll , grammer shows memory not intelligence.

I speak for ATS when i say please shove this thread up your arse.

Are you unaware what side of the board you are on???!!!!! It's general chit chat and it doesn't hurt to have someone show the difference. There is no harm in it WHATSOEVER!

YOU are troll. Nobody said you had to read the damn thread.

Trolls are exactly what you are doing.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Nice idea

I have been called a grammar Nazi and spelling Nazi for most of my life. I am not perfect but I get the basics that I learned in grammar school. When I have to use "to" or "too" I still remember the lesson from probably 4th grade where my teacher told us how to remember which one to use.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
It's all in the context.

Example- If I'd a knowed it was you, I'd a retched out the winder and woven at ya.

This is an adenoidal conjunction in context of retching out a window.

Also correct - After I found out Earl'd dropped the egg salad in the bait, I retched out the winder.

Now, here's a question: If you're introducing one of Frankie Valli's backup singers to a friend, do you say, "This is Tommy. He's a Season."
edit on 12/7/10 by MrDesolate because: Spelling.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
You and I = We

You and me = Us

It's = "It is" ... a contraction. "It's a UFO!"

Its = Possesive. "Its occupants look alien."

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

I have been called a grammar Nazi and spelling Nazi for most of my life. I am not perfect but I get the basics that I learned in grammar school. When I have to use "to" or "too" I still remember the lesson from probably 4th grade where my teacher told us how to remember which one to use.

I was corrected a couple of times in a similar thread just a week or two ago. I have to say that just the other day as I was writing a letter, a phrase came to me to use and because of being corrected earlier, I was able to use the right words so as not to embarrass myself.

An occasional slip up is one thing, but to continually use a word or phrase incorrectly to me just means that the person doesn't know any better.

Correct away, and you will probably be thanked just as much as being taken for a grammar Nazi. Hell, we are all ignorant of some things and the chance to actually learn something useful on this site should never be taken for granted.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Thank you!
I need all the help that you can give me

Your great

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Grammar rules for Affect and Effect

edit on 7-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a lot = two words!

"alot" does not exist, it's not a word.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join