It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange arrested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Julian Assange Arrested in London

LONDON — British police arrested WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange Tuesday on a European warrant issued by Sweden, London's Metropolitan Police said.

Swedish prosecutors issued the arrest order for the 39-year-old Australian who is wanted in Sweden on suspicion of committing sexual crimes, which he denies.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk
www.bbc.co.uk
edit on 7-12-2010 by Nammu because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-12-2010 by Nammu because: updating news story

edit on 7-12-2010 by Nammu because: edit not working

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I've just saw on BBC news 24 that Julian Assange has been arrested in London and is being detained. No new online as of yet.

It seems to be the warrant issued from Sweden relating to the sexual assualt case. However on BBC news they have stated that this could also lead to extradition to US, if the US can come up with a law he's broke and officially charge him.

He voluntarily went to speak to police and was detained on arrival.

Will update as more news becomes available.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Wondering if that 'insurance file' will be opened today....

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Yes confirmed : BBC : "Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London"

The founder of Wikileaks, Julian Assange, has been arrested by the Metropolitan Police.
The 39-year-old Australian denies allegations he sexually assaulted two women in Sweden.
Mr Assange's lawyer, Mark Stephens, has criticised the Swedish prosecutors, saying Mr Assange had been offering to meet since August.

It will be interesing to see if they release the key of the encrypted file that contained the remaining 240 000 cables and other stuff ..

Anyway possible that he is not going into custody, if he pay the caution
edit on 7/12/10 by digit78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Pharyax

I really hope so. Hoping there's more juicy pieces of information in there than we've seen so far.

If it's really 'Insurance' then there should be a lot if interesting stuff in there. Although would that actually speed up the US raising charges against him? I think it would.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

ALready a thread on this
abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

The key thing here will be if the US gets involved and tries to force its hand. If Assange is detained purely on the basis of this Swedish sexual assault claim, then assuming that in its self is not a fabrication of some sort, I would not have thought it would do him any good to release the damaging files he apparantly has.
If however it does turn out that the sexual assault is a fabrication, designed to get him into a position where he could be rendered to the US under the current prisoner movement laws, then I would have thought he will release the files, even if doing so makes it worse for him. He seems from what I have heard of him, and seen of him over the years to be quite a determined and single minded person. I hope for his sake, and for the sake of those his information might negatively effect, that the US stay the hell out of this to be honest. Dont get me wrong, I want to know all I can about whats really going on out there. I love new data, for it is chewy and delicious, but the cost of releasing files he himself considers damaging would be astronomical, and staggering in comparison with the pretend damage his previous releases have allegedly done.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Guantanamo, here he goes.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Please continue in the existing thread here.

Thank you.

Thread closed.
edit on 7-12-2010 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join