Wikileaks Founder Julian Assange Arrested in London

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Great news, more and more high-up officials/celebrities are coming out to defend Assange by the day. Who's next you reckon?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunken Drum
reply to post by buddhasystem

Let's say a burglar steals a bunch of stuff from your house, that doesn't belong to him at all. Then, he magnanimously offers for you to come over and collect things of sentimental value, while still keeping the hoard.
Ok, lets say that did happen. What are you going to do about it? You want all your stuff back. You're not going to get it. End of story. Do you accept what you can get, or is your pride more important than the stuff thats on offer?
Of course Julian Assange & WikiLeaks didn't steal anything, they were given it. The USA doesn't like what WL are doing with it? Its just tough tits...
This is the real world, as you have pointed out. What, we should accept that governments dont "play nice" & then be shocked, appalled, offended etc. when ordinary people do the same? Make up your mind. Are you arguing the morality or the practicality? If you want to do both, dont try to confuse them...

Assange and Wikileaks have done nothing that any journalist worth his salt would have done if presented with evidence that was contained in those documents.

It's hilarious that Hilary Clinton and the US government spend so much time chastising and criticising the Chinese over their supression of the internet, yet are doing the very same thing in this case.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Ah , but there you have the difference between my rights as a citizen to privacy, and the responsibility a government has to make sure its people are not lied to , to make sure that thier every action reflects the moral capacity of thier nation, and reflects the empathy, compassion , and righteousness of the best of the people in a nation.
Besides which , most of my every day actions are a matter of record, because almost every street I walk or work on, every place I go to eat, to drink, to relax , or to earn my daily crust, records my presence without my permission in any case. I only ask that I have the same right to examine the activities of my representatives, as they have to monitor my movements. This is not a lot to ask, considering that logicaly speaking, powerful people should have FAR less room for manouvre, than us mere mooks on the street.
My ring piece , to summarise, does not interest people, does not affect thier day to day lives, and above all , is pretty damned gross to look at. However, the staggering billions spent on counter terror measures, intelligence opperations, the care and support of injured soldiers, the refitting and aquisition of new tech, new armour, new weapons and rounds, does affect a nations ability to function, and does not directly improve the lives of the citizenry. An effective border defense initiative would , and so would effective domestic intelligence, but in order to prove the legitimacy of thier foreign policy , the US and UK government should be far more transparent about how they come to the descisions they make, and should not be allowed to make a choice which goes against the principles of thier citizens AND they should be scrutinised day and night to ensure that particular ideal is adhered to with vigour and almost fanaticism. Its the only way to avoid dishonouring otherwise wonderful nations like America and Britain.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Is someone able to double check this news ?

Crikey.com.au (Australian independent journalism) - Assange accuser may have ceased co-operating

Anna Ardin, one of the two complainants in the rape and sexual assault case against WikiLeaks editor-in-chief Julian Assange, has left Sweden, and may have ceased actively co-operating with the Swedish prosecution service and her own lawyer, sources in Sweden told Crikey today.

Just see it from this source via twitter, so don't keep it for 100% true, right now.
edit on 9/12/10 by digit78 because: add Crikey name

AddOn : By the way, many tweets that this account : twitter.com... is the real twitter account of this girl "Anna Ardin". Same thing we need double check that . No activity from 23 hours. And her last tweet in Swedish say something like "CIA agent, rabid feminist / Muslim lover, a Christian fundamentalist, flat & fatally in love with a man, can you even be all the time?"
edit on 9/12/10 by digit78 because: add the twitter account

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

My ring piece , to summarise, does not interest people, does not affect thier day to day lives, and above all , is pretty damned gross to look at.

Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh!

Totally agree though that it's a bit hypocritical of the US and UK governments to tell other governments how to act, when working under a veil of secrecy. Yes, some secrecy is required, in order to protect under cover operatives etc, but the mundane stuff that's been coming from these cables should not be covered up IMO.

Both governments need more transparrency.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Jon Faine (ABC Radio) speaks to Noam Chomsky on Wikileaks and the arrest of Julian Assange!

Direct download link to the interview below. Very interesting!

Noam Chomsky Interview

IRM

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Jut calling him a tool becaue he is one.

He will sit a military brig for the rest of his life period.

He betrayed his country.

If this guy was up on a hill and you told him as your commanding officer. If the enemy charges over that hill light them up with the 60cal.

And he sits and waits.

When little kids come over the hills with guns in their hands what should he due.

Light them up or let them advance.

He diobeyed a direct order not to read or copy or redistirbute what he saw period.

He manning let the enemy walk right up on you and now your dead. Period

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Tholidor

Sorry for my mispelling, and mommy doesn't live with me I bought her a house about 3 miles down the road from me so I can take care of her and shovel her snow out if need be.. I live with my wife and children. I bought this house with my hard work.

Just because someone misspells a word doesn't mean the are a kid. I'm 39 years old and have my masters in electronic engineering.

So shutty before I get way off topic.

Julian was arrested because he released top secret and secret information.

If I were to lets say release some specifications to some equipment. Like frequncy and dwell time now your getting into classified/secret/topc secret. And yes you would get a knock and have the honor of going through the ringer and ruin your life. And yes you would go to jail. Period...

Julian released classified and secret information which is detrimental to the US period. The US sent an army of tech savi spies to investigate what was taken and what he has for information. They know what he has. Now lets see if the powers in control have him shut down the web..

The POTUS has the capabilites and the authorizathion to do it.

Go ahead and shut it down then blame it on the terrorist. That's what I would do. Who is going to question it. I guess they need to wait until after Christmas though. We could't lose out on the money'$.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by digit78

If what Anon has been doing to paypal, visa etc is anything to go by, this woman must be putting up with hell from pro Assange supporters. Especially considering the absolute triviality of the accusations.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

He should have gone through the proper channels. IG
Chain of command.

If you still dont get to someone than you tell the commanding officer you want to be relived of your duties becasue you cannot handle the truth and the information.

This is part of the problem of letting kids who are in their 20's be responsible for this type of information.

You should have to go through all types of counter esp classes and counter intellgence and the sort then prove that you are worthy..

I believe this kid was just that a little wooosy he could not handle seeing that kind of information. He needed to tell someone that some pissed in you coffee. Maybe you were supposed to drink that coffe with piss for a reason.

If a crime was committed then let the criminal pay the price.

Loose lips sink ships.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

Let me put it in your perspective..

I'm supprised this guy is still alive and didn't have an accident. I believe he did the right thing as he did not sign and agreement to secrecy he is just reporting. Fine. ok with that.

If your cheating on your wife and I rat you out am I a hero or a rat.

In your book i'm a rat but the ladies may call me a hero.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by vkturbo

Im still on the fence myself when it comes to this whole Wikileaks saga, but i managed to find the video and channel 4 news is the best news over here not as many puppet strings attached as the Bbc, but anyway heres the video please let me know what you guys think thanks

sorry guys i dont have a clue how to inbed videos so i will just post the link

www.channel4.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RichieScott1

Ok I will give you innocent untill proven guilty in a us court of law.

Under the UCMJ your guilty until proven innocent.

You just dont get take off a listen post as you log top secret information.

This kid is in deep #. His only saving grace is he is singing like a canary.

That is why they have taken him out of the media spot light. He sits quietly in his cell waitng for his chow and his phone call to mommy and daddy.

I have workep KP before and I can only imagine what this kid is eating.
Act like a traitor get fed like a traitor.

You think people are showing this kid sympathy.

Give me a break.

Hey manning how does my azz taste.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

Yes so he is guilty..

I bet when he gets the ACLU backing him he is going to claim he was tortured. Someone set the clock timer until he calims he was waterboarded or abused.

Listen kid if I were you I would take it like a man. You are going to be punished for the rest of your life.

Is that what you really wanted.

Now look your in prison for life and they are out popping crystal.

Glad you got your point across.

The only job you will ever get if you get out is.

Excuse me sir did you want fries with that.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
ATS, I saw this picture drawn by Steve Bell on the subject of these sexual assault allegations, and I thought of you.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by The Ghost Who Walks

Assange and Wikileaks have done nothing that any journalist worth his salt would have done if presented with evidence that was contained in those documents.

Wrong. Journalists have a code of ethics. They do not , for example, report information unless it can be verified by multiple sources. It is not clear if WikiLeaks has fully researched the credibility of its sources. Furthermore, journalists weigh the public's "right to know" against other parties' "right to privacy" and legitimate concerns for national security. Exposing corruption or illegal activities is in the public's best interests and is fair game. Indiscriminately publicizing routine confidential communications is not. When WikiLeaks leaked the illegal rendition documents it was serving the public interest; when it publicized unflattering comments made by American diplomats about world leaders, it was undermining international understanding.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

So if proof were found that the President of the United States Of America was actualy working for a banking cartel, promoting the sale of drugs to minor in the US and abroad, and that he was siphoning money out of the US economy to pay for Afghanistani terror campaigns around the world, to give the US an excuse to move into the East and actualy set up an American Empire, you would say (even though its utterly unconstitutional (yes I read the thing)) that anyone revealing that to the public would be a traitor to his people, EVEN if it turned out that the people would not benifit, but be starved and flogged to make this nightmare real?
Im trying to figure where you personaly draw the line of "needing to know" .

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
You can still donate to Wikileaks using the Swedish service Flattr.

They won't stop any donations until there is a conviction of Wikileaks being illegal ...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

Funniest thing in a long time. Suppose these leaks were to go through chain of command. What would happen? Nothing, zero, zip. It's not like the chain of command would like to reveal to the world who is spying for the US, who wan't Iran attacked, illegal orders by Hillary etc. Funny thought though

[Edit to add]
This is really hilarious:

Originally posted by Rocky Black

Julian was arrested because he released top secret and secret information.

edit on 9/12/2010 by PsykoOps because: added

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Condi whips WikiLeaks. Condoleezza Rice politically dominates Julian Assange. (YouTube)

December 3, 2010. Condoleezza Rice replies to a question by Katie Couric and one from a member of a studio audience about WikiLeaks.

Condoleezza Rice
I think what has happened is a crime. It is up to the Justice Department to figure out exactly what crime it is but it's got to be prosecuted and punished or it's going to keep happening and I hope the penalty is really severe because maybe that will deter this kind of behaviour.

The United States cannot exist in a world where we can't share information within the government with the expectation that is somehow going to end up on the front pages of newspapers. You can't do business that way. So I hope it is prosecuted and prosecuted severely.

The event was organised by the Council on Foreign Relation for their HBO History Makers Series.

Wikileaks - Heroes, Villains, Other?

My answer "Villains", right now, primarily because Condoleezza Rice as my choice for world leader says so.

The Independent: WikiLeaks vs The Machine

If, as the Independent says, this is a fight between WikiLeaks and "The Machine", I, for one, am siding with the machine.

I, at least, know the value of discipline and loyalty to the leaders of the free world, whereas it seems Assange and WikiLeaks want to make the headlines irrespective of outcome - sometimes doing good, sometimes risking danger to others.

WikiLeaks is too anarchic right now and Condi should be supported as and when she decides to crack the whip on them.

As Condoleezza Rice, who is, in my opinion anyway, the leader of the free world, precisely promotes freedom and human dignity for all the people in the world therefore WikiLeaks should be more careful to take their lead from her.

I think WikiLeaks needs a new management ethos and organisation hierarchy which works with Condi and her staff at the US State Department (or ex-staff but you know what I mean).

If Assange and WikiLeaks come to order, give an undertaking to toe the line and generally work with "the machine" then maybe Condi will be less severe in the punishments she is looking for.

Generally it is the best advice to appease Condi and give her what she is asking for, most times anyway. The "New World Order" is not an Imperial dictatorship but the world does need a president and it should be Condi, not Assange.

new topics
top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join