It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks Founder Julian Assange Arrested in London

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Please... I'm not going to chew it up for you, how the enemy may want to sabotage underwater cables and vital mineral extraction facilities...

Do they teach alot of underwater demolition in islamic training camps?

Maybe not a lot, but

PALESTINIANS in scuba gear died during an attack on an Israeli beach yesterday.
Hamas gunmen emerged from the Mediterranean and fired at a settlement in the Gaza Strip Gaza Strip

or

Israel's navy has shot and killed four Palestinians wearing diving gear off the Gaza coast, officials say.

or

The authorities are now afraid that there may be some divers that intend to attack commercial dive boats and maybe even fishing boats.. Last year, we were not allowed to take our boats out so we had to settle for shore dives..

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Wow, interesting. But didn't all that happen before the cables were released? Also, I didn't see any successful attacks in the info you posted. So, they're obviously not great at it. And again, if they did hit some underwater cable, it would stimulate the economy, because an American company would get the contract to fix it. Instead of making up fake problems to fix on the roads and jam up traffic, they would have something legitimate to take our tax dollars to fix. I don't see that as being in our enemies interests...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Check this out:

WikiLeaks has published a secret U.S. diplomatic cable listing places the United States considers vital to its national security, prompting criticism that the website is inviting terrorist attacks on American interests.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said the disclosure "gives a group like al Qaeda a targeting list." The sites are included in a lengthy cable the State Department sent in February 2009 to its posts around the world, asking American diplomats to identify installations overseas "whose loss could critically impact the public health, economic security, and/or national and homeland security of the United States."

The diplomats identified dozens of places on every continent, including mines, manufacturing complexes, ports and research establishments. CNN is not publishing specific details from the list, which refers to pipelines and undersea telecommunications cables as well as the location of minerals or chemicals critical to U.S. industry.

If this is not helping and abating the enemies of the US, I don't know what is.

So because a Department spokesman made the claim, it must be true? Come on. One example we've see as of late is the claim that Iran bought 19 missiles from North Korea. Now, had the cable not been released, the misinformation contained in the cables could have been allowed to reach a point where we saw another Iraq WMD claim equivalent.

Because the cable was leaked, experts were allowed to begin connecting the dots. When they did so, they found that the US claim was without evidence. There was nothing whatsoever to suggest this sale took place. Lives just may have been saved. Wars avoided. All because more eyes were on the ball making it less likely to be dropped.

This is checks and balances at work. Good can come from this.
edit on 7-12-2010 by Cablespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Cablespider

Well said cable spider. Exactly why we should always have had access to this information in the first place wouldnt you agree?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Wow, interesting. But didn't all that happen before the cables were released?

What does it matter? Capability of some sort is out there...

Also, I didn't see any successful attacks in the info you posted.

On many occasions, terrorists accidentally blew themselves up while setting IEDs. This does not mean in any way that IED are not dangerous.

Remember the London subway bombings?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Cant really find if this has been posted yet.

Judge Denies Bail

LONDON – A British judge sent Julian Assange to jail on Tuesday, denying bail to the WikiLeaks founder after Assange vowed to fight efforts to be extradited to Sweden in a sex-crimes investigation.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Yes, but that shows that our enemies are in fact more interested in blowing up civilians in their everyday lives, than blowing up Dick Cheney's alpaca farm. That only goes to show those cables are really of no significance, nor danger to us. And again, they were outdated.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Yes, but that shows that our enemies are in fact more interested in blowing up civilians in their everyday lives, than blowing up Dick Cheney's alpaca farm.

USS Cole? The Pentagon? Embassy in Kenya?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

The London UNDERGROUND bombings , where the result of months and months of careful planning, including an extensive period where the tube stations were cased out by various people in the terror net. No one gave them the idea, and they didnt read it as the result of a breakdown of security protocol. As already clearly stated, removing infrastructure of a nations continuance is NOT what terror groups are about. They aim at the most innocent, the most vunerable, and the most numbers, and those numbers are always to be found at travel terminals, shopping centres, and city locations of that nature.
Al Qaeda is not going to blow up an insulin production plant, nor go all the way to Australia to take out the only supply of cobra Anti Venom, that the US can get at in a hurry.
The terrorists who do target Britain and the US are aiming at its people , not at its governments military. I guess thats ok though cos coallition forces dont seem to make that distinction to well either... we wouldnt know a damn thing about that if it wasnt for Wikileaks either mind you !

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I am with you on this,the good old days, but I feel I must point out,in my opinion, JFK's Opening remarks on the press /media and JFK said.

Mr. Chairman, ladies and gentlemen: I appreciate very much your generous invitation to be here tonight. You bear heavy responsibilities these days and an article I read some time ago reminded me of how particularly heavily the burdens of present day events bear upon your profession.

Heavy responsibility he said, Burden he said.
Seems Julian is the first Journalist to truly bear the burden, the torch of which JFK asked all journalists to bear.
I further quote and JFK said

My topic tonight is a more sober one of concern to publishers as well as editors.
I want to talk about our common responsibilities in the face of a common danger. The events of recent weeks may have helped to illuminate that challenge for some; but the dimensions of its threat have loomed large on the horizon for many years. Whatever our hopes may be for the future--for reducing this threat or living with it--there is no escaping either the gravity or the totality of its challenge to our survival and to our security--a challenge that confronts us in unaccustomed ways in every sphere of human activity. This deadly challenge imposes upon our society two requirements of direct concern both to the press and to the President--two requirements that may seem almost contradictory in tone, but which must be reconciled and fulfilled if we are to meet this national peril. I refer, first, to the need for a far greater public information; and, second, to the need for far greater official secrecy.

HE said, need for a far greater public information
HE said need for far greater official secrecy.
Both parties have failed miserably. ALL He asked was to be RESPONSIBLE, They couldn't do it.
Now A REAL man, one who bears the heat from the torch stands up, bears the RESPONSIBILITY, asked of HIM. Anything released so far has hurt, no one but egos and eyebrows. Enough outta me
Kudos to you Super MOD great quote from his speech.
IF every journalist and every government official listened to that speech with their coffee every morning like the National Anthem of their Responsibilities, we wouldn't be in the Global melt down mess we are in.Mister

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Yes, but that shows that our enemies are in fact more interested in blowing up civilians in their everyday lives, than blowing up Dick Cheney's alpaca farm.

I'm pretty sure they didn't require a leaked memo to know where the Pentagon is..

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

No, in fact I think they call it Google Earth these days unless I miss my mark !
2nd Line !

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
The terrorists who do target Britain and the US are aiming at its people , not at its governments military.

Attack on USS Cole
Attack on the CIA operatives with IED by a turncoat informant
Lone wolf attack - shooting at the Texas base

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

reply to post by Cablespider

Well said cable spider. Exactly why we should always have had access to this information in the first place wouldnt you agree?

I do but only to a certain extent. Some information is just not suitable for the general audience. But there has to be a system put in place thats assures us our employees are performing as expected. We must demand accountability from the managers we hired to tend the shop. Put your hand in the till, and you're out of here. I'm looking at the leaks as a reorganization of sorts. An audit of their performance over the years.

Just like employees that think twice about stealing because the boss is looking over their back, we need to be looking over the back of the government. Psychological deterrence goes a long way in preventing all kinds of crap. Responsible transparency is that next step.

Edit: Isn't the press supposed to be that deterrent? Well, WL has now taken their place. They are the HR Manager for The People.
edit on 7-12-2010 by Cablespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

The London UNDERGROUND bombings

I simply argued that occasional failures of IEDs don't mean they aren't deadly. You took a whole different angle unrelated to this thesis.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Well as accurate as your assertions about the incidents you mentioned may be, they are exceptional, beacuse the great majority of the action taken by terrorists, if our governments are to be belived, are against the regular people , out for a stroll in the centre of town, buying a morning paper, a cup of coffee on the way to work, to the shops, to thier dentists and doctors. Its the only reason we are at war with the terrorists! If it were the case that infrastructural areas, like production plants that feed the military , or the government the stuff of thier continued existance, then protecting the nation would be a hell of a lot EASIER than it is.
But its just not the case, because the government have been telling us for years, havent they , that terrorists dont want to fight our nation, they want to kill our people in thier thousands.... unless that too is all a lie, and we have been blowing the hell out of a bunch of shepherds and farmers for no damned reason for ten years?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

If u havent noticed the US controls alot in this world, u think sweden has the balls to tell US...No...i doubt it

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

All well known targets. None of those were secret. Again, it just proves that our enemies have no shortage of targets, and that wikileaks isn't providing them with anything that isn't readily available with a little research. I'd be more than willing to bet that none of the (outdated) facilities that were leaked, will be attacked. It's just BS propaganda, anytime our government doesn't get what it wants, it starts spewing out that we're in terrible danger.
edit on 7-12-2010 by 27jd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

All well known targets. None of those were secret.

....and now, the previously secret targets are no longer secret, so our adversaries can start operational planning.

Swell, innit?

Wake up.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Do you think for one minuite that a) Al Qaeda , big scary terror network supposedly containing thousands of sleeper cells and what not, do not have the tools to know these targets already and b) that counter intelligence operatives on the western side do not already know who would be striking and where if it came down to it ?
You seem to believe that the terrorists would be no threat to these places without these leaks! IF THATS THE CASE WHO ARE WE REALLY FIGHTING? They are no enemy worth fighting if they need this kind of help anyway ! What are you saying exaclty ? Seems to me that if the enemy are that pathetic that they cant pick a helpful target, without the help of leaks and so on, that they would be impotent and incapable of harming the west ! What ? Well then why are we elbow deep in dead children, women, journalists, as well as a token few AK weilding loonies? Is this war just some sham to hold our attention while a bunch of hamfisted corperate entities get into Afghanistan and Iraq to eventualy pick up the pieces? Well wouldnt that be a stinger if it came out.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join