It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks Founder Julian Assange Arrested in London

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bicent76
reply to post by masqua

In general secrecy is not good for growth, yet we are talking about diplomacy, we are talking about saving lives in making deals that may not make sense to conventional wisdom for all. We are not discussing politicians stealing tax payers money to pay for hookers or what have you, and covering it up... Its pretty black and white no broad strokes here it what is right and wrong and with wiki leaks actions towards diplomatic aspects of our country with others. Quite frankly we do not need to know the aspects of how we win over relationships that may threaten our lives each and everyday. We do not need to read nor does the world need to see the art in eloquence of intelligence it takes people to maintain stability in this world. Yet I totally understand the context of opinion yet at the same time I don't see anything good when comes to secrecy with wiki leaks and citizens of the WORLD, if anything their will be even more secrecy, due to mistrust.
edit on 7-12-2010 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

Mistrust arises not from only secrecy, but dishonesty as well. Our elected officials in the USA rather have us worried about the shooting down the street than the people who control policy and play with billions of lives. It's evident that bad science and bad business will rape us all in varying degrees, but we need to think about the time we are living in, since really we haven't come as far intellectually or morally as we have technologically.

What I expect to happen in Washington might be nothing more than a miracle, but I expect them to think as individuals who have values, and some of those may need reevaluation.
edit on 7-12-2010 by smthngmssnghr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by buddhasystem

The comparison is utterly invalid, since neither Assange nor Wikileaks are responsible for the removal of this data that they share from its original location, nor its arrival at their door.

I didn't think I'd have to do it, but let me think this through for you:

a thief removes your property from you apartment and decides to donate it to Assange. Assange didn't take part in the act of burglary but now he's an accomplice because he'll do with your belongings as he himself sees fit. He's an accomplice and co-conspirator.

They are merely a place where people who believe that the world has a right to know what they know, can make that happen.

I don't believe in anyone's right to know commercial secrets of Boeing, or medical records of Mrs Edwards, or what informants in Afghanistan had to say about the chief of security (because that clearly puts them in danger). And the list goes on. No Sir, you are not more entitled to any of that than you are to a ride in a chocolate limo in a company of supermodels.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Check this out:

WikiLeaks has published a secret U.S. diplomatic cable listing places the United States considers vital to its national security, prompting criticism that the website is inviting terrorist attacks on American interests.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said the disclosure "gives a group like al Qaeda a targeting list." The sites are included in a lengthy cable the State Department sent in February 2009 to its posts around the world, asking American diplomats to identify installations overseas "whose loss could critically impact the public health, economic security, and/or national and homeland security of the United States."

The diplomats identified dozens of places on every continent, including mines, manufacturing complexes, ports and research establishments. CNN is not publishing specific details from the list, which refers to pipelines and undersea telecommunications cables as well as the location of minerals or chemicals critical to U.S. industry.

If this is not helping and abating the enemies of the US, I don't know what is.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by TrueBrit
He has catagoricaly requested that a US representative, come to the Wikileaks headquaters and go through the planned releases, to see if there is anything more that could be done to remove names, and other information which could lead to the deaths of either american operatives, spies, military units and so on.

I see. How nice. Let's say a burglar steals a bunch of stuff from your house, that doesn't belong to him at all. Then, he magnanimously offers for you to come over and collect things of sentimental value, while still keeping the hoard.

No. More like: Lets say a burglar steals a bunch of stuff from your house, that doesn't belong to him at all. Then he takes your stuff to the Pawn Shop and hocks it all. While calling all the pawn shops to see if your items have shown up, you find the shop where your stuff was sold. Now you go to the Pawn Shop to get your stuff back, but when he asks you to come over and verify that this stuff belongs to you, you tell him "Yes! but Im gonna not gonna take it back, Im just gonna call the cops and have them arrest you! Who cares about the guy who actually stole them, YOU have them in your possession, therefore you are to blame."

If you are gonna use analogies, at least get it right.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

cool story bro, you care to explain? You going to expand on these mystery "techs" you talk of?

Are they tapping your phones/connection?

or

are they tapping your mind? What braught you to this conclusion.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

Quit feeding the crazies

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Look a little further into it, that's outdated info and pretty much readily availabe to somebody who did some digging. And who is going to use that against us? Give us a scenario, in which a terrorist is going to make it past the security at any facility that truly is vital to our interests? They usually hire mercs, or even convince their buddies in the government to station troops around their vital interests. The terrorists we're all so afraid of, would have a much easier time blowing themselves up at a busy shopping mall before Christmas, than they would attacking a vital facility. And it would do alot more damage to our country as well. But they don't, because the truth is, there really isn't as many people willing to blow themselves up as our lying ass government will have us believe.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

a thief removes your property from you apartment and decides to donate it to Assange. Assange didn't take part in the act of burglary but now he's an accomplice because he'll do with your belongings as he himself sees fit. He's an accomplice and co-conspirator.

It's kind of like finding something you(American people) never knew we owned.

Americans allow the government to do what it does, therefore...we own the cables and it's nice to see what my employees in Washington have been up to.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by gringoboy
Assange is assandwiched away from a lassagne or being assanginated,is he his worst own enemy ,this is totally amusing to watch ,i mean more reason for internet policies banning provocative agendas.Trust me this name is a headliner for any journo !Well done the net will be closed shortly for national security reasons.Enough said.

What do you suggest?

A totalitarian state, where the beautiful leader is as god?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

It's kind of like finding something you(American people) never knew we owned.

Americans allow the government to do what it does, therefore...we own the cables and it's nice to see what my employees in Washington have been up to.

Exactly! My tax dollars - MY CABLES

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Look a little further into it, that's outdated info and pretty much readily availabe to somebody who did some digging. And who is going to use that against us?

That's kind of an argument I heard once from an Israeli person, about the lands they occupy -- he said "nobody wanted these lands in the first place". Duh.

Give us a scenario, in which a terrorist is going to make it past the security at any facility that truly is vital to our interests?

Please... I'm not going to chew it up for you, how the enemy may want to sabotage underwater cables and vital mineral extraction facilities...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Check this out:

WikiLeaks has published a secret U.S. diplomatic cable listing places the United States considers vital to its national security, prompting criticism that the website is inviting terrorist attacks on American interests.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said the disclosure "gives a group like al Qaeda a targeting list." The sites are included in a lengthy cable the State Department sent in February 2009 to its posts around the world, asking American diplomats to identify installations overseas "whose loss could critically impact the public health, economic security, and/or national and homeland security of the United States."

The diplomats identified dozens of places on every continent, including mines, manufacturing complexes, ports and research establishments. CNN is not publishing specific details from the list, which refers to pipelines and undersea telecommunications cables as well as the location of minerals or chemicals critical to U.S. industry.

Check out what? The US is so gullible that they would allow info on these to go through wires that anyone can access on their network? I'd say they planned it, so as to have an excuse later to bring down the hatchet. Why would they keep the info there available to any party or person if it was vital information? How secure was it really.. From what I heard.. there were 2.5 million others who had access to this information and more. It was an open network to all employed by the government. And those employed are your everyday Jack and Jill who could use that info any way they wish. So to pin it on Wicki is an agenda you and a very few wish to spread in your personal goals.

Why do I not hear from you about how they failed in keeping it secure and putting security procedures in place to prevent this information going out. Where are the complaints and resignations of those who allowed such a shabby system to be implemented? Why are some Fed employees not getting fired.. but are still garnishing the cash for their stupidity and are allowed to keep their jobs? No.. none.. of course not. That would make things a tad more difficult wouldn't it.. it would actually mean you or others would need to take it up with the government as to why THEY failed.
edit on 7-12-2010 by Willbert because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by thenewboy

I asked for proof. Not someone else opinion on the matter.
for you.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Come on buddasystem...keep up! The bloody 'rape' charge is a fallacy, a sham. It's *not* rape as we know it Jim!
It is however, engaging in *consensual* sexual intercourse (that means sex was agreed to by both parties..people) while committing the *heinous* crime of not ensuring his *condom* remained satisfactorily in place.

Now, if you think your mates in the Taliban will be interested in those charges, why don't you go tell them eh?

edit on 7/12/2010 by spikey because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/12/2010 by spikey because: typos

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Please... I'm not going to chew it up for you, how the enemy may want to sabotage underwater cables and vital mineral extraction facilities...

Do they teach alot of underwater demolition in islamic training camps? I thought they mostly played on the monkey bars and shot at non-moving targets with their AK's. And if they did hit a cable, what then? Somebody loses a phone connection until a company is contracted with tax money to repair it? I don't think that would strike fear into the hearts of Americans, so the terrorists are probably not interested. Same goes for a mine. We blow them up all the time. The minerals would remain, and nobody would be scared. Again, not in the interest of our enemies. They want to kill civilians, and nobody needs wikileaks to know where they are.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Well thats your opinion and you are welcome to it, but my attitude to this is simple. Just now, the government of my country are charging me through the nose for pretty much everything including walking talking, breathing, urinating, excreting eating, smoking and drinking. I do not see a single penny of my tax pounds reflected in public service improvements. If anything, I see rights being erroded, and services being slashed and in some cases utterly scrapped. I also see a huge portion of my fellow taxpayers cash, being diverted to military use, use which I did not personaly advocate, or agree with, and military use whose sole purpose is to support the US in actions which I deem utterly beyond the bounds of moral acceptability .
Therefore if I can feel Im getting something back from the draining forces of world government , then I bloody well will, and I will thank the person who makes that happen, and utterly support that person where and when I can. Further more, I will give the finger to any eccono-fascist who tells me I dont deserve it.
The American public deserve , by right, to know what thier government is doing, and I as a British citizen, feel entitled to any information which pertains to or affects my nations military , diplomatic corps, and politicians. The filthy suit wearing money magnets that WE employ in Britain to do the taxpayers work, have no right to hide ANYTHING from us, because we make thier lives, thier amazing fantastic wonderful lives, possible. Without us, they would just be overly talkative men, who sit chatting while the rest of us earn our crust honourably, with sweat and effort and callouses on our hands. If we are to be lied to , things hidden from our sight purely because the government know we would DESTROY them if we heard of them, then damn right I have a right to know, and I will excersize that right. It is our right as citizens of the western world , to dictate to our representatives, how they are to behave, what they are and are not to do , and not for them to merely decide to keep quiet the activities they partake in while representing us, that they know will make us angry enough to kill them all.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Update: WikiLeaks has no current plans to release encryption code for remaining U.S. cables, sources tell Guardian http://(link tracking not allowed)/g1IP0w

With wikileaks in the jurisdiction of the government along with Assange "detained", wikileaks will either become the government psy-ops ppl are already calling or it will become abandoned and unmaintained... the government got its way like it always does though. This is practically violating freedom of speech but we obviously can't say that since the government fabricated some other reason to charge Assange ie. rape & sexual charges... too bad his defeat is in vain since you guys are too pussy to do anything about this. Looks like the world will go into a downward spiral until some later generation will STAND UP FOR THEMSELVES since you guys wont

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Willbert
Check out what? The US is so gullible that they would allow info on these to go through wires that anyone can access on their network?

Any person with half-decent reading comprehension skills would notice the words "secret cable" in the post. How you can construe that everybody and their grandma have access to these, is beyond me.

It was an open network to all employed by the government. And those employed are your everyday Jack and Jill who could use that info any way they wish.

Sure, and there are plenty of military personnel that share info among themselves which nobody else has any business knowing about.

Why do I not hear from you about how they failed in keeping it secure

Because that b@stard Manning, the weak link.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by freesprite

too bad his defeat is in vain since you guys are too pussy to do anything about this. Looks like the world will go into a downward spiral until some later generation will STAND UP FOR THEMSELVES since you guys wont

Good point, but what are YOU doing about it?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Check this out:

I find most comments about this particular cable very suspect.. any number of those listed are foreign companies in allied counties.. the bit I find highly suspect is that there always appears to be no concern shown for effect of an attack on Americas allies, or the loss of life American allies might suffer, but rather the loss to America of some commodity.

That alone is very telling and leaves me wondering if we really are Americas allies..
edit on 7/12/10 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join