It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Wikileaks Founder Julian Assange Arrested in London

page: 16
139
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Cablespider
 


Seems they already are. And I think the term that applies to them is jingoism. IMO, they have no business here in the U.S.A., where the government is supposed to serve the people. They would be better off jumping on a time machine and living in the former USSR.




posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective1

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by Techy
reply to post by buddhasystem
 


Why don't you like what he did? If the Americans hadn't been covering stuff up in the first place, there would be nothing to release.


Puh-leeeze.... Saying that diplomatic communications should be public domain makes about as much sense as saying that we should do away with curtains so that neighbors can see into each other bedrooms.


Not really, one is about personal privacy and the other is about national and international politics.
A GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE OPEN TO ALL!
Everybody needs to know what his or her country is doing, the world should know what every government is doing. Only then can there be trust between people and government, governments and governments, countries and countries and people and people.
So no it is not the same.


Quick rebuttal that will make you think differently.

Should the government post exactly where all missile facilities are around the world?
Should the government post n the internet their passwords to all their databases so everyone can log in?
Should the government list the names, addresses, and pictures of every single agent going in bad areas to see whats going on with hostile regimes?

secrets are often kept for a reason that has no business in the public environment..part of the constitution of the united states of america requires government to protect us from enemies, both foreign and domestic. a stupidly open society would immediately be overrun and destroyed. The world is not a hippy commune where there is only 1 bad guy.



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cablespider
reply to post by theroosterkills
 


He's been charged with rape...not convicted of it. Until that point, he's innocent until proven guilty.

Why is this such a hard concept to grasp for some?


Because he's not in America, not every country believes in innocent until proven guilty...people on this board should remember that.



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by thenewboy
This might be the greatest day in my life with this basterd in jail

what a sad life...

i am so happy this man has molested and raped women he has broken so many laws and thinks he can get away with it next time he should be lined up in front of a fireing squad.


Agreed...anyone whom doesn't use a condom should be shot.
I do assume btw you have always used protection during your encounters there, boy...
-cocks gun and eyes you suspiciously-



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Why should a rapist and child molestion be free to run the streets he has no other place to hide. hopefully he will be locked up for a good amount of time if they can they should execute him.



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by thenewboy
This might be the greatest day in my life with this basterd in jail i am so happy this man has molested and raped women he has broken so many laws and thinks he can get away with it next time he should be lined up in front of a fireing squad.


Oh get real. You know absolutely nothing about what he has or hasn't done, nothing has been proved, and, as it happened, 'rape' in this case is not wearing a condom. He really should be shot for that....

So get your facts right before you get all hot-headed and start accusing an innocent man and trying to make out you know all the facts.



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective1
Not really, one is about personal privacy and the other is about national and international politics.
A GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE OPEN TO ALL!
Everybody needs to know what his or her country is doing, the world should know what every government is doing. Only then can there be trust between people and government, governments and governments, countries and countries and people and people.
So no it is not the same.


It doesn't get more naive than that...

If corporation "A" has a business plan, which would eventually put it at an advantage to its competitor "B", such business plan is a guarded secret. The government, being an organization with all sorts of plans and connections, has the reason and the right to keep these secret. On a more mundane level, if an ambassador "XYZ" from country "ABC" is not the brightest knife in the drawer, this may be remarked in a private cable, but as a matter of decorum should not really be made a public announcement. It's all just common sense, but Assange won't have any of that.



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by Subjective1

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by Techy
reply to post by buddhasystem
 


Why don't you like what he did? If the Americans hadn't been covering stuff up in the first place, there would be nothing to release.


Puh-leeeze.... Saying that diplomatic communications should be public domain makes about as much sense as saying that we should do away with curtains so that neighbors can see into each other bedrooms.


Not really, one is about personal privacy and the other is about national and international politics.
A GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE OPEN TO ALL!
Everybody needs to know what his or her country is doing, the world should know what every government is doing. Only then can there be trust between people and government, governments and governments, countries and countries and people and people.
So no it is not the same.


Quick rebuttal that will make you think differently.

Should the government post exactly where all missile facilities are around the world?
Should the government post n the internet their passwords to all their databases so everyone can log in?
Should the government list the names, addresses, and pictures of every single agent going in bad areas to see whats going on with hostile regimes?

secrets are often kept for a reason that has no business in the public environment..part of the constitution of the united states of america requires government to protect us from enemies, both foreign and domestic. a stupidly open society would immediately be overrun and destroyed. The world is not a hippy commune where there is only 1 bad guy.


First of all there shouldn't even be a need for thgose things, but ok that is an ideal world i am talking about and we don't live in an ideal world.
But still my answer is yeas, if governments want to work together and make this world a better place, like the say the want to do then the should.
In politics there shouldn't be secrets, we are talking about the fate of the #ing world man!
You really want to fudge it up because you need toe keep secrets from eachother?
If your answer is yes on that, then that would be the saddest thing I have read online this week..



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by thenewboy
Why should a rapist and child molestion be free to run the streets he has no other place to hide. hopefully he will be locked up for a good amount of time if they can they should execute him.


Prove to me your not a child molestor...
there is no charge against him for child molestation...and just because you said it, doesn't make it fact.



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX
 


While I'm not foolish enough to believe that we should know everything, American secrecy is at an astounding level, and this was needed. The government is supposed to defend this country, but they are also supposed to preserve liberty and abide by the Constitution. The arguments they use are always for consolidation of power, secrecy, and the erosion of individual liberties. Of course we shouldn't know missile passwords, but we should know how our leaders are conducting themselves and what they are ordering in the name of the American people.
edit on 7-12-2010 by MGriff because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Just in:



This just in: sources are telling the Guardian that Julian Assange is now being held in the remand wing of Wandsworth Prison in London. (This is unconfirmed.)


Source with images of the prison:
www.guardian.co.uk - wikileaks us embassy cables live updates



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by Subjective1
Not really, one is about personal privacy and the other is about national and international politics.
A GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE OPEN TO ALL!
Everybody needs to know what his or her country is doing, the world should know what every government is doing. Only then can there be trust between people and government, governments and governments, countries and countries and people and people.
So no it is not the same.


It doesn't get more naive than that...

If corporation "A" has a business plan, which would eventually put it at an advantage to its competitor "B", such business plan is a guarded secret. The government, being an organization with all sorts of plans and connections, has the reason and the right to keep these secret. On a more mundane level, if an ambassador "XYZ" from country "ABC" is not the brightest knife in the drawer, this may be remarked in a private cable, but as a matter of decorum should not really be made a public announcement. It's all just common sense, but Assange won't have any of that.


the sad thing is that you call me naive and that is probally true.
But you are the one that accepts it.



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MGriff
reply to post by SaturnFX
 


While I'm not foolish enough to believe that we should know everything, American secrecy is at an astounding level, and this was needed. The government is supposed to defend this country, but they are also supposed to preserve liberty and abide by the Constitution. The arguments they use are always for consolidation of power, secrecy, and the erosion of individual liberties. Of course we shouldn't know missile passwords, but we should know how our leaders are conducting themselves and what they are ordering in the name of the American people.
edit on 7-12-2010 by MGriff because: (no reason given)


In political sense we should klnow every little thing going one, atleast we should have acces to it.
Not even wanting to know is just insane in my opinion.
But hey the people get what the choose them selfs.



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thenewboy
 


In germany there's a 'saying' for people like you:

"Wenn man keine Ahnung hat, einfach mal die Fresse halten"

which translates roughly to:

If you do not know what you are talking about, just shut up.

You may want to research the whole case and make yourself an opinion an not just copy someone else's



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective1
the sad thing is that you call me naive and that is probally true.
But you are the one that accepts it.


There are things that most of us will have to accept. World politics and various interests of foreign powers just aren't going to disappear overnight. In view of this, I want the US to have a fair shot at diplomacy without sad schmucks like Assange meddling.



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Should the government post exactly where all missile facilities are around the world?


There shouldn't really be any missile facilites.



Should the government post n the internet their passwords to all their databases so everyone can log in?


I believe so. The same way that an employer is able to access any of your databases at work, because they work for us. They shouldn't be conducting any business in a secretive manner.



Should the government list the names, addresses, and pictures of every single agent going in bad areas to see whats going on with hostile regimes?


Again, I don't think any of those things should be going down. Hostile regimes, agents, NONE of it. None of those things contribute to humanity in a positive way at all. I'm not a hippy by any stretch, and I know that's not the way the world works at this point. But we should all strive to get there. The masses should never have allowed themselves to be manipulated they way they have. They should never allow their governments to create weapons that can wipe out the planet. How ridiculous is that, really? You don't have to be a hippy to see the pointlessness in that, and to understand that if EVERYBODY worked together, and stopped allowing a few rich old men to manipulate us all, and block renewable resources that they can't monopolize, they would no longer be able to shake us up and make us fight like bugs in a jar. There would no longer be poverty on the scale that there is now. We need to take back the majority of the worlds wealth and resources that are in the hands of a SMALL minority.



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDeader
reply to post by thenewboy
 


In germany there's a 'saying' for people like you:

"Wenn man keine Ahnung hat, einfach mal die Fresse halten"


Still, my favorite is "Hitler Kaput!"



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by Subjective1
the sad thing is that you call me naive and that is probally true.
But you are the one that accepts it.


There are things that most of us will have to accept. World politics and various interests of foreign powers just aren't going to disappear overnight. In view of this, I want the US to have a fair shot at diplomacy without sad schmucks like Assange meddling.


No we don't have to except it, that's the whole thing!

We just do and I don't even know why.



posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 




top topics



 
139
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

log in

join