It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats wrong with "hippies"?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by MMPI2
reply to post by masqua

hmmm...anti-war. that's all well and good. "anti war" for the 60s hippie, though, meant running away from your american birthright in a middle of the night, panicked draft dodge, right?

You would have been amazed at the number of hippies in the USAF when I served. Your broad generalizations and blatant trolling needs to be addressed. Perhap a reading of this might get your mind right.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ahhhh...here we go! The hippies start losing the debate, get overwhelmed by the facts, start to have their thin pseudointellectual vernier poked and tested a little bit, and then they run to the rules to quash the discussion.

As I have said, and will say again, the facts I have presented are undeniable, widely accepted, well documented and readily acknowledged by folks without a pre-existing agenda and a just a little bit of honesty.

I understand that the truth hurts. I really do. It's especially true when that truth runs contrary to the hippies' deeply held biases and poorly constructed rationalizations, intellectualizations and denial.

The 60s hippie is no longer able to snow the thinking public about what he did in his youth. He let his country down, embarrassed his family, turned his back on his countrymen in a time of need and spat on the very flag that symbolized the sacrifices made by his fathers and grandfathers. The really frustrating thing is he keeps up this remarkable charade. Those same hippies are in government positions now that allow them to act out the lies on the taxpayers' dollar.

I don't think your rank and file hippie of the 60s understands that he had been co-opted by forces beyond his comprehension. Khrushchev said many years ago that the soviet machine would "bury" free western culture. He was partially right. The stalinsts handed the hippy a ideological shovel and he began working furiously to sling as much mud on this nation as he could.

As seen in the White House, in this thread, he is still hard at work.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

As I have said, and will say again, the facts I have presented are undeniable, widely accepted, well documented and readily acknowledged by folks without a pre-existing agenda and a just a little bit of honesty.

Undeniable? Widely accepted? Well documented? Readily acknowledged?

That's funny, really, because all I read from you was your own hateful and opinionated rantings.

Honesty? That's rich. Obliviated trollery, more like, and exceptionally poignant coming from you on the anniversary of John Lennon's murder (that was yesterday, btw)

peace

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
In the second page of this post I stated:

"You need a definition of "hippie" to form any argument about them. Hippies from the 60s, Beat-nicks from the 50s or the ever popular term Bohemian which signifies the starving artist type.

Webster's Dictionary: "Bohemian . . . a gypsy; an artist living an unconventional life."

What are we actually talking about here? "

No one here has addressed this issue. I've thought about the term "hippie" (or "hippy") and by looking at the root word "hip" I have determined a possible working definition. Hip means (and correct me here if I'm wrong) to be knowledgeable about the current pop culture and current trends. When someone, like a hippie, says "I'm hip" it means they understand. Is being hip the same as being a hippie, if so a hippie is more like a trendy. Let's please determine a definition of the term "hippy". Let's not say its a wide bottomed girl either.

Like a previous poster mentioned about the hipster, is a hippie a hipster?
edit on 9-12-2010 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Puncuation, spelling error and additional line

edit on 9-12-2010 by MichiganSwampBuck because: and another spelling error, I hope my english teachers are proud!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Ahhhh...here we go! The hippies start losing the debate, get overwhelmed by the facts, start to have their thin pseudointellectual vernier poked and tested a little bit, and then they run to the rules to quash the discussion....As seen in the White House, in this thread, he is still hard at work.

The intensity of the vitriol you've been spouting defines you. It also illustrates the need for those who embrace a different worldview. It doesn't take a PhD in Sociology to see that there was more to the movement than mere drug-addled slackers, but you handily chose to ignore the fact in shaping your vision of reality. You're entitled to that, but please, do you really think that you are going to change minds here?

Myself, I'm glad that the right-wing chickenhawks have not yet taken over Western society as it would prove an ugly world, indeed. And one in which I'm sure we would not be permitted this discussion.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Change minds...nah, i learned long ago that you can't change the minds of people who's minds are closed. People like you.

The OP stated his desire to find out "what's wrong with hippies?" I gave him the answer. To this point, there has been nothing presented by ANYONE to refute ANYTHING that I have stated here.

What I can hope is that the reflection of the truth and the facts in my writings will peak the interest of a young person who has not yet damaged their identities or their families/communities by linking themselves with the "hippie movement."

What I KNOW with great specificity is that someone needs to be an honest voice in doing some truth telling about how the hippies did immeasurable harm to millions of lives, and how the lies they told themselves and others are just that....damnable lies.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

What I KNOW with great specificity is that someone needs to be an honest voice in doing some truth telling about how the hippies did immeasurable harm to millions of lives, and how the lies they told themselves and others are just that....damnable lies.

And how do those supposed lies stack up to lies such as the Gulf of Tonkin 'incident' that was used to foist yet another war upon America's youth...not to mention the Vietnamese.

One might also point out Kent State as another heroic act of the status quo of the day. Go through the list...Watergate, assassinations at home and abroad, the Spiro Agnews and J. Edgar Hoovers, all reflections of the anti-hippy 'powers that be' who epitomized the state.

Just a fine, ordered, society you have planned for us.

No thanks.
edit on 9-12-2010 by JohnnyCanuck because: clarity

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread637729/pg9#pid10088790]post by

What I can hope is that the reflection of the truth and the facts in my writings will peak the interest of a young person who has not yet damaged their identities or their families/communities by linking themselves with the "hippie movement."

I would imagine that just the opposite will happen. After your meanspirited rants, name calling, avarice, distain for others points of view and freedom of expression; the youth being what they are would more than likely identify with the free spirits, the joyful, the compassionate, the loving, than the power tripping, control freak, arrogant, Fascists.

You are a fantastic debater but your premise is big time.....fail
edit on 9-12-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Masqua, you have more self control than I, I would have banned this MMP troll a while ago. He is obviously just trolling and being obnoxious.

JohnnyCanuck I love your avatar man. Keep on truckin.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

you know what? the only people who have closed minds are the ones who are so readily assuming everyone else has the closed minds... read a book, gain some knowledge, open your eyes... none of this means anything to you though, that is plainly obvious, you are already dead set in your opinions and aren't even willing to assume that you are wrong... try judging yourself, which i am sure you are incapable of doing, since you have made it obvious to all who read your blind posts that everything is wrong unless you say so, you are right, you are always right, everyone else is wrong... do you not see the problem in your thinking? no you couldn't, but please, now it must be my turn to be judged by you, you, who doesn't know me or anything about what you even talk about... go back to war.. have you convinced everyone yet? you know, that you are all powerful and all knowledgeable? yeah, good luck with that
how is that god complex working for you?
edit on 9-12-2010 by schitzoandro because: stuff

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Well, mainly a lack of hygiene. And an unfortunate fascination with pachouli.

Then there's the entire "new age" thing they often seem to be fascinated with, which probably is linked to an unfortunate paucity of math and science education.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by casijones

Hey - I love tie-dye!

I never heard anyone badmouth hippies but maybe they do it behind my back, lol. After all, I have several pairs of fringed boots

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Mod-Note

Please Address the post, not the poster. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
What's wrong with them?!?! Just look at them! They are hippies....Hippies!!!
Friggin hippies....

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Originally posted by Annee
Drugs (other then marijuana) were actually the downfall and major degenerating cause of the demise of what the original hippie movement was about.

The drug movment was actually a separate movement that just happened to coincide at the same time in the same area as the political movement started by 4 college students.

That's right. Especially certain crystaline drugs that made people crazy. Drugs of those sorts were avoided by those who had two brain cells to rub together.

Nobody really understands what happened in such a short time. Music, philosophy and a large contingent of WWII veterans' children somehow were presented with a unified thought... that of togetherness and a gutteral dislike of the Viet Nam war. From those early days, millions of others came in to join in the fun... but that's all it was... just fun. They thought it was a toga party and everybody could go all Dionysian and get wasted.

That's why the movement didn't last long... above ground
We're still here, we still feel the same way and have passed on our ideals to our children. You can squash a hippie, but you can't kill an idea.

John Lennon... here's to you. We still love you. Imagine.

Thank you. Yes! You had to be there - to be part of it to truly understand.

Its hard to imagine that the music scene completely changed almost over night. Artists who were #1 headliners - - found their careers non-existant almost over night.

A bit of unknown history: I was a senior in high school when the Beattles landed at LAX for their first Los Angeles tour. Agents/promoters of some sort came to the high school to recruit girls to be at the airport to scream and make a scene for the media cameras. Almost no one knew who the Beattles were. When you view the footage of that scene of them landing at LAX - - you now know - - it was staged.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Yep. As evidenced here, the truth stings liberal statist hippies. The hippie is an aging cryptofascist wearing the camouflage of self-righteous indignation, an ersatz "free spirit'. He dons a live-and-let live facade that masks a desire to monitor and quash free thinking, and to destroy opposition.

The hippie hates self-improvement that runs counter to statism and fascism, and he wants nothing more than to see the failure of the merit-based capitalist system that made western culture the most advanced and safe society in the history of the world.

I will direct anybody that is interested to David Horowitz' excellently researched, referenced and indexed "Left Illusions: An Intellectual Odessy". This is the story of an ex hippie that changed his tune once the hatred of his hippie colleagues resulted in the cold blooded murder of several of his closest friends.

Another good one by Horowitz is "Radical Son: A Generational Odessy." Here, he very carefully examines the cancer of the hippie movement, how it contributed to the AIDS pandemic, the wildfire spread of drugs, and the hippies' support of murderous political regimes even with foreknowledge of the mass murders these regimes committed.

The most interesting and noteworthy aspect of Horowitz' work is his ability to dissect the internal motivations and the confusion of the hippie and those entrapped by the 60s counterculture movement. He very clearly elucidates the way that the immaturity of the hippie demographic cluster morphed into a sociocultural cancer.

If you are interested in how the "hippie" has contributed directly and proximately to countless cultural, social, medical, economic and political ills, Horowitz' work is critical.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
Well, mainly a lack of hygiene. And an unfortunate fascination with pachouli.

Then there's the entire "new age" thing they often seem to be fascinated with, which probably is linked to an unfortunate paucity of math and science education.

Yes. Your hippie works hard at distancing himself from basic courtesies and social expectations, even those as basic as hygiene and personal sanitation. this is how deep seated his hatred for his father, grandfathers, country, society is.

By the by, in the interest of historical documentation, here is King Hippie - then and now:

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join