It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats wrong with "hippies"?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
What about hipsters?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

One of the truisms of life is every new batch of young people think adults are stupid. The cycle never changes. At about 25 you start thinking about apologizing to your Parents and Adults in general. Everyone develops at their own rate. It's all good.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by fanana
What about hipsters?

What about them? Got any pictures?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I've never really had any hippie friends or experiences around hippies, until I went to one of their major festivals this past year. I suppose you could say that there were a few artsy and yuppie types as well, but predominantly the tye-dye, the beards, and quite a bit of their mind-altering chemicals. This was 3-4 days, and it was the best experience of my life, bar none. It wasn't because I ingested any drugs, but just seeing the loving and fun atmosphere, 25,000+ strong. It made me believe that maybe there is some hope for humanity. There were random people helping others carry their bags, people not employed or affiliated with the festival but walking around handing out water. Not one weapon confiscation, not one single fight or altercation.

If this type of gathering or people is of such great disturbance to some, I really wonder what they want the world to be like. I would much rather see someone high walking around and enjoying themselves, than constantly being afraid of rising levels of crime, and the brutal tactics of the police that are supposed to be preventing that crime. I'd much rather someone talk a sentence of gibberish to me because of a heavy dose, rather than have some narcissistic, fake, credit-card addicted harlot screaming at me because I don't wish to buy her a drink.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Trouble in Little Chi

Why do you suppose it is we spawned such a violent generation of kids? For instance at the first California Jam, they sold 250,000 tickets and another 100,000 jumped the fence. No violence and when we exited through tunnels, nobody got trampled. Do that now you have a body count.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Please read my post that I made about my Hippie experience after Katrina.

They were feeding people and soldiers before the government was.

abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

If you haven't already check out zeitgeist addendum, .. I don't want to grow up either

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Trouble in Little Chi
I've never really had any hippie friends or experiences around hippies, until I went to one of their major festivals this past year. I suppose you could say that there were a few artsy and yuppie types as well, but predominantly the tye-dye, the beards, and quite a bit of their mind-altering chemicals. This was 3-4 days, and it was the best experience of my life, bar none. It wasn't because I ingested any drugs, but just seeing the loving and fun atmosphere, 25,000+ strong. It made me believe that maybe there is some hope for humanity. There were random people helping others carry their bags, people not employed or affiliated with the festival but walking around handing out water. Not one weapon confiscation, not one single fight or altercation.

If this type of gathering or people is of such great disturbance to some, I really wonder what they want the world to be like. I would much rather see someone high walking around and enjoying themselves, than constantly being afraid of rising levels of crime, and the brutal tactics of the police that are supposed to be preventing that crime. I'd much rather someone talk a sentence of gibberish to me because of a heavy dose, rather than have some narcissistic, fake, credit-card addicted harlot screaming at me because I don't wish to buy her a drink.

Very well said, it speaks to me.

I too attended my first "hippy" festival, as I like to jokingly call them. Mine was All Good and wow was it all good. Walking around; seeing people with smiles on their faces, helping others, introducing themselves to new people is a very very profound experience. I have never seen that much joy in my life and in these times it is very rare to find events that harbor this kind of behavior.

What struck me most about your post is that you said you wondered what they wanted the world to be like. I couldn't agree with you anymore, what did all those people want? I truly wish that I would have been able to have a discussion with all these people about ET, free energy, government corruption, world problems with more people, but I was constantly on the move.

In this thread I have seen so many people attacking these people that they automatically label as dirty drug users and amounting them to nothing. People with this mindset- you couldn't be more incorrect. Yes, there are the dealers and scammers that will take advantage of people, but that is a VERY small amount of the total festival population. I am certain that if I were to share all the knowledge I have acquired on ATS that I would find many people drawing the same conclusions as I do.

Labeling people because of their habits, appearance, and taste in art without meeting them is truly a hurtful thing to do.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
reply to post by casijones

You laugh at us because we are different...we laugh at you because you are all the same.

Uh what? who was laughing? I think you might be a little confused on that one.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
First there was religious indoctrination.

Then there was Aleister Crowley.

Then the 60's happened.

THE MAN and all his clones still can't quite get their heads around it though. Understandable I guess, some people are just wired that way.

I've never been able to understand why Punks hate Hippies so much. They blame them for failing to completely reform the system, as if that's a simple task that can be done in one generation. Pure idiocy!

And, sorry to single you out Romantic Rebel, but seriously, have a look at your name then consider what hippies are all about...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Lets revisit this in another generation shall we

We gave you the freedom to dress weird. In our day they threw you out of school for dressing badly or inappropriately. You could not get a job if you did not dress right.

We gave you the freedom to put holes in yourselves and for men to wear earrings and jewelry. I still have the scar from a cyst in my ear that blew the back of my earlobe out. Wait until you get older and some of you pay for those holes

We introduced the inclusion of previously banned literature in Libraries and Schools.

Women no longer had to wear dresses to school or kneel on the floor to make sure their skirts touched the floor.

We gave you Platform Shoes, which we should have been scorned for. Mine lasted an hour before I realized only an idiot would wear such uncomfortable crap.

We gave you Bell Bottoms with legs so long you tripped over them while you walk.

We were non-violent, at least the real ones were.

We gave you the vote at 18.

Bow before your Hippie Masters

The truth is...we had that freedom the whole time. There are trendy poseurs in every culture and all around jerks. Some psychotic individuals love to bash a group of people and will look down on anyone who has a similar style of dress or similar political view of the hated group.

Some people love to hate. Ive met plenty of people who never called themselves hippies, but exuded all sorts of positive thoughts and were smart, self sufficient people. This idea of burnt out '___' heads is garbage to a great extent and is used to justify so much anathema.
edit on 8-12-2010 by SmokeandShadow because: added

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by Bumr055

Troll hatred? I never heard that one before. The OP asked what is wrong with hippies and I stated my cause against the scum. Don't blame me for speaking the truth against scum hippies.

I'm not blaming you. I'm just saying, it's ironic that you "hate" hippies because they wont conform more to your standards, yet make the comment about them wanting people to conform to them.

Not troll hatred, troll of hatred. Or hater troll, i don't know the terminology... I just know when someones posts are directed more to irritate anyone who doesn't share a certain viewpoint instead of debating it is usually called a 'troll'

I don't see how hippies can top your list for the scum of the planet. a Group about peace and love. Don't give me the "thats what they say, but..." because that the definition of a hippy, not someone who claims they are, but aren't, thats a 'poser' or a 'wannabe'.

If a simple lifestyle offends you so much, maybe you should move to a country that forces you to conform to a certain lifestyle, a more open dictatorship, maybe. Certainly a free country is not what you want.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
There are still people that do believe in peace and love. And it's people like you who propogate hate with out provocation that will mean the end of us all. The world is goin to hell in a hand basket as we speak and instead of banding together all you can do is hate your neigbour? I feel sorry for you.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

Very well said my friend. People like you give me hope for humanity after all.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Much of modern society has adopted the hippie beliefs of the 60's. Things such as ecology, anti-racism and sexism, reclyling, green living, conservation, anti-materialism, and hatred of war have become commonplace. The only war they lost was the sexual revolution. You may hate them, but they changed the world for the better.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by casijones

I'm sorry to say but you intellectual capacity impedes you from seeing the words for what they are. I am using the word "laughing" as a general term to desribe people who are prejudice towards others who are dressed, speak or look differenty than you. Does this answer your...question?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

Did somebody say all good? WOOOOO!! What a time every time. but being on topic if you know alot of hippies you come to realize that there are many different kinds good bad and inbetween. i can tell within 3 minutes how they are and if im going to like them or not. you meet ones that end up becoming a freind temporary or not and youll meet people that just ....... well you get the idea. people consider me a hippie but i work and go to school dont smell or apply to many of the other things i've seen posted on here. in the summer i do stop working but i take it to relax and spend time in my cabin most of the summer and come home or go see shows for the weekends. but it's cool cuz i can afford to do this because im good with controlling my money and make more than enough to compensate and yes i work a normal job just like everyone else. i grow my own food in the summer i hunt every spring and winter to save money and eat better. i dont have a tv at home cuz i got eveything i need on my pc and and i prefer reading books and stuff anyways. i mean i could go on and on but people will have theyre opinions regardless. now that i just thought of that it may have been pointless to have just typed all that but oh well.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

We are so many people insulting of "hippies", but those who start and fight in wars are considered "heroes"?

Are you suggesting that

a) Hippies are actually heroes, or

b) It's an insult to serve in the military?

Or something else?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

We are so many people insulting of "hippies", but those who start and fight in wars are considered "heroes"?

Are you suggesting that

a) Hippies are actually heroes, or

b) It's an insult to serve in the military?

Or something else?

While I support a military in defensive terms, I dont believe we are in a defensive war right now.

If you kill another human, there had better be a serious reason for it. Im not so sure any American should be in another land killing people there.

My original intent when saying it was to mean that you can kill a man and be a hero, but ask for a man to love his fellow brother and you are a dirty drug user.

EDIT: It also goes for the men who started the wars, and any or all others who have blood on their hands. Hell, as an American citizen, I have blood on my hands. I paid for bombs and guns and bullets that are killing people, possibly innocent civilians.
edit on 8-12-2010 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

It's a shame that the PTB use our money to kill to make even more money. And the question in not if the killed innocents it's how many.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join