It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Academic, Journalists and Ministers speak up for Julian Assange

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   

We wrote the letter below because we believe that Julian Assange is entitled to all the protections enshrined in the rule of law – and that the Australian Government has an obligation to ensure he receives them.
The signatures here have been collected in the course of a day-and-a-half, primarily from people in publishing, law and politics.
The signatories hold divergent views about WikiLeaks and its operations. But they are united in a determination to see Mr Assange treated fairly.
We know that many others would have liked to sign. But given the urgency of the situation, we though it expedient to publish now rather than collect more names.
If, however, you agree with the sentiments expressed, we encourage you to leave your name in the comments section.

Source: www.abc.net.au...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I for one am really glad to see that some prominent Australians are not willing to stand by and watch one of our citizens be abandoned without cause.

Many lawyers have come forward to declare that Julian Assange has not broken any international laws.

Therefore his treatment by his government is completely reprehensible.

I may doubt Julians motives and his ultimate agenda, but believe firmly that any Australian citizen should at the very least be protected by our government until such time as charges can be brought and proven against them.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
It's great to see Julian has some mates
But do they have any power?
David Hicks may have an opinion on that

When will this motley crew step forward for an investigation
Into the exercising of power as described in the links?
Will the leaks always be eclipsed by the man.

The revelation for Australians should be
That Labour and Liberal stand together as one
For themselves and secrecy
Over transparency and equality

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by earthbell

I think that these proponents do have some power, some of them are members of parliament. Senator Bob Brown in particular is known for making a ruckus about topics that other politicians don't want discussed.
How far they will actually take it is another story. This does make it easier for others to make some noise too though.

A lot of people weren't willing to speak up for David Hicks due to the circumstances surrounding his capture.

I would like to see this become more about the basic rights of all Australians, not just Julian Assange or the contents of the leaks.

It might be a pipedream, but I am hoping to see a Bill of Rights instituted in this country within my lifetime.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I'm sure it makes Assange feel good knowing he has so much support here.
The government might try and ignore it and hopes it all will go away.
But it won't.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ilandrah

Great and the fact that it comes from the ABC (Government Broadcaster) gives it full credability..
I don't think the Government can ignore this..

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Aussies always support the down trodden, victims of misfortune and usually the underdog. This is no surprise what so ever. AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE....OI OI OI.
edit on 7-12-2010 by zenius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Well I certainly hope that Aussies will stand up in this instance and that Assange will not be forgotten, especially since he has now been arrested.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Yeh, for "sex by surprise" ie not wearing a condom. This offense is worthy of a fine - not jail time. Ludicrous attempt to nab the man. SOURCE

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I think the pressure had some benefit - Julian Assange had consular support during the hearing for bail.

I don't think the government is willing to alienate too many voters at this point - probably hoping it will die down once he is found guilty, after all who could possibly support a convicted rapist !?

new topics

top topics

join