It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Car That Runs 258 Miles To The Gallon - For No More Than $600USD

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePyramidAgenda
reply to post by BrokenCar

Imagine leaving it outside overnight in the snow, you wouldn't find a thing in the morning

I didn't think about that, might have to put a flag on it.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCar

You probably wouldn't want to leave it out anyway. It only weighs 290kg, it wouldn't take too many people to carry it away.
I can imagine the interesting places people could put these cars. I see them being put on roofs as pranks.

Cheers
Brady

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePyramidAgenda

Heres the VW L1 2009 last years version

Heres a little more info on the car:
en.wikipedia.org...

I'd buy it today if it was released on the market....good looking and cheap on gas....
To bad it looks like it will be released in 2013....which is a bit late for a car that has been tested since 2002.....

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
This car is 3+ years old and has been discussed at length here in the past in many threads on diesel engines, and the fact that any diesel engine can run off of ANY pressure combustible oil(as that is how the engine works, not by electrical ignition but pressure). This car costs 30,000$ + just to make and was unfeasible at the original time of manufature hence why it was and still is a prototype car. It was a test to see just how much could be squeezed out of the platform, as a proof of concept.

The true reality is that almost no car can meet the US standards for small vehicles with diesel engines. So far, VW is the only manufacturer that has even passed the tests, however our government has upped those standards every year. Infact VW has not been allowed to manufacture any of thier european line here due to regulations. Or, in more blatant terms, no US car company has a car that can compete with european diesel engine technology. You can get VW jetta TDI that gets 45-55mpg and thats it. Ask yourself why europe sells over 50% diesel engines as compared to gas.

do a search, its all on here.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
$600? I don't believe it. Most new motorcycles cost anywhere from $3000 to $22,000.

Explain to me how this car, which has as many parts as a motorcycle, could be priced at $600?

Many name brand BICYCLES cost $600 and upwards to $1500 and up.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Besides, this car would never be legal to sell in the United States. Cars have safety regulations.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Woah don't shoot the messenger.
I am just sharing what I have seen. Email Volkswagen and ask them, I'm just the average Joe.
If you search Volkswagen $600 car, this car comes up.
It is safe, they say the safety of this car can be compared to that of a GT racing car. I wouldn't expect TPTB even letting this car anywhere near America. Imagine how much fuel people would be using. Not much, it wouldn't be good for the economy.

And yes I know bicycles can cost a lot. My BMX cost me $900, and it wasn't even brand new.

Cheers
Brady
edit on 7-12-2010 by ThePyramidAgenda because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
No, diesel will not become big in the USA because it's cheaper to grow your own fuel in rural areas(ie impossible to tax) or can be bought for pennies a gallon from any eating establishment that has used fryer grease(WVO).

If something can make you self sustained here in the USA, they make it illegal or tax the hell out of it. Even if you own your own land you still need a job to pay the yearly tax, or the gov will steal it.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Sadly, but not surprisingly, Truth or fiction says the $600 tag is false.

The Volkswagen (VW) L1 is a real car, seats 2 and if released would have a price tag $25,900.

Source: www.truthorfiction.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Pimpish

Well there goes my hopes

So much false information around.
I apologize to anyone who had their hopes up, looks like I was fooled by some chump.

Cheers
Brady

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
This would serve nothing more than as a "hey lets go out and do something fun together" car for driver and partner. I cannot even bring home groceries. But ill drive it to the movie theatre and maybe to meet people at a mall or amusement park/zoo/aquarium/whatever . I dont think I can even take it to the beach unless I go alone, where will I put my stuff?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
1. $600? I don't believe it. Most new motorcycles cost anywhere from $3000 to $22,000.

2. Cars have safety regulations.

1. le me guess, your one of the people who thinks that the 600$ for an iphone is the real price.... get a life, 600$ for the parts is possible - an iphone is worth ~ 20$

2. its a volkswagen dude - german technology and accuracy, they are the inventors of the term regulations....
edit on 7-12-2010 by Psymoniac because: typo

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
it can do 258 miles a gallon. Thats not what i look for in a car.

I need safety, if this car hit another car at 25 miles an hour you are dead. no questions.
I need space, i use it mostly for moving things, and people.
How am i going to get spare parts when i need to fix something in that day?

this car has Absolutly no appeal whatsoever.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
$600 for a carbon fibre car

My friend just bought a top-of-the-range carbon fibre saddle post for his bike...it was $500.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Nice thread, but I think I will pass on this car. Could you imagine getting hit on the highway in one of these things? A semi or big SUV will totally destroy this car and the skinny person driving it.
I like the gas milage though.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by coldkidc
So when can I buy one stateside?

me too. Yes when?
2nd

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
GREAAAAAAT..... If this comes to the US market, I can forsee picking 2 or 3 out from the grill of my truck every week.

"Look honey, this was a JUICY one!"

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I want one!!!!

Perfect for me
I don't go much further than into town (of 1000 peeps) about 12 miles away. Hardly any traffic in the sticks, but I will have to watch out for deer! I would never take it on a busy road, though.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
You know, I used to hate the look of these small cars, but now theres one with a VW logo on I might just be tempted, how shallow of me(slaps own wrist)!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I like the idea but it is far too small.

You'll be crushed like a bug when the first lady driving and talking on her cell phone doesn't see you. This would go for a guy driving and talking on his cell phone too (calm down ladies
).

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

just drive around them like they are bikers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join