It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Car That Runs 258 Miles To The Gallon - For No More Than $600USD

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The Most Economical Car In The World.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cd6652e06def.jpg[/atsimg]

Meet the most economical car in the world.
This is not a toy, not just a prototype. But the most economical car the world has ever seen.

Designed in Hamburg, Germany, the Car made by Volkswagen costs only 600USD! And only uses 0.99 litres of fuel per 100km, or 1 gallon per 258 miles! and will travel 404 miles or 650 kilometers on a full tank (1.7 Gallons).

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/373ed91b24dc.jpg[/atsimg]

The tear-drop shape design ensures that there is minimal wind resistance, to ensure maximum performance. The car can reach speeds of up to 62-74 miles or 100-120 kilometers per hour.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cbfb87e83263.jpg[/atsimg]

Made out of Carbon Fiber weighs only 290kg. Despite the lightweight construction of all components, safety has been a major element in all phases of the development of the 1-litre car. For example, the concept vehicle's safety equipment includes anti-lock brakes, ESP electronic stability program and a driver's airbag.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/51115b71b20e.jpg[/atsimg]

Despite it's size of only 3.47 meters long, and 1.25 meters wide. The car is surprisingly spacious and can seat 2 people. The engine that powers this car is a 1 cylinder diesel engine, which sits just in front of the rear axle and puts out 8.5 Horsepower at 4000RPM using new high pressured unit injection technology.

To me it's unreal that this car can run on less than 1 Liter per 100km! It's amazing how much technology has changed over the years. I'd love to have one of these little beasts to hoon around in.

Sources:
www.seriouswheels.com...
Price Sources:
realitypod.com...
www.carautos.info...
www.examiner.com...

Enjoy.

Cheers
Brady

edit on 6-12-2010 by ThePyramidAgenda because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePyramidAgenda

That thing is awesome!

I want one, but how well do you think it would stay on the road in a windstorm on the freeway?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Can I ask where you got the price from? I just can't see it in the article, although I do see the words Carbon fibre and Magnesium which are expensive sounding words

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Technology was suppressed, this probably won't get off the ground but I hope to get one ASAP.

link   
So when can I buy one stateside?

link   
Wow this car is awesome. Looks kinda dorky, but id get one. Is it out on the market already?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I can't seem to find the add to cart button either. This is the kind of inovation the US should have been working on these last 30 years.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Segador
Technology was suppressed, this probably won't get off the ground but I hope to get one ASAP.

It's a diesel engine

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Seems awesome! Too bad they're probably going to be sold around $60,000 as opposed to $600.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Sorry, should've posted a link to the other sources.
realitypod.com...
www.rense.com...
www.examiner.com...

reply to post by Segador

Yeah the technology was kept secret.

The prototype, as shown here, was built in conditions of such great secrecy that little more is known about the car, but we’ll be sure to keep you posted after next week’s meeting.

www.caradvice.com.au...

Cheers
Brady

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Awesome. I'd like them to add a stereo and the ability to roll down a "window" and then I'd line up to buy one.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
"Rumors put the price of the Volkswagen L1 at anywhere between "20,000 to 30,000 Euros (about $31,750 to $47,622)". But if oil prices keep climbing, that might be a bargain in 2010."
I dont know where you got 600 USD from, but it sounds way off. You put my hopes up for nothing....

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bulletproof_monk

Link to source please.
I have so many sources saying it's a $600 car.
www.carautos.info...

Cheers
Brady

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Thanks for those links.

I still don't quite believe the $600 bit, unless they are going to sell them at a loss just to get them off of the ground which I guess could be the case. You can't even buy a small scooter for that, or an electric bike

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Economically it may be good, but safety wise? I would think twice trying to pass an 18 wheeler big rig who can't see me...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
This is an amazing little car. I wish I could get one with all the driving I do. I spend $140 on fuel every other weekend. This car would cost me about $12 in fuel for the same driving, and it`s a 2 seater. It might take slightly longer for the trip but it would be well worth it.

Only problem I have with your post is that I find no mention of price in the article you sourced. I really doubt it would only cost $600 USD. I`m thinking more like $6000 USD. Anything less would be an exceptional offer.

Star and Flag for bringing this neat little car to my attention and thank you.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

oh, sorry. www.treehugger.com...
it says that its just rumors so cant be too reliable. thanks for sharing the links

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bulletproof_monk

Haha sweet as man, no need to apologise

Cheers
Brady

reply to post by KonquestAbySS

Despite the lightweight construction of all components, safety has been a major element in all phases of the development of the 1-litre car. For example, the concept vehicle's safety equipment includes anti-lock brakes, ESP electronic stability program and a driver's airbag. Deformation elements at the front end and the spaceframe construction provide impact and roll-over protection comparable to that of a GT racing car.

www.seriouswheels.com...

Sounds pretty safe to me, but yeah it would be a bit hard to spot

Cheers
Brady

edit on 6-12-2010 by ThePyramidAgenda because: reply

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I'd drive it. And when the snow started flying around here, actually it is now. I'd swap those front tires out for some skis!

ETA: Here is a vid I found:

edit on 12/6/2010 by BrokenCar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCar

Hahaha it does look like a ski mobile now that you mention it.
Imagine leaving it outside overnight in the snow, you wouldn't find a thing in the morning

Cheers
Brady

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join