It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CD as a signal mirror

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I have seen here and other places where CDs are being touted as great replacements for actual signal mirrors. Well, if you are lost and need to signal and happen to have a CD but no mirror, by all means use it. On the other hand, if you are putting together a kit and decide you want a signal mirror, then get a real signal mirror. A CD is only about 22% as reflective as an actual mirror and if they get wet, a CD can be destroyed. The paper side will peel off and take the reflective coating with it which leaves you with a small plastic frisbee.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sideband
I have seen here and other places where CDs are being touted as great replacements for actual signal mirrors. Well, if you are lost and need to signal and happen to have a CD but no mirror, by all means use it. On the other hand, if you are putting together a kit and decide you want a signal mirror, then get a real signal mirror. A CD is only about 22% as reflective as an actual mirror and if they get wet, a CD can be destroyed. The paper side will peel off and take the reflective coating with it which leaves you with a small plastic frisbee.

Cut the edges sharp and you have saw blade.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Sideband

Did you really just start an entire thread about NOT using a CD as a signal mirror?
I hope this one really takes off man. We do need to raise awareness about this issue.
There are far to many idiots running around out there happy as pigs in $H!z trying to use their CDs as signal mirrors.
I hope this thread wakes them the hell up.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Yes. I actually just did. Amazing isn't it? I guess I was out the day it was decided that every single thread had to be a marathon and set a record for the amount of posts. I thought that just maybe posting valid information might be worthwhile. I also started a thread about NOT purchasing "wool disaster blankets".

Did you really just post to criticize my choice of a topic? If it makes you feel any better you are free to ignore me for the rest of your life. I won't mind. I promise.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Sideband

You're exactly right, if there is nothing else to hand, sure give the CD a go. It's less reflective and harder to aim but in a pinch, better than nothing.

But if you're planning for a situation where a survival mirror would be kind of helpful they you're far better off getting the real thing.

CDs are not recommended for use as signal mirrors by the equipped to survive foundation : equipped.org....

edit on 7-12-2010 by whatisanameanyway because: Can't type

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
They are large, fragile, and not as reflective, of course they wouldn't be a first choice. Better off with a gal's compact (you can close it, and the case protects the mirror)...if not an actual mirror made for this purpose. (and you could loot it from most drug and grocery stores in a SHTF scenario)....

join