It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Coca Cola Promotion Has Miltary On Edge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
The newest threat of military bases around the world is, of all things, a can of Coca Cola. A contest is currently going on, where inside the sodacans are cellphones and GPSs. The military is worried that such a prize can could be used as an eavesdropping device in confidential meetings.

There's a new security threat at some of the nation's military bases -- and it looks uncannily like a can of Coke.

Specially rigged Coke cans, part of a summer promotion, contain cell phones and global positioning chips. That has officials at some installations worried the cans could be used to eavesdrop, and they are instituting protective measures.

Coca-Cola Co. says such concerns are nothing but fizz.

Mart Martin, a Coca-Cola spokesman, said no one would mistake one of the winning cans from the company's "Unexpected Summer" promotion for a regular Coke.

www.space.com

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I would think that in any such case of a top secret meeting, or in sensitive locations that all recording and transmitting devices would have to be left at a designated spot. Also, I would have to assume that there would be devices doing frequency sweeps to see if anything was transmitting.

Personally, I think the military may just be blowing this a titch out of proportion, and that it truely is nothing to worry about. I mean, to tell enlisted men to "inspect their cans of coke" before taking them to any sensitive area on base seems just a bit too far.

And even if something sensitive were let out through such a device, it would be on record at the Coca Cola prize center, where it could be promptly deleted or destroyed or confiscated.

[edit on 3-7-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
gps ...that means it could find secret base's that the gov is trying to hide like area 51 and such

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Yes - I bought a 12 pack of 'special coke' but didn't get a thing. Apparently if you get a can with a button on it and press it, they can pick up where you are and deliver a nice shiny new car to your position.

I can just imagine what would happen if a grey from Dulce got one - ET gets a Corvette and the world gets to know that aliens really exist

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:36 AM
link   
They actually come in with their own Huey transport chopper, with a cable carrying "your new car". Imagine that thing heading for dulce, lol.
Coke Man on loudspeaker: "we have your new --- *BOOM*" (stinger makes coke man go bye bye.)

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I'd like to buy the world a coke....and teach them harmony....

It's the REAL thing

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by deadcatsrule
gps ...that means it could find secret base's that the gov is trying to hide like area 51 and such

The next person who suggests that the location of Area 51 is a secret will be SHOT!

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 03:49 AM
link   
i read in our paper here last week about a guy here in northwest indiana just won one the other day from that contest. they didnt fly the car to him though, it took them like 2 days.i dont think the military has anything to worry about though. i worked in a packaging plant before. we sealed happy meal toys, cereal toys, game pieces, you name it we did it. one order was for a game piece that you could win 10,000 dollars for. when that ticket was placed, a company rep was there, to see which box in which case going to where. so they know exactly where the winning piece is going to be bought, helps fight fraud i guess. any rate im sure coke knows better than to place it there...

[edit on 4-7-2004 by sublime4372]

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Doesnt sound like it's the real thing they're worried about. Sounds more like they're worried about a mock up.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
that sounds like a bit of a scam, them knowing where the winners will be. but hey, if they do know down to what store it'll be in, i guess that that should put the military at ease about it. they could just make sure no military bases get these cans, or something.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   

The next person who suggests that the location of Area 51 is a secret will be SHOT!

AREA 51 is not at Groom Lake. The real location is a secret.............................................................
...............................................................OUCH!................................................... ... .. .

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   
My husband got a memo about this soda cans and they has been banned from military bases, at least at the military base were he works, and can not use picture phones either.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

Originally posted by deadcatsrule

All we know is that it's in Area 51, but where is that???

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Some people have gotten their hands on one of the special cans, X-rayed it, and posted an informative and amusing story on the findings. Wi-Fi Toys & engadget

A more serious look at the can and its technology, including a side-by-side comparison with an improvised explosive device, is done by the security firm "Blackwater USA."
Blackwater Analysis (PDF file, Adode Acrobat required)

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Seems good news for people who work in super markets can just see all the workers ripping up boxes to see if they get a prize trust me i know things like this go on I work in one I should know. But I dont think there would be anything to worry about they proberly marker where to put the wining cans.

KC8

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The miltary is on edge for no reason. All polits have charts telling them restricted areas such as P-56 (The Pentagon) All of the Nevada test site which includes Area 51 is all restricted airspace they woud be stupid try to land there.

new topics

top topics

join