It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abovetopsecret.com ridiculed in a College Course.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

We are certainly a colorful crowd. Sort of like one of those passenger trains in India, with people of all descriptions occupying every surface they can cling to and a sturdy steam locomotive powering it all.

edit on 8-12-2010 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Thats funny because the majority of ATS members are probally mentally ill in some way. They mentally ill tend to feed off delusional belifes. So moth to a flame.
However a site like this has potenional, if actual poltical subjects were disscused. Real time news, rather waiting for it to come on tv or newspaper, or the stories that dont make it. If used properly this site can be a great benifit for socitey. (or sites like it)

No crazy mumbo jumbo, sadly there are alot of crazies in the world.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I am a paranoid conspiracy theorist and proud of it!

Screw people who ridicule ATS. They are sheeple...Reptilian slaves.

Who knows what crazy stuff that opinionated professor does in his spare time. I bet you he's a closet freak...like me.

For all we know, he could be playing "hide the peanut butter" with his pet dog when no one is around.

So, so many people pretend...They are just pretenders. Don't take anything they say seriously.

And don't take The Internet too seriously either. It won't last long, now that TPTB are set to take it down.

Free Julian Assange!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

That was deep, man.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

No, there are no FEMA camps. The government is not going to stick you in a camp, I promise you. You can stop being paranoid now.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

You can not tell me you believe everything you read on this site. I will say that some threads are more plausible then other but many have no merit at all. I do agree with you though about how fake the most of the world is. But I'm not sure I really want to know that side of people.
edit on 8-12-2010 by JesusChristSr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Steam

What part of "insinuated" do you not understand?

The word means "Suggest or hint (something negative) in an indirect and unpleasant way."

Did you see that "indirect" part? It means you don't say it out right. You do it indirectly, exactly like the professor did, according to the OP.

The OP's thread is titled "ATS.com ridiculed in a College Course." He then goes on to describe how a professor, you guessed it, ridiculed ATS in his class in conjunction with the case of a suicidal maniac.

Keep in mind, these are the words of the OP, not mine.

Without the OP providing any additional context, the OP goes on to describe how the Professor mentions that the suicidal maniac was an active member of ATS. The OP then says how the Professor begins to mock ATS:

"A site where conspiracy theorists go to talk about how the UN is going to invade the US and use the backs of road signs (because Europeans drive backwards, they will see the backs of our road signs) to help direct them to FEMA concentration camps where the undesired will be held, and Obama will be ok with this, because he's from Venus."

Now, follow along. This is the "insinuation" part. If the Professor only wanted to state as a matter of FACT that the suicidal maniac just-so-happened to be a member at ATS to explain that the suicidal maniac had given warning signs, then that's all he would have done.

But that is not what the OP said the Professor did. The Professor, for no reason, began "ridiculing" ATS. The ONLY reason, the ONLY reason the Professor would do this is to INSINUATE a association between the insanity of ATS with the insanity of the suicidal maniac.

The Professor doesn't need to say "ATS contributed to the suicidal maniac's actions". He INSINUATED it by associating the two.

If you don't understand that, then there is nothing I can do for you. The OP doesn't get it, that's for sure, which is peculiar, because he's the one who titled the thread and described the situation and ASKED FOR US TO RESPOND.

Good luck in understanding this.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Currently at my college, I am writing a 20 page paper against mainstream media, promoting media outlets such as ATS for the values we share and the openness of these communities. It will recognize the fading freedom of speech around the world and emphasize the importance of information flow to a citizen-run government. I will never get a job because I am discrediting the corporate media and promoting the values, the About Us, of sites like Wikileaks.

I understand that there are speculations on how the NWO will stop at nothing, and humanity will probably fail while Assange plays just another puppet, but the report is a basic awareness for helping others awaken to our reality. People need Wikileaks and Assange, at least for an introduction to corruption.

It is called The Political Roles of Digital Media During Globalization

I will not attempt to prove 'conspiracy theories' in my report, only to present them in an open manner. I refer to them as alternative ideas that tangible society will never grasp because of the monetary interests in the media. I also explain basic rhetorical language used on TV that is easy to see through in tone of text.

I've been a quality athlete most of my life, was popular in high school, smoked a lot of pot and loved to drink and sleep with girls my first few years of college. I was quite ignorant, to say the least, and I somewhat knew it. College was a drunk version of high school, and I didn't like it all that much. After two years I needed a change. I regained motivation to read important literature and entertain countless different views from different sources. I still smoke a lot of pot. ATS is about as objective in communication as it gets, but some people simply can't handle this much information this late in their lives.

During my studies in the department of Communication and Digital Media, I gained more wisdom, learned to be patient, became more aware of current events (long before everyone else - soon I will say 'I knew about the Verichip before it was cool - which it isn't!'), and found many more possible explanations about our origins, religions, and governments on ATS, Wikipedia, and YouTube in 10 months than at my school in 3 years, or at my high school, middle school... My writing skills are practically flawless, and my IQ has increased with the simple expansion of consciousness that accompanied my search for truth and interest in philosophy.

The institution, as emphasized in my degree, is geared for the two hands of the devil, Public Relations and Marketing. My school is Evangelical Lutheran. The reason sites like these are so discredited is simply for the free information that the corporate owners haven't been able to catch up to yet, which they know is the key to their downfall, hence the recent ridiculous legislations. The system didn't like Socrates in a toga; now they don't like him on the internet, and it won't change until a total collapse.

If I was at that lecture, I would have debated the f*k out of that guy.
So go ahead, discredit ATS to my face.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Yeah, I think this site is a hot mess of credible, intelligent individuals and lonely, paranoid, internet-attention seekers.

There's so much BS that accumulates on this site, it's disheartening. I've learned to ignore prediction threads all together, as well as fear-mongering posts like "SAY BYE TO ALL OF UR FREEDOMS LOL."

Needles to mention the "I'm-a-messiah/Alien/prophet" posts that somehow get flags. The biggest turn off for me, however, is the FEAR MONGERING. Members project their fear and uncertainty of the future on faceless entities known as "TPTB" and use them as an excuse for every day-to-day problem and negative world event that we face.
It seems every month, the economy is GOING TO CRASH! STOCK UP ON GOODS! Or this FEMA-camp fear mongering.
A tsunami hits some small country and all of a sudden it's "TEHPTB" using their weather-manipulation machines!

I visit this site because I do believe in credible conspiracies such as the coverups surrounding UFOs and ETs, and the exposure of corruption within the leadership of America blows my mind.

But I feel like there's waaaayyy too many crazies and fear-mongers for this site to ever be considered a credible source of information. It's educational at times, but paranoid speculation and fraudulent "prophets" ruin a lot of it for me and many others.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Disillusioned_Youth

You seem to miss the part about ATS where in those fear monger threads, numerous posters call the OP out on their B.S., and those posters get many stars of recognition from the ATS community.

It's a debate here on ATS, it's not one sided. Don't miss that.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
honestly, I don't often bother with the conspiracy sections as much anymore, most the threads are retarded, I usually stick to lurking in the paranormal and cryptozoology forums

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Genetics has ensured that everyone has 'something' to offer.

Won more.....

The future standard curriculum?
*Understood* and *Starred* without a flag.

I'm listening.
U?
edit on 49am44023712231201012 by Perseus Apex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

No, there are no FEMA camps. The government is not going to stick you in a camp, I promise you. You can stop being paranoid now.

1) Yes, there most certainly are FEMA camps. They were deployed rather quickly during the chaos of Katrina. They were set up out in the bush and photographs clearly show that they were surrounded by a lot of barbed wire and private security.

2) I'm not American, I am Canadian. We don't have FEMA camps here.

3) I would much rather be "paranoid" and observant than completely ignorant to reality.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Obviously this man is quite biased in his opinions relating to "CTs," which isn't too surprising these days. However...

What's with all the senseless bashing and hoax accusations? The OP was asking for opinions regarding how ATS had been labeled. The personal information of the professor seems entirely irrelevant. If you are having trouble figuring out the obvious topics of these simple threads, or are just looking to point fingers, maybe you shouldn't be posting here.

Cheers,
Strype

edit on 8-12-2010 by Strype because: Sp

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   

'the earth is flat' was once taught in college too...

nuff said
edit on 8-12-2010 by Odessy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   

There are a lot of nonsense threads and opinions on this site but there is also a wealth of information. Some people would take one look at the front page and roll on the floor laughing.

When I log onto ATS everyday I scan through the top topics and the new topics firehose's respectively.

Generally I see thread titles and think 'bullsh' 'bulsh' ' bullsh' bulsh' 'bullsh' 'oooh that looks interesting!' so I check out the thread. But 90% of the thread titles I see I just think 'bullsh'. Maybe that's ignorant but a lot of threads are regurgitated or nosense.

When I stumble across a really interesting thread, it restores my faith in ATS and I feel I can tell some friends and family about the topic matter. That is when ATS comes into it's own.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Eh, there was a drunk driver that killed a woman.
He later served many terms as a senator.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
EH.. there were nutter theorists before ATS and there will be long after.
You just have to pick and choose what you read. I haven't found a site where I can read about some of my favorite topics as easily as here. A lot of it is just ridiculous, a lot of it is unexplainable but interesting, and some of it is in the realm of plausibility and worth consideration. The latter is why I am here. I stick to the plausible.
Plus lately all the wikileaks stories I'd have to visit a dozen sites to read make there together here.

It's no more ridiculous than reading Fox news site, especially their comment sections.
It's an internet site that caters to an underground community what does your professor expect.
He sounds a little small minded to me.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I remember the incident that the OP describes. The poster didn't kill/commit suicide because of this site. The poster did it without any input from here. To blame ATS is absurd. The professor should get put in the corner with a dunce cap on his head.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by jdub297

Although I see your point. And wouldn't argue it. I would like to say this.

Many years ago I knew a man who was a very gifted person in the sciences. He had two Phd's, and was well thought of by his peers. He was a no nonsense, common sense, kind of guy. In a one on one, off the record discussion with this man, he told me something that not only sounded like he had gone off the deep end, but made me think and say to him, "You are frikkin crazy". That's not only impossible, It sounds like a script out of a bad hollywood movie. Well, when it came to pass years later, I was so astounded, I have never again looked at some of those crazy theories, and crazy history the same way. Beware, sometimes the sky really is falling. Other times, it's just plain old paranoia.

My apologies to all for posting this. After rereading back through the thread, I realized this made absolutely no sense, and had absolutely no substance to anybody but me at the time.

"Engage brain before engaging fingers."

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join