It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: New Security Concerns for Summer Olympics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Delays in construction are hampering security efforts for the upcoming 2004 Summer Olympics in Greece, now six weeks away. Many structures, such as the main Olympic stadium and the security command center, have not yet been completed; this is raising concern with intelligence officials who believe security will suffer because of the delays.

www.iht.com
Surveillance cameras cannot be installed until the stadium is finished. There have been no events in the major stadiums, so officials have been unable to test security procedures.

"We're running out of time," said a foreign intelligence official advising the Greeks on security. "The degree to which you run it down to the wire - therein lies the greatest risk."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In addition, the current timeline does not allow sufficient opportunity to test computer systems for bugs or to properly train staff. Questions have been raised about the ability of Greece's electrical grid to handle the useage surge during the country's hottest time of the year, and traffic planning in urban areas has not been completed.

Most concerning is the fact that many workers at the Olympic sites have not undergone background checks or adequate screening. Employees are required to have visas and work papers, but many workers from out of the country come from areas where such documents are fruadulently issued without much trouble.

No direct credible threats have been made in regards to the Games this year, but the worldwide event has sparked global concern that it would be a prime target.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
that's rather frightening that it's so far behind. could it be possible for terrorist organizations to have implimented agents into the planning and construction of the stadiums? they could then be the ones slowing this down to near the deadline in order to attack with more ease when the time comes.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Greece actually has more terrorist attacks every year than any other country (even Israel), and yet there's going to be an Olympics there?
Sounds like a recipe for disaster for me.

I pray that everyone involved stays safe, but I fear something very bad will happen at the 2004 Olympics -- especially considering the state of the world since 9/11/2001, and the geographic location of the games themselves...

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Didn't a certain 'Time Traveller' say that there wouldn't be an olympics after this one ?

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Yea, I was thinking that maybe there would be a terrorist attack during the olympics. Then everyone could blame the lack of appropriate planning on the fact that terrorism occured.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I thought this was interesting, "MEDSHARK/Majestic Eagle '04,"
Morocco is hosting the U.S.-led multinational exercise also involving France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Turkey and the United Kingdom. In addition, Greece will send defense officials to observe the maritime activities that will include live-fire training in Moroccan waters across from the Canary Islands between Casablanca and Agadir.
globalsecurity.org...

I think the whole preparation for the Games is a debarcle. 'Stadium Australia' was being
used and tested approx' 10 months before the 2000 Games.
Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
A SMALL fire broke out outside the main Athens Olympic stadium today, but was immediately extinguished before spreading, firemen said.

"A single fire engine extinguished it in five minutes. It looked more dangerous than it was because a lot of smoke went up due to the material that was burning," a fire brigade spokesman said.

Frantic works continue to install the seats and complete greenery works outside the stadium in time for the August 13-29 Olympics.

A short-circuit had caused another small fire in the newly-built television press centre of the Olympic complex in May, but it was immediately contained by firemen before causing any serious damage.
news.com.au...

I wonder what material was burning? Plastics etc, can't be too good considering athletes
like fresh air.
edit: sentence

[edit on 5-7-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
According to this website, a post was found with a diagram that resembles the stadium with a plane heading for it on a arabic board. Check it out, the diagram does resemble the Olympic stadium.

"3 August 2004 - "Islamic Airlines; Flight to No Destination"

This morning analysts have forwarded to law enforcement a posting from an Arabic language jihadi board containing the above image.

The heading of the post says "The Islamic Airlines". The posting urges "By Allah, do not underestimate us." The flight is described as "The Flight with No Destination".

The posting closes with the statement "There is no life but in the hereafter".

Analysts have found no clues in the post that indicates what the image is. It clearly shows an airliner headed towards some sort of targets. "

www.homelandsecurityus.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   
This my concern the stadium and most of the construction in Greece is ongoing, now how can the Greek government can assure that the people that is working in those buildings are not terrorist and that they as the same way they work on these buildings they are planting devices.

How well they are been monitored when the Greek government is rushing to finish constructions.

top topics

join