It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me find a program...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Hello ATS! I'm not quite sure if this is the correct forum, i feel it meets the requirements.

Anywho, i've been conducting a search to find a program that will record IP addresses of all the DNS's i go to. as in
www.google.com = 72.14.204.104

I'm getting tired of having to ping the DNS to get the IP, this is quite tedious, but i cannot seem to find a program that just records as i go.

Any idea?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Ive never used anything like that before, However you may find something here

www.sharewareconnection.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Thanks for the quick reply! Remember folks we need to start recording this crap for when the DNS switch is turned off.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I know Firefox has a few addon's that display the IP of the site next to the address bar. Doesn't record it, but makes it a heck of alot easier than pinging each site manually.

EDIT: A friend of mine recalls reading about a firefox addon that apparently does record visited IP's to a log file, she's not sure of the name. Hope that helps.
edit on 6-12-2010 by Ethyrial Symphony because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

Personally i will make the best of it if the internet, use the time to meditate and know myself more, I may sound soppy but i think technology has taken us away from really knowing ourselves.
Your welcome, Hope you find something you need there i just did a few detailed searches and it seemed to be the sort of thing you were looking for

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

Mate when the DNS switch is "turned off" a new switch will be made. Any PC can easily become a DNS server. The internet is a network and the thing about networks is they are unstoppable unless you control the majority of it, the internet can not, and will not be destroyed, it can be policed and censored, but again the info will still be out there but just harder to find.
I know why you want an IP list, but really dont think it will come to that, and when it does people will rub their eyes walk out of their house in to the bright sunshine and meet with other peopple... some of these people will then go on to form their own network which will again recconnect to other networks. As much as no one wants to face it - there is a huge demand for the information TPTB want to censor and where there is demand there will always be supply because there is always money to be made.

Edit to add: What we have is politicians trying to assert their control on a medium they know nothing about. As usual they are going to war with something they do not understand and are biting off more than they can chew. It is like going to war with terrorists - the longer you fight terrorists the more people hear of the terrorists, and more terrorists are created.
edit on 6-12-2010 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

You don't go to a "DNS". You go to a URL. Who is going to turn off DNS anyway and why?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
You could download the entire top level domain zone files, which include IP addresses. You have to apply at Verisign. You could do so for each Top Level Domain, such as .com, .org, .net etc. Search google for "download zone files" for more info. There used to be a place where you could get them for free.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by doom27

You haven't said what operating system you're using, I'm going to go on a limb and assume windows.

A program which can update your local hosts file and resolve domains is Hostess

Another which could be worth a look is DNSKong. It allows you to chain multiple DNS servers so if your usual one goes down it can still resolve hosts (think backups in other countries!).
edit on 7-12-2010 by whatisanameanyway because: Typos. Typos everywhere!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
thanks guys.

As for the URL guy, i'm a network administrator i know my #. Yeah i guess its a URL, but thats like saying, nah man that's a website. DNS is just what translates the domain name to the IP, so you say i want to go to google.com, normally this wouldn't work, but when it hits the DNS server (generally your ISP) it will say oh google.com translates to 72.x.x.x go there.

Also to those who say go outside, its not like i want to dwell in a cave if it hits the fan, i feel like the internet is the best way for us to communicate in a time of need, we can all check on each other, and plan meetings.

As for OS, i've been using windows 7 lately, but i have a full version of VMware with VM's of any operating system you could have, so i can run any program regardless of OS, except MAC, although i have a VM, its such crap i never want to boot it again!

top topics

join