It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say Hi To Space. What is this website?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
So, I'm over on TechCrunch.com reading an article about a Russian guy cutting a hole in his iPad because it has no camera. I watched the YouTube video cited in the article, and it was pretty cool in its attitude and such, but when I visited the website it was nothing like what was shown in the video. Instead it's a clock counting down the hours. But what is it counting down to, and what is the purpose of this website?

Anyone have any idea? Whatever it is I hope it's as cool as the video.

Article here: www.crunchgear.com...

YouTube video below (EDIT, not working and used this ID: mrXQnLiHU)

YouTube direct: www.youtube.com...

Website here: sayhitospace.com...

Twitter message here: twitter.com...

edit on 6-12-2010 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2010 by Jason88 because: video won't embed. Used this ID from YouTube to no avail: mrXQnLiHU

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I make it just under 3 days away, is that right?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Thoriumisbest

Thats what i did too. I broke out the calculator.....

I wonder if it's going to be some kind of Astronomy website?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The start of a viral marketing campaign by what looks to be apple

Nice background though
sayhitospace.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Since the video focuses on the iPad not having a camera I wonder if it's a better, or newer-type of application that looks at the sky and tells the viewer what stars they're looking at. Or maybe it's a messaging service to send out notes to outer space...

I checked my iPhone and it there's isn't a mobile application for this website in the App Store, and it's not like they expect you to take your laptop outside and point the camera at the stars... I really don't have a clue.

I got just under three days as well.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

That's an interesting idea. According to Wikipedia the iPad was announced on January 27, 2010. I wonder in three days if they'll announce a new iPad... just in time to possibly undercut holiday purchases of rival Pad devices. Get an early start this year, maybe.

And, it's not easy to get your tech news in TechCrunch, but this made it. Maybe an Apple marketing/PR type was told to feed this to TechCrunch, with TechCrunch knowing it's Apple but they're under NDA and can't saying anything yet.

Wikipedia link on iPad announcement: en.wikipedia.org...

Personally I'm hoping our Russian friends give us some new sit-at-home space exploration tool.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Could be they are about to release an ipad with camera?
Seems fairly logical.

I guess we will see on Thursday.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
If it is something related to apple then I wouldn't be surprised if it has been hinted at by kevin on diggnation at some point in the recent past. He has let a few things slip before.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

Good point about Kevin, I'll have to keep an eye on Diggnation.

From the comments in TC, a guy thinks it's an announcement of a new tablet, this one: www.notionink.com...

Commenter says the timing lines up to its supposed announcement. And in reading the website, the camera seems pretty neat; it swivels.

Awesome specs too: www.notionink.com...

/Even though I'm a tech geek, I'm still hoping this is space related./

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
3 days or 158 days? If all the numbers are seconds, divided by 60 then divided by 24...places it near the begining of Summer 2011.. Unless I am off...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I wouldn't be to sure about the apple thing according to WhoIs this site is registered in Russia on a server that it states has "very poor trustworthiness"
Registrant ID: NJGLDH5-RU
Registrant Name: Maxim A Polikarpov
Registrant Organization: Maxim A Polikarpov
Registrant Street1: Moskovsky pr., 120
Registrant City: St. Petersburg
Registrant Postal Code: 190000
Registrant Country: RU

It doesn't look too trustworthy to me
whois
edit on 6-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
hype = taffic = money..

could have something to do with the new ipad to be released. maybe the makers of an app for it that users the new built-in camera, who knows..

www.huffingtonpost.com...

whatever it is, it seem to be located in the Ukraine and is tracking people that stop by.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

About 22 days to go. I found seconds to minutes and minutes to hours and hours to days calculator on the web. That makes it around December 28th. WTH?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
It just hit me that it's 7 days after the winter solstice. What can you make of that? Besides a hat and a broach.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Thanks for breaking down the numbers and providing the WHOIS data on the website... it's confusing to say the least.

As someone involved in journalism and PR, I find it strange that this website has made headlines on TechCrunch; strange because the WHOIS info says this site is less than reliable, but the media coverage is reliable and it's damn hard to get your tech news on that site without a very high "cool" factor. My PR mind tells me this is legit and coming from a reliable source even though it's masked behind unreliability until it is unveiled.

The HuffingtonPost article, cited above, has plenty of sources about a new iPad coming in time for the holiday season, but I think it's just a rumor as Apple might be too late to the shopping scene.

There's a new video too, it takes up where the last ended with the guy providing a delivery number from DHS (I didn't verify it's true but seems real) and claiming the destroyed iPad as delivered to Steve Jobs at Apple HQ.

30 seconds long or so, new video: www.youtube.com...

Does this new video change anyone's mind?

EDIT TO ADD: Here's the Twitter message: "iTablet on eBay since December 9 DHL tracking number: 2936606584 Status: Delivered t.co..."

I think on December 9th they'll be selling the iTablet on eBay.

edit on 7-12-2010 by Jason88 because: added more thoughts

edit on 7-12-2010 by Jason88 because: more thoughts

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
That tracking numbers is actually real, you can check it on the DHL web site

Here

1 Shipment picked up HELSINKI - FINLAND 15:51

17 Delivered - Signed for by : G LEE FREMONT, CA - USA 11:23

I guess it is some kind of Viral campaign. The whois data still confuses me though

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
That tracking numbers is actually real, you can check it on the DHL web site

Here

1 Shipment picked up HELSINKI - FINLAND 15:51

17 Delivered - Signed for by : G LEE FREMONT, CA - USA 11:23

I guess it is some kind of Viral campaign. The whois data still confuses me though

Thanks for verifying the info, I'm going with you; I think it's a viral marketing campaign too. I guess in a day or so I can ask the mods to move this thread out of the space forums... but until then we shall see.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Hi!

This website can become your door to space, your door to eternity. Here you can whisper your secrets to the stars, shout to the whole Universe something that only you know, wink to far unknown worlds.

Your voice, your words, your smile will become part of a fascinating eternity surrounding our small planet, our home. Simply press the button Rec and say something – your every word will be recorded and sent into space on a special flight. Don’t try to think about something extraordinary, just a simple "Hi" will be priceless when it leaves the Earth’s boundaries.

Now when you look at the night sky with its cold twinkling stars you will know that somewhere in between billions of galaxies the sound of your voice can be heard. You are forever connected to this huge and mysterious world which is impossible to imagine and impossible to embrace, but which will carefully guard your message until the last of its countless stars has faded.

Start your unbelievable journey into space right now! Our website will be your trusted guide, your ticket to a huge world that you could only dream of before. Say "Hi" to space and it will hear yo

sayhitospace.com...

Random
edit on 13-12-2010 by aivlas because: link added

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
So this website is up and running, and it looks cool. But I am wary of allowing it access to my camera and mic to start my "journey through space"... anyone else want to give it go to see what happens?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

At the risk of ending up on an advert no

top topics

<<   2 >>

join