It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia: Assange allowed to return home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Australia: Assange allowed to return home

edition.cnn.com

Sydney, Australia (CNN) -- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange would be allowed to return to his Australian homeland, and has the same protections any other Australian citizen would, the nation's attorney general said Monday.
Attorney General Robert McClelland's comments came in response to Assange's assertion last week that McClelland and Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard "have made it clear that not only is my return impossible, but that they are actively working to assist the United States government in its attacks on myself and our people.
"This brings into question what does it m
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 6-12-2010 by maythetruthbeknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Is this just a way to trick him into coming to Australia so the USA can do what they will with him? Do you think it is genuine concern for their citizen?, I think most likely its all a popularity contest that serves the Australian governments political agenda. Given what a house hold name Assange and wikileaks has become this seems the logical conclusion.
What do you think??

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I think he'd have to be a fool to trust their benevolence. And he's not. Never trust a politician or bureaucrat who made it that far up the food chain. They made it for a reason, and it's not because of their honesty.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

Saying he has the same protection as an other citizen isn't saying much.

It seems to me like if the US wants to extradite Assange from wherever, he would need to go to the country where that will be the most difficult task for the US

I'm not sure that Australia is that country.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by David_Reale

We all know that he is no fool. With the whole world watching what could Australia do? Well I suppose he could have a car accident but that would look mighty suspicious. There would be uproar if anything untoward were to happen. Then again it would just blow over and be back to normal within a few weeks or months. Wiki who??

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Yes you maybe right. I do not think he will take the offer anyway but only time will tell.
Here is a list of countries USA has extradition treaties with en.wikipedia.org...

Croatia is beautiful and they have no treaty that's where I would go

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

You're right, and I'm thinking it's that same train of thought that has kept and will keep Julian Assange from returning to his home country anytime soon. Regardless of what the worms in government say, Australia is not safe for him. Then again, few places are.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Yeah.... Riiiiight! Wink wink nudge nudge

new topics

top topics

join