It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks Supporters Aim Cyberattacks At PayPal

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Section31
reply to post by Prince Of Darkness

This is such a joke. Hahaha...

400ish people make an army compared to the 7 billion inhabitants on Earth.

Wow! They are so famous that only .000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the population gives a darn.

edit on 7-12-2010 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

Do you know what a DDoS attack is? You only need a few hundred people to take down most websites. And the chatroom is difficult to find, this is why there's only 900* people on it. Not to mention they're under DDoS attacks themself.

A few hundred people
A try a few hundred thousand

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Those are the only options in the world that they can use?

No but he is supressed from all directions...Swiss bank also freeze his funds, i think that this attacking is good warning for all the firms to do their job for Wikileaks like every other ordinary customer.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DGFenrir

Originally posted by NadaCambia
Because that's human nature. Not part of some hidden conspiracy.

Nobody is trolling anybody. We're correcting earlier poster on her/his grasp of Paypal and money transfers. Putting forward a view or idea that conflicts with somebody elses is not trolling.

Infact I'd say if anyone here is trolling it'd be you. You're completely off topic.

And where did I say that you were trolling?

The poster is a free person and has right to use any service he wants. If Wikileaks is having problems with Paypal then it's them who need to change their service provider!

Wikileaks has had their acc frozen there before. Why do they continue using Paypal? Why aren't suggesting them to use a different service?
edit on 7/12/2010 by DGFenrir because: (no reason given)

You didn't say I was trolling. You implied that I, and several others, were engaging in 'trolling'. Because we had conflicting views on the topic at hand.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater

Your ignorance of technology yet willingness to comment on it is astounding. This comment right here is hilarious:

I'm a fully qualified (HND) computer hardware and network engineer, I am fully aware of what a distributed attack is, and it doesn't always take a site fully down, just suck the bandwdith dry, they could be targeting specific services, it may only partially affect their systems, it may cause other internal problems as a result of machines not being able to talk to one another due to the insufficient bandwidth, the automated telephone system has been down for two days, and I said probably as a result, not definitely.

Routine maintenance on paypals site has nothing to do with a ddos attack. Account limits most certainly have nothing to do with any outside actions.

I know, my account is limited because I recieved to many payments as an unverified member, I need to use the automated phone call to help verify it.

You dont trust paypal to have your details, yet you trust them to transfer your funds? Thats a bit contradictory isnt it?

They have gave me the ability to transfer funds now after 180 days, but to do so I would have to give them my bank details, which I don't want to do, what I want to do is pay for goods on EBay, which is transferred to paypal via a pre-payment topup debit card, and there is 25 quid sitting in my PayPal account which has been there for 180 days!
edit on 7/12/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This just in...

MasterCard confirmed Tuesday that it will block payments to WikiLeaks; Visa will reportedly do the same.

"MasterCard is currently in the process of working to suspend the acceptance of MasterCard cards on WikiLeaks until the situation is resolved," the company said in a statement.

BBC News reports that Visa will also suspend access to WikiLeaks pending an investigation. That inquiry will determine whether donations to WikiLeaks "contravenes Visa operating rules," a Visa Europe spokeswoman told the BBC. Visa did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

At this point, the WikiLeaks donation Web site still lists MasterCard and Visa as viable options for donating via credit card. Datacell Switzerland serves as the site's credit card processing partner

This has not been posted in breaking news yet.....5 4 3 2 1....

And I have no desire to so...tip to someone. Go.

www.pcmag.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Then it looks like its time for you to switch payment processors as has been previously suggested.

So you are whining about nothing. Again.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

Which part of "most EBay sellers only accept PayPal as payment" do you not understand?

By the way, there is a difference between whining and voicing ones concerns and opinions on ATS, now kindly jog on and troll someone else, i'm done with this thread, day off work tomorrow and I'm going to the shop for some beer and unwind for the first time in three weeks.

NadaCambia, sorry once again for that disagreement, have a fun filled evening

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Find a new place to buy stuff, that way you can save money instead of paying Ebay twice.

Bonanzle is awesome, and cheaper than Ebay.

Lol, troll? Not quite.

You just keep on thinking that a ddos attack disrupts paypals phone system lol

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Gaah, I wish I hadn't came back in to look, I DO NOT think it affects their phone system, I said it affected their systems, a DDoS zaps bandwidth and resources, denying other users service. This could have other implications on PayPals intranet, and, connections to other servers in different locations. The DDoS might prevent the computer that takes the internet request for the call contacting the computer that initiates the call, either because the DDoS caused the network to collapse, or not be able to allocate the resources.

Sorry for the trolling bit (if your not), but your comments offended me, intentional or not. Maybe its just been a bad week and I need that unwind beer.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

It would be very hard to cripple the phone system via DDOS, the DDOS is on the WAN, where as if they use VOIP, it would be through the LAN side.

I haven't set up many VOIP (network admin here), so i'm not 100% sure, but i can only assume the phone system has nothing to do with the DDOS, but i could be wrong. Noone attacks my networks.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by SeventhSeal

It's great that you're a 100% supporter of WL, nice one mate.

But, you say a business has a right to refuse anyone's business..what if you lived in a remote town and every business refused to accept your money or process *any* transaction, of any kind that is attached to your name?

How would you live?

You couldn't buy fuel to drive away, nor a train, bus or plane ticket.
You couldn't buy food and supplies, your rent or mortgage would not be paid and you'd be evicted. If you found somewhere to shelter, you couldn't heat it, or light it, you'd have no means of communication, as you phones both landline and mobile would not be paid for.

If you became ill, you'd have no access to medicines or treatment.

Your life would be effectively over in the civilized world, and you'd be reduced to a homeless person, begging on the streets.

I'm not saying this is what is happening to WL or anyone else, but it does illustrate just how monumentally your life, anyone's life would be adversely affected if businesses were 'entitled' to reject payment based on internal prejudices and politics.

Wikileaks has become a controversial organization for releasing damaging secrets of the United States government (and rightfully so), a business has a right to disassociate itself from that that same organization for various reasons.

Your analogy is invalid.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

Got my beer now, well, Strongbow cider actually, lol.

You are right, however with PayPal being global, they may rely on WAN to communicate with their different offices, I request the call from their US base, that relays the request via WAN to their UK or european office in Surrey, Luxembourg or Dublin, that then calls me.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
As it stands, postfinance.ch and the swedish police website are both down(from where I am at least)...Pay pal is up though.

While there is a noble sentiment in anonymously coming to the defense of Assange, and I'm sure these people feel like they are doing something to change the world; the reality is that if someone wants to pull the strings and make thousands of individuals act in unison under no flag or banner they can easily do that.

Sorry www.whyweprotest.net... , not your personal army

edit on 7-12-2010 by HollowJacket because: divided by 0

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch

Im saying my business is set up with paypal, and that is how I make my living. So, while you guys are laughing and rubbing your hands..im wondering how the hell Im going to pay my electric bill.

Guess you're not to business savy if you have all your options in one area. Do some research and communicate with other small businesses to find out what is available. Stop being lazy and QQing about your boo boo.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Willbert

You know its sad but true....

I agree, its sad, and yes it sucks for small business, but that's like saying, oh well why is it my fault that i invested all my buisness money with some 16 year old, who ended up buying a lot of drugs and dipping?

Same difference, the choice was made the rely on paypal.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Section31

I understand where you are coming from but they are NOT hackers. They are not breaking in or trying to steal anything, just bring the site down by weight of numbers. This is not the same as one person making a DOS attack. This is DDOS and as such is not illegal.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
If Anon was to do what they did with SOHH ans AHH a few years back that would be even better. I think that was the something awful faction of Anon though. Hacking the site and basically destroying it completely. It took SOHH over a year to just get it's forum back to par. Anon can do all kinds of things beyond pinging and sucking up bandwidth. When it is for the LULZ that is one thing, if for political or freedom of speech means expect Anon to adapt assimilate and destroy.

Just sayin

Gods Speed Anon you have my support

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by SeventhSeal

It's great that you're a 100% supporter of WL, nice one mate.

But, you say a business has a right to refuse anyone's business..what if you lived in a remote town and every business refused to accept your money or process *any* transaction, of any kind that is attached to your name?

How would you live?

You couldn't buy fuel to drive away, nor a train, bus or plane ticket.
You couldn't buy food and supplies, your rent or mortgage would not be paid and you'd be evicted. If you found somewhere to shelter, you couldn't heat it, or light it, you'd have no means of communication, as you phones both landline and mobile would not be paid for.

If you became ill, you'd have no access to medicines or treatment.

Your life would be effectively over in the civilized world, and you'd be reduced to a homeless person, begging on the streets.

I'm not saying this is what is happening to WL or anyone else, but it does illustrate just how monumentally your life, anyone's life would be adversely affected if businesses were 'entitled' to reject payment based on internal prejudices and politics.

Have you ever heard of a credit check? Happens all the time . And they quite clearly stated that wiki violated their tos, they didn't just willy nilly decide to pull the plug, although pressure from the government could still be in question. I won't deny that claim.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
Whilst I understand the frustration of people at the way the Wikileaks site has been taken down by the PTB, and I support a transient attack of this kind, I have to say that any long term attack on this particular site could be damaging for many small businesses that depend on PayPal for income from sales.

Which is entirely the point. Stop using paypal.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Try another payment provider.

There are plenty out there.

Easier said than done. My business runs off paypal as well. And it heavily relies on an out-sourced merchant gateway so changing services isn't possible without changing everything.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join