It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science Experiment in South Pole Ice searches for clues about Dark Matter (8k feet deep holes in ice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/63fe4d32be29.jpg[/atsimg]

Every December since 2004, engineers have flown to the South Pole to drill 8,000-foot-deep holes in the ice. The team lowers cables, each strung with 60 disco-ball-size light sensors, into the holes and let them freeze over. So far they have completed 79 such holes, set in a grid half a mile on each side, and plan to drill the final seven this month. The result will be the IceCube Neutrino Observatory, a cube of ice packed with 5,320 sensors looking for cosmic particles.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3dfe88f30c36.jpg[/atsimg]
A Photo Sensor Is Lowered Into Antarctic Ice

Neutrinos are subatomic particles created by radioactive decay or nuclear reactions. Like other types of extrasolar radiation, they emerge from energetic cosmic events and constantly bombard Earth. Neutrinos are unique among cosmic particles, however, in that they carry no electric charge. The magnetic fields of stars and planets bend the paths of charged particles, making it impossible for scientists to identify their origin. But neutrinos fly in a straight line: Catch one, and you can trace it back to whatever produced it, which makes them one of the easiest means of probing the far reaches of the universe.

Detecting a neutrino, however, is a bit like trying to catch a flea with a fishing net—the particles are so small that trillions of them travel through Earth every second without even hitting an atom. So the researchers at IceCube employ a clever technique to spot indirect evidence of neutrinos

Every day, several dozen neutrinos passing through IceCube will hit a hydrogen or oxygen atom in the ice and eject another particle, called a muon, that emits a blue light. In Antarctica’s nearly pure ice, the photo sensors can spot such a flash a football field away, and with dozens of sensors registering each muon, scientists can triangulate the neutrino’s exact path through the ice and extrapolate it to its source.

Source: www.popsci.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9bd99c66bbe5.jpg[/atsimg]

Okay, okay. A nice and good story & all. I hope they are successful in their endevors. HOWEVER. Does anyone else see something else in this?

Tell me about deep digging for evidence of UFO/Aliens and or prior civilizations. Come on. I would surely hope there is someone checking any drillout core pieces for any number of things. What an opportunity to look into the past with that stuff they are drilling up!

Any of you know anything about this project-in more detail? Been there? That would be even better.

It will be interesting to see what they end up with when they are done.

edit on 12/6/2010 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Who knows what they may find!!

Im with you. I hope they arent just tossing stuff aside that might have some kind of significance.

Thats a long way down...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Id be suprised if they did all but a cursory examination and perhaps photographs of the cores...
Thats a long bore hole, over a mile down....meaning theyd have to look intensely at about ten or twlve miles worth of cores in a ingle drilling season.
Given the expense of the project. i doubt they have much time for the whims of other departments.
I do agree here would be the perfect opportunity for an indepth (haha) look at the ice cores for all kinds of moitoring purposes.
I am sure they could track a lot of data for geo science to ponder.
Being physicists however, i wonder if they even remembered to pack enough toilet paper......

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Hey anon72 beat you to it
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Its not a case of mine was there first so don't bother removing. You may find points of interest though?
Why don't you roll your eyes over my thread?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Well, you got me there. I admit I only did the search by the article title. Thank you for pointing it out.

If you don't mind. I will check it out before I alert. Just in case the subject and content are different.

Peace

Rolling over there right now.

I stand corrected. Very nice work. I alerted the Mods. Here is the link again:
edit on 12/6/2010 by anon72 because: added link & comment

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Closed due to existing thread on the subject here:

new topics

top topics

join