It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 16 Year Olds Life Perspective

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by littlecloud

The troubles of the world are deeper and go farther then you can imagine much less know or read about, listen to your father he knows more then he would tell you. Your little adventure sounds noble in theory but a whole different world in practice, my advice is work in your commune to help others out if you really want to help people, and you could even travel and see whats what's up in the out-there and less fortunate countries, but definitely not so young or without protection or how the place you want to go really is.

But all in all the best thing that you can do to help anybody else is to help yourself first, then maybe one day, once you helped yourself you might be able to help others, helping the world though is not within your power, its just to big for any human to do, in fact they would have no clue on how to begin such a thing. You even still believe money is the root of all evil, but it's not, even if money would be replaced, something else would take its place, but yes money is just a piece of paper in the end, just part of a bigger picture, just a thing created to focus the unseen evils that live in every humans heart, into a single symbol and path, its just a tool. And can be used for good or bad even evil. It sounds to me like you just want to travel and see things first hand, which is nice and all but remember were the road of good intentions leads, think twice and look both ways before you cross that road.

So wish you luck in whatever you do.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

It sounds to me like you have a great outlook on life. I will say I also have a 17 yo daughter who when she was 16 yo we let her take a trip to Japan (with her Japanese class). It was a life changing experience for her and now she will be graduating this year and returning to Japan to teach English on a 2 year scholarship then returning back to the states to finish her degree. I say follow your dreams.....I could not be more proud of my daughter and her decision. Good luck in your endeavors.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I have to agree with Antar, they have posted a very relevant job description there. What exactly do you have to offer? What exactly do you envisage yourself doing in a situation like that? Very relevant questions and I think that several other posters have hit the nail on the head with their observations that you are currently bored and drinking beer, which leads them and myself to think that perhaps you would not be ready for such an endeavour.

My daughter is 16, she's on her computer playing WoW - counting down the hours till she can pick up her copy of Cataclysm. She studies hard at school and wants to be an engineer. She cares a lot about the inequalites of the world and would like to do something about it. When she is fully qualified in 5 or 6 years, she will be able to, with a degree in engineering, she really will be able to make a difference.

I'm not suggesting that only academic qualifications can make a difference, but life experience is also very valuable, and at 16, from the background you allude to, it is unlikely that you have the necessary life experience to make a difference to anyone's life. Not meaning to sound harsh and at least you have the right attitude in many respects, but real life is harsh and at 16 I think you still have an awful lot to learn.

Stick with the suggestions made by other posters, do something in your own community and stick at it. On a Friday night when you'd rather be chilling with your mates and a beer, head down to the soup kitchen as another poster suggested and spend the night helping those in your own community who have far less than you do, and do that for at least 6 months, every Friday/Saturday night, or every night for that matter and see how you feel then.

Peace

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by belial259

Don't listen to the badly trained cynic. I think you are right on track and that if you follow your heart you cannot go wrong, although I'm not suggesting that you dis your parents either. It's a tricky balancing act of course.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Littlecloud,

I expect to take some heat for my opinion, but that's okay. I'm 49 and getting older by the minute, not 16.

Your dad can only speak from his own experiences, which might have nothing to do with the future in front of you. If I had a dollar for everytime I made some great pronouncement about younger people in my family, I'd be retired by now

It's your life. And it sounds like you've got a direction.

My girlfriend and I have a young lady who is like our daughter - only a few years older than you - she went to South America in the Peace Corps and helped teach the children and adults, and helped build a hospital.

Unless you are one of those unfortunate people who screw up enough in this life time to get reincarnated, this is the only life you'll have. Make it count!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

By the way, starred and flagged.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Yeah, im sure there are alot of truth to his words we just have different mindsets and aspirations
Dosent mean i dont listen though, hes a pretty smart man.
Oh good on her! Good to know she isnt that much older then me, means its not impossible

I will try
I really dont want to come back as a pigeon or soemthing. haha

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

But all in all the best thing that you can do to help anybody else is to help yourself first, then maybe one day, once you helped yourself you might be able to help others, helping the world though is not within your power, its just to big for any human to do, in fact they would have no clue on how to begin such a thing. You even still believe money is the root of all evil, but it's not, even if money would be replaced, something else would take its place, but yes money is just a piece of paper in the end, just part of a bigger picture, just a thing created to focus the unseen evils that live in every humans heart, into a single symbol and path, its just a tool. And can be used for good or bad even evil. It sounds to me like you just want to travel and see things first hand, which is nice and all but remember were the road of good intentions leads, think twice and look both ways before you cross that road.

I had never even thought about that but you are right, how are you ment to help others if you cant even help yourself. Ofcourse helping the world is such a big task it would take so many people to do something on a universal scale but you never really know, maybe its like a chain reaction. Someone reads about what someone has done to help around and then they too would like to contribute, i think it kinda works that way.
If money isnt, then what is? What your getting to sounds quite interesting there. lol
I understand what you mean when you say it would be replaced with something else, but there would have to be one single thing that causes all these things, im guessing it has something to do with human nature.
Oh i definately want to travel, but this isnt just a little phase or anything. anyone who knows me personally would know haha.
and im not screaming godchild either, thats just embarrasing
everyone is able to amount to something.
but ofcourse i will think about what path to take before i make any big steps, thanks for the advice

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by littlecloud
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

I had never even thought about that but you are right, how are you ment to help others if you cant even help yourself. Ofcourse helping the world is such a big task it would take so many people to do something on a universal scale but you never really know, maybe its like a chain reaction. Someone reads about what someone has done to help around and then they too would like to contribute, i think it kinda works that way.
If money isnt, then what is? What your getting to sounds quite interesting there. lol
I understand what you mean when you say it would be replaced with something else, but there would have to be one single thing that causes all these things, im guessing it has something to do with human nature.
Oh i definately want to travel, but this isnt just a little phase or anything. anyone who knows me personally would know haha.
and im not screaming godchild either, thats just embarrasing
everyone is able to amount to something.
but ofcourse i will think about what path to take before i make any big steps, thanks for the advice

Follow your heart - its about the only thing any God ever gave us for a compass. Wanting to help people beats the flying snot out of just wanting to score some drug or wanting to fit in somewhere.

If you feel that strongly about what you want your life to be about, then I think you have the right to determine your future for yourself.

18 is an arbitrary age. I know many 50 years olds who shouldn't be allowed to vote, and many "kids" who have better good sense than I do.

Stick by your guns young lady. Maybe people like you will make this world a helluva of lot better, where us old folks haven't.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

If money isnt, then what is?

Not only the nature of humanity, but the nature of this universe and life, the positive and negative, cant have one without the other, you know cant have good without bad. It's a system that has to overcome itself over and over. Money is just a focus point, were all can point at and say, there is something bad going on there, like there was something bad going on in all of the past's and there systems and ways, but your right if you focus on the bad only, you will only see the bad. But it still is just a insignificant system of a species on a rock floating in the void of an infinite ocean of stars.

Ya thats what I thought, and I can't say it's a bad thing, it's always nice to get a different perspective on life in general and other people by going to were other people live. But at least plan ahead, the world is not always what it seems when young, or even when old.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

I think that drinking beer at your age is ridiculous and that it will not serve you in the least bit. If I were your Mom I would kick your butt and ground you!

Also when you start out burning brain cells as you are you WILL NEVER know or REACH YOUR POTENTIAL!

Friend, I'd just like to point out that this is pure rubbish. I realize you're trying to scare this girl into submission, but I think the technique is a bit outdated and would tend to think most CTers would agree here.

Many geniuses were alcoholics. Not that alcoholism is okay. Just saying that it's certainly not as black and white as you make it out to be. Have you honestly not experienced emotional/social growth from a night of hard drinking before? If not, I think you're missing out. I even saw a thread earlier that made a convincing argument for alcohol being a main factor for the rise of civility.

Brain cells die, and they grow. The idiocy we were taught in school that they don't grow over your lifetime is now known to be false. You know what helps grow neurons? Laughter. You know what contributes to a lot of laughter most of the time? Alcohol!

Besides, some of us have too much "potential" that would never get properly actualized without the use of some alcoholic beverages to help ignore all the mindless idiocy which is all around these days.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Oh man are you way off base and totally wrong imo.

I have witnessed far too many people in my life start out on the dysfunctional train too early and ruin their lives and lose any possibility of spiritual/soul retrieval to ever make this life count. You may have it together in theory but have a long way to go to actually do anything of real significance with your view point on this one or in the reality which is begging for a natural approach to anything which this girl seems to be asking for guidance towards in her life.

What you are saying here has got to make you deeply understand the importance of becoming a guide to those who may think and feel you are right on in some ways and therefore place you up on their pedestal and take everything you say literally.

You have the potential of being a teacher guide and that means you should really consider what you say and the repercussions of your comments based on the individual. if you are an adult and speaking for yourself then fine but this young compassionate woman is asking for something life changing here and her comments to my post alone should speak volumes to what she is in need of.

Yes I am the Mother of the New Man and yes I am VERY cool, a hands on kind of Mom, the whole community of kids love me and take my advice to heart. I am honest and show them through my life experience how to avoid the many pitfalls which await them and in doing so avoid loads of potential problems through awareness.

Kids see this, and they trust me and my advice, you took it personally and in a negative way, she on the other hand was in no way threatened or insulted by what I said. This showed me that she is also trustworthy and really quite mature and intelligent with just enough humor to make her special and lovable.

I am not a prude but as I told her there are so many things that she can be doing that will help her blossom and grow and for any person in my life who tells me they are bored, I jump at the chance to remind them to stop being jaded and boring!

Creativity is never bored and has a million blessings attached to each unique aspect of its endless possibility.

However if you cant find a creative outlet, then it can turn to its opposite which is where alcohol or drugs come into the mix, to explore the same energy as we all have built in by nature, the same laughter, silliness, joy, dance, abandonment of the seriousness of the world, and that part of each of us that is self entertained and outgoing and at the same time introspective , centered and peaceful, satisfied.

Alcohol is a fake and poor substitution for the real thing, and my advice to this young woman is to find her creativity and reach for the stars and to do all that she can to attain her goals, I pray for the youth to heal and resolve many of the mess-ups that they were born into.

The strongest souls have chosen to come in at this time and I feel she is could be compromised by the dark forces, the lower astrals if you will by continuing to be a partier rather than focusing her energy to her hearts goals and ambitions.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I think its great that you are sixteen and having such aspirations. As a 16 yr old in the '80s let me tell ya, only clothes, makeup and boys were on my mind. I wish I had been wiser then. My own 16 yr old son just spoke to me about a similar idea and I told him I thought it was good that he wanted to do something to help those in need. I fully support him. There will be time enough to work and make money. I'm impressed with your ideals and wish I had been less selfish at the age of 16. Once you graduate high school and are 18 choose your own path. Money is not everything, only good comes of good. Best of luck to you.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
My advice: see the world. The world's a much bigger place than America or Canada or wherever you live. I was from a small town in Nebraska before I came to Seoul Korea to teach English. I've experienced so much and learned so much in my time here. There was so much that I couldn't experience where I was that I've experienced because I took a risk and moved to a different country.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dan4112

How would your experience differ had you not first received some educational backing? Had you gone there at 16 how would it have been different for you? I think travel and expanding ones horizons is a must in this life, I for one believe in the Type 1 society where we acknowledge that this is our planet and we are all humans, but we are not there yet and neither is it a good idea to be a drop out heading for Africa.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Oh the joys of being young. We were born with hearts of gold but as we grow old the heart turns cold. Your father is only looking out for your best interest. The world is a savage place. It is very cut throat out there and you should focus on you own life right now and not the lives of others.

I don't know what your financial upbringing was but is not just paper to those who don't have it. Maybe your trust fund will allow you to live this type of idealistic lifestyle but if not you should seriously think of your future first. I made a similar mistake when I was younger and it took me a long time to catch back up. Money is not everything and there is huge value in helping people but I would not recommend trying to make a career. Life is long and you will have plenty of time to do these types of things once you get your life squared away.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Balance is the key too life. Go too far in one direction of the other an you will not be happy.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Dear. Miss Littlecloud

I really wish you luck; I fully support your goal-your idea of helping African children and the merit of "F- the system, screw confirmity and materialism, money is not everything" such and such. I confess I still have a sixteen yo spirit in me, even though I've understood more than I did back when I was sixteent. Now at the age of twenty-five, helping unfortunate people around the world still is still one of my top five goals in life to accomplish (finding a significant-girl is ranked 6th)
, the main difference is that I choose to approach it more careful than when I was younger, I do not take drastic measures anymore
, I have to plan everything out and expect some of them will not meet my plan, so that I can make back-up plan or countermeasure ..... the look on your face probably like this
now.

Base on my personal understanding, right now you have in front of you three paths to choose from;
1) Do what you feel right, listen to the wind and your heart, dont care about what anybody else say and consequences.

2) Listen to your parents and forget your dream. ( You'r
right now, I know)

3) Listen to your parents FOR NOW; after getting your degree, experience in whatever field you choose that helping strengthen your resume and build a huge strong base so that whenever you backed out from your dream or something change your mind in the middle, you would suffered consequences less than without a base. THEN you can go out follow your dream, do your thing.

Here's the catch of why many idealists change when they choose to take 3rd path. Throughout your advancing in education and career (to have better understanding and a strong base) you will somehow lose your dream along the way because of :
- Meeting with a guy you absolutely CANNOT shake him off your mind. (He will eventually become father of your kids and ya'll live a happy ever after life)
- Understanding you can help your city/ county more than traveling to a different continent and help people there.
- You get used to the life of comfort and materialism, so your dream is lost forever.
- You will somehow see that your lil dream/ help does not make any significant difference in the world, so you still help out at local soup kitchen and such, but inside you know that you've forfeit your original dream.

After reading this, PLEASE do not feel oblisgate or whatever. IT IS YOUR LIFE, do what you want.

P.S. I don't discuss consequences because they will make negative thoughts that could possibly change your dream......Hell I just give you the worst possible consequence; "You will be raped til dead."

My best regard
Sincerely

(grammar and typos I know
)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

This is true, but im not planning to drop out, im going in my gap year

Just for future clarification, im finishing year 12 then going to africa and wherever else i can afford at that time and coming back to go to uni. And see where i go for there

Thanks for your insight in other posts btw

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusChristSr

Oh the joys of being young. We were born with hearts of gold but as we grow old the heart turns cold. Your father is only looking out for your best interest. The world is a savage place. It is very cut throat out there and you should focus on you own life right now and not the lives of others.

Ive kinda noticed that
I guess you would eventually be desensitised to it by the amounts of times we are bombarded with horror stories on the news.
Well, i am focussing on myself at the meantime because i need to finish college and i need to save up for it ofcourse. But then I have one whole year to play it out
Im not planning to go by my self by the way, ive got a few friends that are interested too.

My financial background is stable but not extremely wealthy or anything, just average really.
I forgot where i was going with this. Damn.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join