It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter is censoring the discussion of #Wikileaks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

bubbloy.wordpress.com

Today, as I was scouring the web for everything I could find about the censoring of Wikileaks and Julian Assange’s legal status I had a growing feeling of unease that Twitter was actively censoring the discussion of Wikileaks. New Tweets filed under the tag #Wikileaks were popping up at an astounding pace. If I left the page alone for literally 30 seconds, 40 new Tweets tagged as #Wikileaks would be there when I returned. It just seemed like #Wikileaks would be one of the most popular topics and therefore be reported as a “Trend”, but I really had no way to quantify this.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I use twitter and was wondering the same thing. It looks like this person has gone and done there homework.
'The term #Wikileaks blows the other terms out of the water over the entire course of the day. It’s not like it’s even close. On average, it is nearly 3 times as popular as any of the other terms. '
The reseacher then goes on to state:
Why then is #Wikileaks not listed as a “Trend” on Twitter. What explanation could there for this? While Twitter is not explicitly removing posts about Wikileaks, it is actively preventing people from realizing the true scope of Wikileaks discussion, unless they’re already involved with it or seeking it out. This is no small detail. It effectively prevents Twitter from acting as a meaningful social utility.
It looks like he may well have a point, I have never seen this before. I have seen youtube doing it, number counts doping on vidoes to stop them hitting front page.. Same kind of principle....
Looks like even the simple twitter is controled to stop us portraying the truth...
Eveywhere i look these days i see lies... I thought our parents bougt us up better than this..
Something needs to change...

kx

bubbloy.wordpress.com

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Well various companies and US government contractors are going to be refusing applicants who have ever been known to discuss Wikileaks. One of the ways that the powers that be are tracking applicants is via twitter. If they have ever discussed Wikileaks on twitter or facebook , then they will likely be refused any position with a goverment agency , or a contractor affiliated closely with the US government , so its likely that both twitter and facebook have been infiltrated (probably with permission of the site owners) so that tracking software can be applied to those who frequently observe the wiki tweets, or who discuss it in otherwise private formats .

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I've lost tweets over wikileaks.

Plus, nothing is trending now - none of us know if self censoring is occurring or twitter is being forced to comply.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Well, there goes that job at the US embassy for me....

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Infinite, you would be wasted in such a debased and moraly retarded establishment anyway !

2nd

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This is ACTIVELY being ignored in the trends by Twitter which is censorship of the worst kind in a social site.

See here and here for more information.

edit on 6/12/2010 by PuterMan because: to correct a link

Sorry to duplicate your link in my first one. The search on ATS showed this topic as 12th June! It is the American date format again.
edit on 6/12/2010 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

bubbloy.wordpress.com

Today, as I was scouring the web for everything I could find about the censoring of Wikileaks and Julian Assange’s legal status I had a growing feeling of unease that Twitter was actively censoring the discussion of Wikileaks. New Tweets filed under the tag #Wikileaks were popping up at an astounding pace. If I left the page alone for literally 30 seconds, 40 new Tweets tagged as #Wikileaks would be there when I returned. It just seemed like #Wikileaks would be one of the most popular topics and therefore be reported as a “Trend”, but I really had no way to quantify this.

There is a real easy stop to this.... tag every wikileaks tweet with a common trending tag...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
oh yh it's been trending all right, just not on Twitters trending page;

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by digitalf

Yep... LIke I said... simply put the tags of one of the other trenders up there, and it will be caught with every subsequent search

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Since government employees aren't allowed to talk about wikileaks, or even say that which shall not be named, shouldn't we get to fire all the CIA and FBI employees. I'm sure they've said that which shall not be named at some point.

Sorry guys, you all lose your jobs!

new topics

top topics

join