It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newly Released Set of Mars Images

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Newly released images from 340 recent observations of Mars by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera aboard NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter show details of a wide assortment of Martian environments.

This enhanced image shows the inside of a rimless pit about 310 meters (1,017 feet) in diameter, northwest of the mountain Ascraeus Mons in the northern hemisphere of Mars. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/University of Arizona

This enhanced image shows the inside of a rimless pit about 180 meters (591 feet) in diameter, northwest of the mountain Ascraeus Mons in the northern hemisphere of Mars. Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/University of Arizona

Two dark, rimless pits are located to the northwest of Ascraeus Mons in the Tharsis volcanic region of Mars. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/University of Arizona

New Set of Mars Images

How cool, and yet eerie at the same time. Looksing at the first picture I was in awe. To the left of the pit it looks as if rocks are falling in. Not sure what to say about the other picture of a different pit, but it looks like an illusion.

I wonder what lurks down there.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Thanks for the images.
Can you post the direct link of these new images?
Thanks.
S&F.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Here they are at the MRO Hi-rise website.
hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...
There are sub-images on the right hand side of the page. Which show more details inside the pits.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Thank you very much!

A deeper analysys required.......

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Thats very strange to me. Why would these pits be there? in one of the sub pics it looks like the ground was passed over by water and left a wavelike almost fluid looking mold behind. Is that proof that water did indeed flow freely on Mars in the recent past? How did those holes even get there? An important find for sure!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Thanks for posting the link.

The other link in the article is The Planetary Data System Page.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Absolutely awesome! I get so tired & pissed-off by people who magnify poorly-reproduced photos far beond the limits of resolution, and then confabulate the Rorschach-pixels into "alien bases" and such-like.

Here are crystal-clear images of an authentic scientific mystery. I know geologists who would gladly trade their lives for a one-way ticket to Mars to take a hammer & microscope to these rocks and unlock their secrets.

Reality is so much more fascinating...

S & F

edit on 6-12-2010 by Saint Exupery because: spelling

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

I guess I'll be one of the first to mention the possibility of a hollowish planet ufo base and these look like the entrance portals.
Wild speculation of course, but a cool fantasy nonetheless. Over a thousand feet across, wow!
Thanks for sharing Oozil!

Peace,
spec
edit on 6-12-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saint Exupery
confabulate the Rorschach-pixels into "alien bases"

wow ymmd and its soo true - nasa gives away a lot of good pictures, no need to resize or even reupload them
i personally do only trust nasa pictures from an official source - nothing else....

is there a direct link to the complete set of images?
edit on 6-12-2010 by Psymoniac because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreadphil
in one of the sub pics it looks like the ground was passed over by water and left a wavelike almost fluid looking mold behind.

When I seen exactly what you are talking about I thought of something crawing and making the marks. Good eye.
s&f
edit on 12/6/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
other than the obvious size difference, they look like the sink holes that have made the news in the past months (in Brazil & Germany off the top my head)

the top pictures looks like there is a giant rock in the left side of hole

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Why would these pits be there?

Look closer at where the image was taken .....

Two dark, rimless pits are located to the northwest of Ascraeus Mons in the Tharsis volcanic region of Mars. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/University of Arizona .

An example

Thurston Lava Tube Hawaii

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Thanks for posting those intriguing images.

You have a really good eye for fascinating subject matter ........ never a dull thread from you. Bravo

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
man what I wouldn't give to have a sample analyzed from the walls of those pits!!!

Imagine what fossilized goodies may be lurking in those layers...look at the differentiation of the deposit layers as you go from surface to bottom!!!

We need a bigger lander! something with a backhoe and pick-axe.

Plus a couple of empty one-way earth-return vehicles...load 'em up and send em home...

The paleontologist/ anthropologist (we need a new word here for study of Martian fossils) just wet his pants.

I know, let's find some first and then we'll give it a name. Methinks this is a good spot to start looking!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Ah Thats why the oceans are gone from mars....somebody pulled the plugs!

The whitish looking stuff sort of cascading down one side of the hole ....could that be CO2 snow or something similar(a gas frozen into solid or semi solid.....acting like earthly snowfall?
Or perhaps it is sand drift?
Mars is the bomb!
Id give everything to just poke around there for a week!
We definately need a bigger rover......

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Thats very strange to me. Why would these pits be there? in one of the sub pics it looks like the ground was passed over by water and left a wavelike almost fluid looking mold behind.

I think that "wave-like fluid looking" feature is wind-blown sand dunes.

Is that proof that water did indeed flow freely on Mars in the recent past? How did those holes even get there? An important find for sure!!!

There's plenty of very solid evidence that water freely flowed on Mars in the past (mainstream science does NOT deny that idea). These sinkholes could have been formed water creating a void under it, and the material above falling into the void OR it could have been lava (not water) that created the void.
edit on 12/6/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Thanks, I really appreciate that.

I'll throw out my idea as to how they were created. It was a big worm.
?

edit on 6-12-2010 by Oozii because: Fix Text.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Awesome photos. S & F. This should definitely be a site where some probes/rovers/men? should be sent. Who knows what lies inside those holes. There could be an entire tunnel network and ecosystem down there for all we know.

There is solid evidence that Mars has a water permafrost, and may sometimes have liquid water briefly on the surface. We've all seen those pictures of erosion channels on mars:

Recently at the Opportunity rover site NASA states that quote: "The investigations determined that, under a thin covering of windblown sand and dust, relatively insoluble minerals are concentrated near the surface and more-soluble ferric sulfates have higher concentrations below that layer. This pattern suggests water has moved downward through the soil, dissolving and carrying the ferric sulfates. " This is happening RIGHT NOW!

link: marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 6-12-2010 by Nicolas Flamel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
wow how did you find these. i think mabe we might find primative life inside of mars cause there could be a water source inside mars + mars life on the surface would be inproabable because of the violent storms but there isnt any storms inside of mars so there may very well be life not on but inside mars

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Alien base?

Not saying it is, but it could be.

I know you don't want to read that but that's your problem.

Thanks for the post.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join