It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could modern man survive through another ice age?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

For your skirts, bloomers are excellent, flannel especially.

And I assume there would be power, but would there be enough for us "all" to have some? Would it be capitalized upon, taxed out the wazoo, and thereby made virtually impossible for some, if not most? Oil freezes at about 20ish degrees below fahrenheit, that in itself could end up being a problem. I would assume there would be no motor vehicles during an ice age, not those powered by current means anyway.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by recycled

Since -20 is only -28.8888888, in Celsius its not that bad that's a Canadian winter, we have antifreeze and park our car in a garage, and if its insulated its actually not that bad. Electricity can be harvested from solar and wind. Ice ages are only bad if your not use to it so anyone south is going to have a much harder time, if your use to the cold you can survive. Another method used to stay warm is by putting on an extra layer of fat so obesity in this case may actually benefit people,

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
hahahahaha, if a true ice age ever hit this world in our future, it would be like living on the north and south poles, where everything is frozen solid "ICE AGE"

it would definitely separate the survivors from the ice sickles

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by recycled

Check out Aquaponics...or just straight hydroponics...with LED UV lights hooked up to an invertor/battery bank being charged by wind/solar...start up cost is high but I would rather eat food than money!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
As it appears that Modern Man freaks out when he is told that toys aren't included in Happy Meals anymore...

No.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
An Ice age would be an average temp drop of probably 1o degrees. It doesn't mean we would never see sun or dry ground in all areas of the world.

We would be fine as a species.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Of course we can, and Ice Age won't freeze all the planet, there will still be warm areas, less that now, but there will be.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I agree. Of course we can, but I don't think it will come to that.

Unless TPTB do something stupid like fudge with the climate by spraying garbage in the atmosphere, or messing with the ionoshpere or...

Nevermind...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
If the world reglaciated, the oceans would receed dramaticly. Just as in the past. New land would open up so it wouldnt really matter.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
There may be a bit of a die-off, yet humanity as a whole will probably survive.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
no I would not survive without heat. I live in Ohio and it is already prematurely cold here. We are having January weather and I am wondering what the heck is going on with the weather,some parts of NY have already had 4 ft of snow. Cleveland has a bunch of snow. I am praying already for spring. I can not stand to be cold.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoodearth
As it appears that Modern Man freaks out when he is told that toys aren't included in Happy Meals anymore...

No.

Too funny and unfortunately too true!

IMO however man as a species should survive, there will be a massive die off of exposure / starvation, but as a whole, man will still be here.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Humanity would most certainly survive. The Neanderthal culture spread to every climate on the globe except glacial, and even hunted and trekked across glaciers to get to isolated pockets of food.

But the OP asked, would modern man survive, which is a different question entirely. Basically, all of the climate zones would shift south. If it were a full-blown glaciation, ALL of Canada would be under a sheet of ice eventually a mile thick.

There is a body of emerging research (in the definite minority) that claims that glaciers can appear and spread at a rate of up to several miles per year. If that were true, an "ice age" could hit in a single generation.

If half of the humans starved to death or succumbed to epidemics, there'd be too few of us to man the infrastructure. No oil refining, no electricity generated, no cable news. Sure the survivors would benefit from the knowledge-base of the modern age, probably even preserving much of our science and medicine.

But how "modern" would those survivors really be?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Absolutely. An ice age does not mean the whole world is covered in ice. But even in those parts that are, we are far better equipped to survive than our ancestors were. All the canned food won't just disappear. Even an idiot can light a fire with a bucket of firelighters and a zippo. Finding the wood would be a lot harder than lighting the fire, I guess. But who needs a fire? As the guy above said, people in Canada, Alaska, Scandinavia, Iceland, etc manage just fine.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
If an ice age comes it will more than likely be because of a nuclear winter, after a nuclear exchange; with so much particulate matter in the atmosphere that it blocks out the sun. If the cold and starvation didn't get you the radiation would.

www.cooperativeindividualism.org...

No survivors, game over.

Merry Christmas

edit on 22-12-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

You know that the whole concept of nuclear winter has been relegated to the scientific dustbin, right?

March 2010 article details how overblown the model for nuclear winter really was, and the fact that its creators have NEVER released their raw data or the specifics of their model.

But think about it: this 1991 Popular Science article estimates that Mt. Pinatubo's eruption was the equivalent of 2000 to 3000 Hiroshima bombs. And it had practically no impact on world weather in the ensuing decade.

Nuclear winter may have just been part of the dark age of politically active science.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join